Brewer Fanatic

Future 1B Options

For a team that prides itself in defensive flexibility, it amazes me that so few of the current Brewers can adequately play defense at 1B. If Escobar - who had never played there before - can adapt to be adequate there, why can’t the Brewers test Urius at 1B? He has proven that he is not an MLB SS … He would be as good as Hiura no doubt. It seems Escobar would be the better choice as a fill-in SS for Adames until he’s healthy.

My hope is that during the offseason, the Brewers encourage Yelich, Taylor, & (if re-signed) Garcia to learn the position as well. I’m disappointed that Milwaukee recalled Maile as a 3rd C rather than bringing up Nunez from Nashville to be a RH bat & 1B during the final few weeks of the season. Tellez is adequate defensively, but I don’t like seeing Vogelbach play there.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maile is up so they can sit Pina and Navarez down the stretch. No reason for those guys to get more than a handful of AB's after this week.

Trouble with the new 28 man roster rule is that in the past after a team celebrates winning a division, it sits every regular the next day. They don't have that luxury this year and with much of the lineup nursing injuries, is a concern for this team

With all of our young outfielders coming, I suspect that Yelich ends up our full time 1B in a couple of years.

I could see this happening - but probably not for at least another year. But yeah, Yelich as 1B might be in our best long term interests.

Yeah, but only if he is hitting.

Current Yelich at 1B isn't going to cut it offensively, and I'd guess he'd have some defensive struggles to add to his lack of offense, which puts us where we always seem to be at 1B...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Brewers 1B during the Stearns & company era...

2016 1B: 677 PAs | 110 wRC+ (13th) | 0.7 WAR (18th)

2017 1B: 713 PAs | 132 wRC+ (7th) | 3.6 WAR (10th)

2018 1B: 725 PAs | 129 wRC+ (5th) | 3.2 WAR (7th)

2019 1B: 697 PAs | 108 wRC+ (15th) | 1.7 WAR (15th)

2016-19 1B: 2812 PAs | 120 wRC+ (7th) | 9.2 WAR (10th)

2020 1B: 241 PAs | 102 wRC+ (18th) | 0.3 WAR (22nd)

2021 1B: 613 PAs | 91 wRC+ (25th) | -0.3 WAR (28th)

2020-21 1B: 854 PAs | 94 wRC+ (26th) | 0.0 WAR (27th)

Yes, Brewers 1B have been bad the last two years. If it feels like that's where they always seem to be you might be experiencing some degree of recency bias.

With all of our young outfielders coming, I suspect that Yelich ends up our full time 1B in a couple of years.

I could see this happening - but probably not for at least another year. But yeah, Yelich as 1B might be in our best long term interests.

Yeah, but only if he is hitting.

Current Yelich at 1B isn't going to cut it offensively, and I'd guess he'd have some defensive struggles to add to his lack of offense, which puts us where we always seem to be at 1B...

This isn't comparing Yelich at 1B to all the other NL 1B. This whole assumption is that Yelich has to play somewhere. So it is assuming that we would have better production and/or cost savings from the OF that replaces Yelich than the 1B that Yelich replaces. replacement OF > replaced 1B. This is assuming Yelich isn't terrible at 1B defensively, and maybe keeps him healthier during the season.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Regarding Yelich as a 1B option.

1. I believe he played 1B in high school. At least, that's what people have said. So it's not like it would be totally new to him. He seems athletic enough to make such as move.

2. As noted, perhaps it would help temper some of the various injuries he's dealt with over the year (or not - just an idea).

3. Yelich is a pretty tall guy - so it seems like he'd have the extra length a lot of people want in a 1B.

4. It's not like we're moving the world's greatest LF from the game. While he won a gold glove in 2014, his defense was never that great, and it has steadily deteriorated. It gives the team an opportunity to improve the OF defense by making the move.

5. Our options are not that great at this time. Vogelbach. Tellez. Hiura.

We've got Yelich for the next 7 years. He makes far too much money to not play. It doesn't have to be 1B - but there are some good reasons for it. And even if he's not that great - even a mediocre Yelich can be a positive.

• 3 weeks later...
Isn't Chris Taylor the perfect FA fit for the Brewers? Has never played 1B, but neither had Escobar. Can be moved almost anywhere when he's not playing there. Strikes out a ton but when has that bothered Stearns?

Geez, I would certainly hope to do better than Chris Taylor. I'd rather roll with Rowdy...

Eh, Taylor is pretty solid, definitely better player than Rowdy. The bats aren't that different, though, and I don't like taking a guy whose main value lies in his versatility and pigeonholing him to one position, especially when that position is 1B.

Eh, Taylor is pretty solid, definitely better player than Rowdy. The bats aren't that different, though, and I don't like taking a guy whose main value lies in his versatility and pigeonholing him to one position, especially when that position is 1B.

Compare his cost to Rowdy. Taylor made 7.8 million in 2021, do you think he'll play for Rowdy's contract ($600,000)

We are going to be saddled with contracts from JBJ, Cain and Yelich that far exceed their value to this team. I'm afraid that signing guys for a lot of money won't be possible this off season unless they find a way to unload some of that salary.

Someone on Brewerfan.net predicted that Jeff McNeil would become the next Christian Yelich but it appears the opposite has happened.

Looked awesome for awhile, followed by looking average? It appears that McNeil has looked exactly like Yelich.

That said, I'd still target the hell out of him if the Mets were looking to move him.

I think with the money we have tied up in Cain, JBJ, and Yelich, that Tellez is our guy next year. I am actually ok with it. Would like to see what he can do with a full year. Hoping to see some "best shape of his life" fluff pieces on him next spring training.

Yep, looking like Tellez / Vogelbach getting first crack at 1B and DH next year. They are cheap and can be decent. Hiura will be in AAA or part of a trade (my guess is they give him time at AAA). I'd like to see Escobar come back and give some help at 1B, but wonder if he'll cost too much with the current commitments and Arbitration increases.

A lot of this may be decided by how the playoffs go this year. I don't think they'd overreact, but a huge playoffs for one of these guys would solidify their position, but a bad playoffs could cause the team to look for options.

Compare his cost to Rowdy. Taylor made 7.8 million in 2021, do you think he'll play for Rowdy's contract ($600,000)

We are going to be saddled with contracts from JBJ, Cain and Yelich that far exceed their value to this team. I'm afraid that signing guys for a lot of money won't be possible this off season unless they find a way to unload some of that salary.

I'm not advocating for Taylor at 1B next year. I agree that Tellez probably gets a shot barring some big trade acquisition. Just stating that Taylor is definitely the superior overall player, mainly due to his versatility.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.fcgi?id=olsonma02&year=2021&t=b

I'm still driving the Matt Olson bandwagon. Had a pretty big reverse platoon split this season (which is good for this lineup), but over his career has hit righties better.

I know most people will prefer to stay with Rowdy, but I'd swing for the fences (haha, see what I did there) while the window is open.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.fcgi?id=olsonma02&year=2021&t=b

I'm still driving the Matt Olson bandwagon. Had a pretty big reverse platoon split this season (which is good for this lineup), but over his career has hit righties better.

I know most people will prefer to stay with Rowdy, but I'd swing for the fences (haha, see what I did there) while the window is open.

Sure don't think anybody would be disappointed to land Matt Olson, I know I wouldn't. I guess as with anything else it depends on the price. I think you're probably talking a package of 3 to 4 decent prospects centered on one of Mitchell or Turang to get it done.

Sure don't think anybody would be disappointed to land Matt Olson, I know I wouldn't. I guess as with anything else it depends on the price. I think you're probably talking a package of 3 to 4 decent prospects centered on one of Mitchell or Turang to get it done.

We have a lot of prospect huggers around here. And I get that to a degree. The window is wiiiiiide open right now though.

Adding a bat like Olson opens it further, for a couple years anyway. I would be hesitant to part with Mitchell, just because he's close and he fills an obvious need, but everyone else is fair game from my POV.

Being aggressive with our position player prospects is totally fine for me. Trading away arms is where I get uncomfortable. They seem to have turned a corner with targeting quality arms and developing those arms into something special. Pitching wins at the end of the day. The Brewers for the first time in their history might actually have an abundance of it. Keep going in that direction and the wins will pile up.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.