Brewer Fanatic

Houser, Lauer

NYChez
Who says it's impossible to keep the big three?

I wonder if offering Woodruff an 8-year, $120 million deal, with $40 million deferred ($2 million a year for 20 years after the contract) and an option year at $20 million with a $5 million buyout might not be a bad idea.

Hear me out - as an 11th round pick, he probably didn't get a huge bonus. He's 28, so why not buy out the arby and some free agency, and at the same time, lock him down with Peralta?

It might be a little more difficult with Burnes, since he got around $540K as his bonus as a 4th-round pick and he's younger than Woodruff (26), but could he go for a similar deal?

Some notable SP AAV contracts:

Gerritt Cole - $36,000,000

Stephen Strasburg - $35,000,000

Zack Wheeler - $23,600,000

Hyun-Jin Ryu - $20,000,000

Trevor Bauer - $34,000,000

Kershaw - $31,000,000

Scherzer - $34,603,480

I understand that Woodruff has some arby years remaining, but the way he's been pitching the past couple of seasons, he has to be eyeing a $30,000,000 free agent contract, and he ought to be getting some pretty hefty arby increases over the next few seasons. At his age, he knows he'll only get one shot at a big free agent contract, so I highly doubt that 8-years / $120M would be enticing enough for him, especially if you're deferring much of the pay out over twenty years. That AAV is $15,000,000, and he'll probably be making that much or more in years three and four of arby.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived