Brewer Fanatic

If it comes down to Woody or Corbin

brewmann04

I think Woodruff may be the more extendable, given his age and when he was drafted, but the Crew might be able to pull off extending both.

Two words: Bobby Bonilla.

Offer Woodruff and Burnes eight-year, $200 million deals - with $80 million deferred, payable over 20 years at $4 million a year.

They not only get "set for life" money, they have plenty of income down the road post-baseball. Even if it's only Woodruff... a bargain, even on the 20 "out" years.

They'd be better set for life if they took a $200 million contract that pays out before they retire (which they certainly may be offered) so they can put it in the bank and let the interest and investments roll in over the next 20 years instead.

Edited by BuckyBrewer61
I am not Shea Vucinich

In this case, deferring money down the road might keep them in OUR rotation during their prime as opposed to say, the Dodgers. Or would you like `em in Cardinals red? How about pitching their home games at Wrigley Field?

Yes, if someone is going to sign a bad deal, I'd rather it be the Cardinals, Cubs, or anyone else than the Brewers.

Even if the deals Burnes and Woodruff sign won't be "bad" by MLB standards, if they keep pitching the way they are, they are likely going to be far too expensive for the Brewers. Like it or not, we already have Yelich's contract on the books and it doesn't look like anyone will take that off our hands. I don't think it's likely that we could spend around $50,000,000 per year on two players, much less $75,000,000 per year on three players.

Maybe, if the situation was right and we had a lot of pre-arby guys, we could have two $25,000,000 players on the roster in the same year, but we couldn't sustain it for the duration of a long-term deal.

We get one "shiny toy" at a time. It was Braun, now it's Yelich. Everyone else has to be lower priced, which makes it very important that we keep a strong farm that can continually pump out useful MLB players.

If we're really going to be honest, this is why Burnes and Woodruff will probably have to be traded during their arby years. In today's game, superstars are getting $20,000,000+ in their final arby year, so we probably won't be able to afford our guys even while we still have team control over them. And that's if the current arby/pre-arby system (that the players association hates) makes it through the new CBA and continues on.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

It's why I wanted to "Bonilla" the Yelich extension, too.

If you want the Crew to have something that is more than Yelich and the Crew, and something more like a core that can sustain a lengthy run, the Bonilla approach is arguably the best way to do it - if not the only way - to do it.

• 1 month later...

Man with Berrios extension earlier today, Burnes and Woody are gonna be super expensive.

I would rather trade Woody, lock up Burnes... Build rotation around him and Freddy.

Burnes

Peralta

Ashby

Small

Is a great start to a rotation.

Man with Berrios extension earlier today, Burnes and Woody are gonna be super expensive.

I would rather trade Woody, lock up Burnes... Build rotation around him and Freddy.

Burnes

Peralta

Ashby

Small

Is a great start to a rotation.

I wonder if it may come down to what other teams offer. What I mean by that is, if a team backs the truck up for Burnes maybe they take that and offer Woody an extension. They may be thinking...okay, we have a top 10 pitcher, plus x, y, and z. Which we prefer over a top 3 pitcher and a, b, and c. Or something.

I also wonder if they may look at durability. They may have a better outlook for Woody than Burnes. In which case, they may be willing to trade Burnes for that reason.