Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Sunday 9/12

Mass Haas

http://www.brewerfan.net/images/store/dailylinkreport.jpg

Organizational Scoreboard including starting pitcher info, game times, MiLB TV links, and box scores

Links for affiliate audio

Standings and sortable stat pages

MiLB.TV options: Nashville and Biloxi are home. Road feeds available for the others.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The Mudcats play their final home game of the season, trying to get within 1 game of first place Down East. Alex Binelas has taken on the Big Bat role (1.090 OPS in 100 PAs):

[attachment=0]EF0619BE-11BC-43BD-8E0B-B0F47F333A2F.jpeg[/attachment]

The Timber Rattlers also play their final home game of the season today, needing to end a 4-game skid. Freddy Zamora has an 8-game hitting streak:

1 - Frelick - CF

2 - Valerio - 2B

3 - Wiemer - RF

4 - Warren - 1B

5 - Zamora - SS

6 - Gray - LF

7 - Castillo - DH

8 - Hall - C

9 - Pinero - 3B

X - Shook - P

Biloxi tries to bounce back from yesterday’s loss. Jesus Castillo is on the mound going for a second straight win:

1 - Howell - CF

2 - Hamilton - SS

3 - Dillard - 1B

4 - Palma - DH

5 - Lutz - RF

6 - Devanney - 3B

7 - Lujano - LF

8 - Cantrelle - 2B

9 - Diaz - C

X - J. Castillo - P

Joey Wiemer hit another HR today... 11 with the T-Rats now in 28 games. A cool 1.173 OPS in High-A. Not too shabby...

He is on a massive heater. It's at the point where I'm surprised he doesn't get an extra-base hit.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Joey Wiemer hit another HR today... 11 with the T-Rats now in 28 games. A cool 1.173 OPS in High-A. Not too shabby...

He is on a massive heater. It's at the point where I'm surprised he doesn't get an extra-base hit.

It's likely not going to happen right away next season, but I'm starting to wonder if Wiemer is going to be the eventual replacement for Avi Garcia. The way things are shaping up, Wiemer will likely start at Biloxi net season, if not make the jump to Nashville.

It's likely not going to happen right away next season, but I'm starting to wonder if Wiemer is going to be the eventual replacement for Avi Garcia. The way things are shaping up, Wiemer will likely start at Biloxi net season, if not make the jump to Nashville.

I do think Avi and Wiemer have very similar profiles. Big raw power, questions whether they can/could get to it in games. Really big dudes who can run much faster than you’d think, can both play center in a pinch. Really good arms in right field and solid defenders out there. Definitely wouldn’t surprise me if, by 2023, Wiemer was in that role.

That idea (putting Wiemer directly into AA next year) brings up a conundrum the Brewers will likely have in the outfield. Ordinarily, several Wisconsin OFs have done enough to move up: Carlos Rodriguez, Je’Von Ward, LG Castillo, Wiemer, Gray. But we’ve also got Mitchell, Howell, Lutz and Lujano in AA. That’s a crazy number 9 outfielders who belong in AA to start next year.

That idea (putting Wiemer directly into AA next year) brings up a conundrum the Brewers will likely have in the outfield. Ordinarily, several Wisconsin OFs have done enough to move up: Carlos Rodriguez, Je’Von Ward, LG Castillo, Wiemer, Gray. But we’ve also got Mitchell, Howell, Lutz and Lujano in AA. That’s a crazy number 9 outfielders who belong in AA to start next year.

I've got a feeling Lujano (final year before minor league free agency I believe, have to push him) and one of the Mitchell, Howell, Lutz group start next season at AAA, and Rodriguez, Gray and Frelick are joined by Campbell and Bello in A+. Ward and Castillo almost have to be moved up because of time in the system (and Castillo, at least, has been putting up good numbers) and Wiemer seems to be forcing his way to Biloxi.

I've got a feeling Lujano (final year before minor league free agency I believe, have to push him) and one of the Mitchell, Howell, Lutz group start next season at AAA, and Rodriguez, Gray and Frelick are joined by Campbell and Bello in A+. Ward and Castillo almost have to be moved up because of time in the system (and Castillo, at least, has been putting up good numbers) and Wiemer seems to be forcing his way to Biloxi.

It's a lot of guys with varying degrees of intrigue for sure. And that's still with Hedbert/Hendry waiting in the wings. Based on performance/age, I'd probably go something like...

AAA: Lujano

AA: Mitchell, Wiemer, Howell, Lutz, Castillo

A+: JGJ, Frelick, Ward, Rodriguez, Campbell

Wiemer hits the ball too hard and far to be considered a top 100 prospect though

I have no detailed proof of this, but I'd imagine there might be quite a few prospects drafted later on during last year's COVID draft that are turning heads with their initial performance - simply because it was a weird draft and there wasn't an initial minor league season for them to break in last year. Wiemer is definitely exhibit A from the Brewers' 2020 draft of that - Guys with his tools typically wouldn't last beyond pick #100, and the lack of a collegiate baseball season before last year's draft likely prevented him from rocketing up draft boards last May/June. It sure seems like the extra year of whatever instruction/drills they had Wiemer working on to harness the raw tools he has in the batters box is paying huge dividends.

• 2 weeks later...

Mudcats Fall 5-2 to Wood Ducks, Dropping Series 2-4

https://www.milb.com/carolina-mudcats/news/carolina-falls-5-2-in-home-finale

Noah Campbell’s 2-run double gave the Mudcats a 2-0 lead in the first, but it was downhill from there.

Ethan Murray – 2-4, double

Noah Campbell – 1-4, double, 2 RBIs

Brailin Rodriguez took the loss – 3 innings, 3 ER, 1 K

Miguel Guerrero, James Meeker – combined 3.0 innings, no runs, 1 K

Micah Bello threw out a runner at 3rd base

https://www.milb.com/gameday/wood-ducks-vs-mudcats/2021/09/12/649463#game_state=final,lock_state=final,game_tab=box,game=649463

Timber Rattlers Beat Kernels 5-4, Led by Wiemer, Pinero and Reifert

https://www.milb.com/wisconsin/news/wisconsin-wins-home-finale

The team raced out to a 4-0 lead after two innings, then held on to win.

Joey Wiemer – 2-4, HR, 2 RBIs, 1 SB

Antonio Pinero – 1-3, HR, 2 RBIs

Zavier Warren – 1-2, 2 walks

Freddy Zamora – 1-4, 2B, 1 RBI

Joe Gray Jr. – 0-1, walk, 2 HBPs

TJ Shook started – 4.0 innings, 2 ER, 5 Ks

Brady Schanuel got the win – 1.0 inning, zero runs, 1 K

Evan Reifert earned the save – 1.2 innings, zero runs, 3 Ks

Sal Frelick and Joe Gray Jr. threw out runners at home (4th inning) and 3rd base (6th inning)

https://www.milb.com/gameday/kernels-vs-timber-rattlers/2021/09/12/643874#game_state=final,lock_state=final,game_tab=box,game=643874

Shuckers Drop Game to Blue Wahoos 3-2, But Win Series 4-2

https://www.milb.com/biloxi/news/late-homer-not-enough-as-wahoos-take-series-finale

Alexander Palma’s 2-run HR rallied the team in the 9th, but they fell just short.

Palma – 1-4, HR, 2 RBIs

David Hamilton – 2-4, 2B

Thomas Dillard – 2-4

Jesus Castillo took the loss – 5.1 innings, 3 ER, 3 Ks

J.T. Hintzen, Robbie Hitt – combined 2.2 innings, zero runs, 3 Ks

https://www.milb.com/gameday/shuckers-vs-blue-wahoos/2021/09/12/644511#game_state=final,lock_state=final,game_tab=box,game=644511

Sounds Lose to Redbirds 6-3, But Take Series 4-2

https://www.milb.com/nashville/news/sounds-drop-series-finale-to-redbirds

The team fell behind 6-1 through 4 innings and couldn’t claw their way back.

David Fry – 2-4, 2B, 1 RBI

Christian Kelley – 1-2, 2B, walk

Keston Hiura – 1-4, 2B

Dylan File took the loss – 2.1 innings, 2 ER, 1 K

Patrick Weigel was roughed up – 2.0 innings, 4 ER, 1 K

Christian Kelly threw out two on the basepaths and Jamie Westbrook threw out a runner at 3rd base

https://www.milb.com/gameday/redbirds-vs-sounds/2021/09/12/647103#game_state=final,lock_state=final,game_tab=box,game=647103