Brewer Fanatic

Minor League OF Roster Crunch

This is my first post on this forum, but I have been lurking for a few weeks and happy to be here.

Inspired by a discussion in the 9/12 Link Report regarding the amount of OFers that are on the path to be starting next year at AA including:

Carlos Rodriguez, Je'Von Ward, LG Castillo, Joey Wiemer, Joe Gray Jr, Garrett Mitchell, Korry Howell, Tristen Lutz and Jesus Lujano with Sal Frelick likely to be there a little later in the 2022 season if he keeps on this progression path.

I would say that it is highly likely that front office looks to deal at least a little from this group of prospects going into next season. Might be a little bit of a contrarian take, but I would look to capitalize high on the seasons of Wiemer and Gray and swing a deal to try and replenish the pitching depth across the system.

What ideas would others have?

Welcome to the forum.

Dealing from the minor league OF surplus definitely makes sense if Stearns & company look to go the trade route to fill some organizational holes this offseason.

The only pressing need would probably be somebody to replace Garcia if he leaves. 1B would be the other easy spot to upgrade, though it doesn't seem like Stearns & company's MO to give up serious value for a position they haven't typically invested in too heavily.

Pitching at the minor league level could use an infusion too, but prospect for prospect trades are pretty rare so that's probably a longshot.

Here's a name that just popped in my head, Ketel Marte. Arizona is going nowhere, he's a switch hitter with up the middle positional versatility and is on a team friendly extension that pays 8 million in 2022 with 10/12 million team options for 2023/24.

Since 2019 he's posted a 319/375/541 (137 wRC+) line with a 13.9% K rate & tallied 9.5 WAR, 28th best in that span. He wouldn't be cheap, but entering his age 28 season in 2022 lines up nicely with our current MLB core.

I don't think Lutz is in the equation anymore. Hope I'm wrong but.......

Wow...dude has been just fine his entire career up until this year. Like 99% of players, he probably isn't in the equation, but kinda harsh on a 22 year old who has had a .755 OPS in his MiLB career.

I remember when people got bored with Trent Grisham...he seems to be turning out okay. Lutz was a HS guy...they can have rocky paths and take awhile to blossom.

Wow...dude has been just fine his entire career up until this year. Like 99% of players, he probably isn't in the equation, but kinda harsh on a 22 year old who has had a .755 OPS in his MiLB career.

I remember when people got bored with Trent Grisham...he seems to be turning out okay. Lutz was a HS guy...they can have rocky paths and take awhile to blossom.

Facts are facts though. Lutz has K'd 404 times in 1265 career minor league at bats. His career slugging percentage in the minor leagues is .427.

A minor league outfielder who strikes out 32% of the time and has below average power doesn't have a path to the major leagues. No harm in being patient, but certainly a disappointing career so far for a first round pick.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Given that we may not be selecting many in-house contracts before the Rule 5 Draft this year (e.g. Korry Howell, max 1-2 others), we’ll likely have a few 40-man roster slots to fill.

I’d expect trades for other teams’ fringe up-and-comers like we did for Mark Mathias and JP Feyereisen, so this AA/A+ outfield pool will be natural to trade from.

Guys like Tristen Lutz or Carlos Rodriguez could be used to fetch slightly better-rated players.

Other players (e.g. LG Castillo, Je’Von Ward, Jesus Lujano) could be swapped for AAAA-type players who’ve been DFA’d (like the Paxton Schultz trade for Derek Fisher).

Facts are facts though. Lutz has K'd 404 times in 1265 career minor league at bats. His career slugging percentage in the minor leagues is .427.

A minor league outfielder who strikes out 32% of the time and has below average power doesn't have a path to the major leagues. No harm in being patient, but certainly a disappointing career so far for a first round pick.

I've never been impressed with his A / A+ stats.

But, considering he didn't play in 2020, was bumped to AA, who knows how that is going to effect different people, I am willing to give him a mulligan for 2021. 2022 will be the pass/fail.