Brewer Fanatic

Pitching with Fever gone

valpocrewsader

Thought this could use its own thread. Anyone on this team ever pitched in a softball league before? Who feels the most comfortable? Anyone been practicing?

Who are our leading candidates?

Al?

Robin?

Jamie?

Jimbo?

I'd add myself to the list, but I'm thinking I'm more valuable to the team at SS/3B than I am at P??

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm worried about pitching going forward....

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

I'd add myself to the list, but I'm thinking I'm more valuable to the team at SS/3B than I am at P??

True. That's why I've been practicing on my own. I feel it's the best way for me to contribute to the team.

I'm getting better, but BP yesterday shows I'm still not quite game ready. Razzzor was pretty good with his control.

One thing I have learned this season is how much of a killer walks are. Let's say against White House instead of 7 walks instead 4 doubles and 3 fly outs, they score 19 in five innings as opposed to 28. Against Landmark we drew 12 walks - if half of those are singles and the other half outs, we score only 10 instead of 23.

I think we should go whomever has the best control, not neccessarily the best spin or arc.

I hope everyone can stomach one more stat post. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Looking at the stat page, our opponents average about one walk every nine batters. I think that's the standard we should use in finding our next pitcher.

p(walk) = p(ball)*p(2-0 count) + p(ball)*p(2-1 count) <= .11

set x = p(strike)

p(walk) = (1-x)[(1-x)^2] + (1-x)*[C(3,1)*x*(1-x)^2] <= .11

solve for x, x >= 2/3

For anyone practicing, shoot for two-thirds strikes. Any fewer than that leads to too many walks which would get ugly real quick.

To put it real simple, Jimbo...you guys should aim for 3 walks or less per game. Walking two to three like I did was too much in my mind because I know I can do even better, but it's not back-breaking. When you get to 4 or more though those walks will kill you.

Edit: Also that stat you have for us combined walking 1 every 9 batters is very misleading. Jamie has an inflated number of walks in a short stint and Robin/Razzor will be the first ones to tell you that when they appeared the opposition was swinging away and taking no pitches. Walk 1 out of 9 batters and you'll need to score a minimum of 15 runs to win another game.

Just stick to a goal of 3 walks or less a game and you'll be fine. It's not out of anyone's ability, someone just needs to put in the practice time.

My words were a bit confusing, my bad.

Our opposition walks *us* about one time in nine, which comes out to about four per game. Since we've played a half-season, I think that's a big enough sample size for a league standard.

But you're correct, Fever. A successful team needs to limit the walks to about three max.

I'm not sure if I can field anything by next week, which includes pitcher so I'm going to have to get someone to take the position. Gimmie a bit and I 'll figure out who I want out there ok?
-I used to have a neat-o signature, but it got erased.

I don't know how effective I'll be. I usually only pitch in mop up innings when the opposing team will swing at close pitches. If I started a game and they start taking pitches, I've got a good chance to start walking people. I can fill in for an IF position if need be.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Archived