Brewer Fanatic

Wisconsinites: What’s ‘Up North’ to You?

nodakfan17

North is at the top of the map for every map I have ever looked at.

Map makers had to choose and chose wrong.

Why do you say they chose wrong? Just curious. I know it’s somewhat arbitrary and probably reflects a Euro-centric world view. But wrong?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do you say they chose wrong? Just curious. I know it’s somewhat arbitrary and probably reflects a Euro-centric world view. But wrong?

When something has no right or wrong way why not connect it to something logical? Heat rises and it's warmer in the South. Thus up South?

On a side note I've told this-for lack of a better word- joke many times though the years and have always had more pushback on it than the other thousand stupid comments I've made during that time. Not sure why this particular bit of stupid reasoning gets so much more flack than the others.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

When something has no right or wrong way why not connect it to something logical? Heat rises and it's warmer in the South. Thus up South?

On a side note I've told this-for lack of a better word- joke many times though the years and have always had more pushback on it than the other thousand stupid comments I've made during that time. Not sure why this particular bit of stupid reasoning gets so much more flack than the others.

How very northern hemispherist of you lol.

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

[sarcasm]I always knew Anaximander was a bad apple...[/sarcasm]

I grew up and live in Janesville. My aunt, uncle and grandparents all lived in Adams/Friendship when I was a wee lad, so to us, "up north" was to go visit family in Adams. The Dells wasn't "up north", but a trip to the Dells could certainly be part of going up north.

In Janesville, everything in Wisconsin is "north," except what's south of Hwy 11. ;)

I'm also from Janesville, and except for a couple of years in Green Bay in the 1990s, the farthest north I've lived has been Madison.

I'd draw my up-north line between roughly Eau Claire and Green Bay. Not quite 29, not quite 10, but north of the population centers.

Some of my Janesville relatives used to have a cabin on the Mecan River near Wautoma. They called that "up north" but I didn't.

Another Janesville uncle had a cabin in Manitowish Waters, and eventually retired there. That's DEFINITELY up north.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

How very northern hemispherist of you lol.

In my defense I did mention in this hemisphere. ;) You do bring up an interesting question though. Do all places use up and down when describing places North or South of them? Do people in Aswan Egypt say I'm going up to Cairo for example?

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

• 4 weeks later...
If there are bears in the woods around you are up north.

So Arizona would be up north?

I thought we were talking about Wisconsin. Florida has black bears too. Basically I would say for Wisconsin it's where agriculture gives way to woods which can vary especially in central WI but it pretty much lines up with the bear range.

To me “up north” was anything north of Saukville on 43, or Fon du Lac. Pewaukee was the start of “out west”

I don’t think they referred to it as “out west”, but when I lived in Kenosha going to a city west of I-94 was like going to a different country to those people even if it was only 20 minutes away.

I always thought that was kinda funny.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
When I start seeing the big pine trees, that’s when I start to think I’m “up north.” I love that feeling too! For me, on the East Side it’s when I get to Merrill. On the west side I’d say just past Rice Lake.

this makes me laugh. when I was a kid, my grandparents lived in Quincy, outside of Adams/friendship. When we passed the HUGE pines on county Z north of the Dells, that's when I knew we were "up north".

When I lived in Superior we once had a moose walk into town one day.

It became a huge event and the cops were all over guiding traffic away.

Despite the police protection, some car came along and still managed to kill the moose.

Questions are a burden.   And answers a prison for one's self.

Despite the police protection, some car came along and still managed to kill the moose.

Back in the 80's some guy shot one all the way down near La Crescent during deer hunting season. He claimed it was charging him. Well he did get charged but it was by the DNR a couple of days later, I am sure that had a pretty hefty penalty.

It surprises me that there is no stable population in northern Wisconsin while there is in both Minnesota and the UP.

Back in the 80's some guy shot one all the way down near La Crescent during deer hunting season. He claimed it was charging him. Well he did get charged but it was by the DNR a couple of days later, I am sure that had a pretty hefty penalty.

It surprises me that there is no stable population in northern Wisconsin while there is in both Minnesota and the UP.

Deer population is too dense. WI deer often carry a brain worm that pretty much takes them all out. Every single male moose that finds itself heading south looking for a mate typically dies near Highway 29 when the deer population really ramps up. The only reason Michigan has a small population is because they intentionally reintroduced them. WI considered doing the same, but instead decided to reintroduce elk in the state because they aren’t as prone to catching the brain worm.

• 5 weeks later...
I just heard a senior manager refer to Door County as ‘Up North’ and thought to myself ‘Buddy, you’re not Up North unless you can order Hamm’s in a can for $2 or less.’

I bet you can do that on the east coast of Door County :)

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I fondly recall my Door County summers back in the 1980's. My parents had a Timeshare at a place called 'The Rushes of Door County'. Times more simpler then. Or, perhaps, I was just younger and more naive. Regardless, I loved that version of Door County. Tho, I will point out: There is a 'Goats on the Roof' attraction very akin to the Door County one on Vancouver Island. They even sell you keychains of a goat pooping off a roof (if, for some reason, you're into that type of thing). I digress. I really only consider 'Up North' Wisconsin Superior. I guess, that's because I lived in Minnesota for 12 years and only consider 'Up North' there The Boundary Waters.

The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund
The Brewer Fanatic Caretaker Fund

You all care about this site. The next step is caring for it. We’re asking you to caretake this site so it can remain the premier Brewers community on the internet. Included with caretaking is ad-free browsing of Brewer Fanatic.