Brewer Fanatic

Is this offseason time to trade Hader?

Roderick

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
You move him if and only if we receive the type of overwhelming offer that the best closer in baseball should demand. If the offers continue to be underwhelming as they were last offseason we retain a great pitcher.

We will see how it plays out but I am doubtful that 10 million for a closer is in the budget for a team with a payroll of 95-110 million and lots of other guys getting big raises in 2022.

I think they move him

FWIW they paid Hoffman $8 mil in 2010, KRod $8 mil in 2008 and Gagne $10 mil in 2008. So $10 mil for Hader wouldn’t be so outlandish for our history. And he is light years better than these 3.

Hader had one blown save this year. Normally I feel like the difference between a good/really good closer and an elite closer isn't all that big of a deal, having Hader basically be "automatic" was pretty huge. Will he be the same going forward? Nobody can say that for sure, but I'd say if you think, even THINK he's that automatic 97% plus guy, he's worth that 10 million or so for another season.

Lots of question marks for the bullpen this coming year.

Strickland, Suter, Box played a large role this year and are free agents. We are assuming Williams heals fine and is dominate again. I’m cautious with that seeing what happened to Yelich. Different injury and position yes, but throwing hand none the less.

Hader really is the only one you know what you’ll get out of. Rest of the pen could be league min guys that balance out his larger salary.

I think it was Plush who said it. But you don’t trade Hader if you’re serious about contending. He’s an elite closer. And any return for him will be underwhelming for his value to the team.

The fact they don't spend for bats in FA shows they aren't serious about contending. What they are serious about it seems is "hoping" all the breaks go their way when/if they do make the playoffs. If they are truly serious about contending, extend the payroll by a big margin until the stud arms become FA's and after that they can strip the payroll down to nothing. If it gets you a world series it's worth it, it's the best way to do it because using "hope" as their strategy like they have been will continually get them nowhere.

Lots of question marks for the bullpen this coming year.

Strickland, Suter, Box played a large role this year and are free agents. We are assuming Williams heals fine and is dominate again. I’m cautious with that seeing what happened to Yelich. Different injury and position yes, but throwing hand none the less.

Hader really is the only one you know what you’ll get out of. Rest of the pen could be league min guys that balance out his larger salary.

I think it was Plush who said it. But you don’t trade Hader if you’re serious about contending. He’s an elite closer. And any return for him will be underwhelming for his value to the team.

The fact they don't spend for bats in FA shows they aren't serious about contending. What they are serious about it seems is "hoping" all the breaks go their way when/if they do make the playoffs. If they are truly serious about contending, extend the payroll by a big margin until the stud arms become FA's and after that they can strip the payroll down to nothing. If it gets you a world series it's worth it, it's the best way to do it because using "hope" as their strategy like they have been will continually get them nowhere.

Again, this is false. They spent 200+ million on Christian Yelich. Just because he was "already theirs" and you don't personally count that as spending, doesn't mean it doesn't count. Just because he sucks now also doesn't mean it doesn't count. Spending 200+ million on a guy that was, at the time, a premier, top 5 talent is absolutely serious. Just because you don't personally count it because it doesn't meet your very specific, oddly defined criteria, doesn't mean the team isn't serious about contending.

Again, this is false. They spent 200+ million on Christian Yelich. Just because he was "already theirs" and you don't personally count that as spending, doesn't mean it doesn't count. Just because he sucks now also doesn't mean it doesn't count. Spending 200+ million on a guy that was, at the time, a premier, top 5 talent is absolutely serious. Just because you don't personally count it because it doesn't meet your very specific, oddly defined criteria, doesn't mean the team isn't serious about contending.

You keep bringing this up it seems so you can "beat your chest" that you're right. In a sense you are...but you are PURPOSELY ignoring the whole gist of my posts on this when you KNOW damn well what I'm talking about. Yes they spend $200 million on Yelich...good for them. But the whole point is...we aren't talking TOTAL contracts, it's about YEARLY payroll, and you know this. Now if their YEARLY payroll was $200 million, you'd be spot on. And NO I don't expect them to ever have a payroll that high. Love how you repeatedly cite the "total" amount of his contract like it's the yearly total. Spend 20+ mill on a couple other bats and see what happens. Wanna bet Yelich's contract it would make a HUGE difference?? C'mon bet me..I DARE you. Now you'll say "they can't afford that" I will call total and 100% BS. Add $40 million to the payroll(2 $20 mill bats/avg) payroll is about what $135-$140 million?? And that would be WITH JBJ opting not to decline his option and also Avi NOT declining his option. Wanna tell me again, how it "can't" happen?? Keep beating that drum.

7th most wins in MLB & thee most wins in the NLC over the last half decade & that's without even being serious about contending? Pretty impressive.

Makes me feel even worse for teams like the Blue Jays (Springer), Twins (Donaldson), Angels (Rendon), Phillies (Harper, JTR), Cubs (Heyward), Reds (Castellanos, Moose), and Padres (Hosmer, Machado) who are out here being all serious about contending, spending on FA bats & still can't win more games than us.

Not sure if the Mets count as trying or not since they traded for Lindor then signed him for 341 million before reaching FA, so I left them off the list.

7th most wins in MLB & thee most wins in the NLC over the last half decade & that's without even being serious about contending? Pretty impressive.

Makes me feel even worse for teams like the Blue Jays (Springer), Twins (Donaldson), Angels (Rendon), Phillies (Harper, JTR), Cubs (Heyward), Reds (Castellanos, Moose), and Padres (Hosmer, Machado) who are out here being all serious about contending, spending on FA bats & still can't win more games than us.

Not sure if the Mets count as trying or not since they traded for Lindor then signed him for 341 million before reaching FA, so I left them off the list.

How many World series have they played in in that time?? Also, how many LCS's have they even appeared in in those years. I know your a big "stats/analytical" guy so I'm assuming you can provide the answer to this??

Wanna bet Yelich's contract it would make a HUGE difference?? C'mon bet me..I DARE you.

Is this 8th grade?

I double dog dare you.

I'm just saying, if you're going to spit off about Yelich's contract counting, when it's NOT even the context I'm talking about, then be man enough to admit that you know DAMN well I'm right about them being able to add payroll(they just refuse to) AND that even two 20 mill/yr bats would help immensely. Stop being a small time thinker and living in the "great effort, everyone gets a trophy" world you currently do, and stop being satisfied with them just making the playoffs. What is this Little League?? "Great effort guys, go get em next year" Rah rah!

Wanna bet Yelich's contract it would make a HUGE difference?? C'mon bet me..I DARE you.

Is this 8th grade?

I double dog dare you.

I'm just saying, if you're going to spit off about Yelich's contract counting, when it's NOT even the context I'm talking about, then be man enough to admit that you know DAMN well I'm right about them being able to add payroll(they just refuse to) AND that even two 20 mill/yr bats would help immensely. Stop being a small time thinker and living in the "great effort, everyone gets a trophy" world you currently do, and stop being satisfied with them just making the playoffs. What is this Little League?? "Great effort guys, go get em next year" Rah rah!

Spending more money may help. It may not. It often does. SOmetimes it doesn't.

Continuing to call people "small time thinkers" because they don't agree with your line of thinking doesn't make your ideas right and everyone else wrong.

I can want the Brewers to spend more money. I also know that the likelyhood of them doing so is super unlikely, so hoping for them to do it doesn't make me small time. I just happen to have the natural poor luck to be born in a state that has a small market team.

You keep bringing this up it seems so you can "beat your chest" that you're right. In a sense you are...but you are PURPOSELY ignoring the whole gist of my posts on this when you KNOW damn well what I'm talking about. Yes they spend $200 million on Yelich...good for them. But the whole point is...we aren't talking TOTAL contracts, it's about YEARLY payroll, and you know this. Now if their YEARLY payroll was $200 million, you'd be spot on. And NO I don't expect them to ever have a payroll that high. Love how you repeatedly cite the "total" amount of his contract like it's the yearly total. Spend 20+ mill on a couple other bats and see what happens. Wanna bet Yelich's contract it would make a HUGE difference?? C'mon bet me..I DARE you. Now you'll say "they can't afford that" I will call total and 100% BS. Add $40 million to the payroll(2 $20 mill bats/avg) payroll is about what $135-$140 million?? And that would be WITH JBJ opting not to decline his option and also Avi NOT declining his option. Wanna tell me again, how it "can't" happen?? Keep beating that drum.

You seem to convenietly forgetting that Yelich goes up by $12M plus at least $18 in arby pay already adds $30M to the payroll. Now add your "easily affordable" $40M and their payroll is now in the $175-$180M range.

You seem to convenietly forgetting that Yelich goes up by $12M plus at least $18 in arby pay already adds $30M to the payroll. Now add your "easily affordable" $40M and their payroll is now in the $175-$180M range.

According to this....https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/milwaukee-brewers/payroll/ The Brewers 2022 Payroll is 117 adjusted. However, that includes Avi's option of 12 mill, and also JBJ's option of 9.5 million. I for one happen to think neither exercises their option. That's 21.5 Million right there(there's one $20 mill bat), I also think there's a possibility Cain retires, that frees up another 17 million...OMG there's another 20 million bat. See how easy it is?? Now, you can say "but those things may not happen", true they may not. Let's say they don't...The payroll would then be the stated 117 million next year...add 2-$20 plus million bats and your at $157 million. They CAN do that for a couple of years, especially when you consider that the year after(2023) for sure Cain, Avi and JBJ's salary are all off the books. This isn't really rocket science.

So let's say you even add ONE big bat, let's say you have to pay Castellanos 25 mill/yr(that's over market value just for arguments sake), you're telling me they couldn't do that?? I wanted Castellanos the last time he was a FA, assuming he hits the same way he has, how much better would the LU look than it does??

According to this....https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/milwaukee-brewers/payroll/ The Brewers 2022 Payroll is 117 adjusted. However, that includes Avi's option of 12 mill, and also JBJ's option of 9.5 million. I for one happen to think neither exercises their option. That's 21.5 Million right there(there's one $20 mill bat), I also think there's a possibility Cain retires, that frees up another 17 million...OMG there's another 20 million bat. See how easy it is?? Now, you can say "but those things may not happen", true they may not. Let's say they don't...The payroll would then be the stated 117 million next year...add 2-$20 plus million bats and your at $157 million. They CAN do that for a couple of years, especially when you consider that the year after(2023) for sure Cain, Avi and JBJ's salary are all off the books. This isn't really rocket science.

So let's say you even add ONE big bat, let's say you have to pay Castellanos 25 mill/yr(that's over market value just for arguments sake), you're telling me they couldn't do that?? I wanted Castellanos the last time he was a FA, assuming he hits the same way he has, how much better would the LU look than it does??

You "happen to think" that neither JBJ or Avi exercise their option? That doesn't make it factual, you are basing a lot of your numbers on what you "think" will happen, and not giving the Brewers a chance to decide what they will do if what you "think" happens, happens. I happen to "think" that Garcia walks, and JBJ stays. We won't know who is right until it happens.

You also "think" there is a possibility that Cain retires. Based on what? Yup, that would free up some cash, a lot of it, but again, these are your thoughts, and until something like that happens, that money is tied up, not being sent to another 20 million bat. He would be crazy to leave that kind of money on the table. As much as I'd like him to retire, I don't see it happening.

"See how easy that is?" is a hilarious statement to make, especially basing it on some crazy predictions, and nothing factual.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

How many World series have they played in in that time?? Also, how many LCS's have they even appeared in in those years. I know your a big "stats/analytical" guy so I'm assuming you can provide the answer to this??

In the past five seasons the Dodgers have been in 3 World Series, the Astros 2 WS and the Red Sox, Nationals & Rays have been in one WS each. If the baseline for being a serious contender is making the WS, then there are only five teams out of 30 that fit the criteria. I don't think the other 25 teams are just out here goofing around.

As far as CS spots go you've got HOU (5), LAD (4), ATL (2), BOS (2), NYY (2), TBR (1), WAS (1), STL (1), CHC (1) and MIL (1).

So only five teams with more WS appearances and only five teams with more CS appearances than the Brewers over the last five years.

In the past five seasons the Dodgers have been in 3 World Series, the Astros 2 WS and the Red Sox, Nationals & Rays have been in one WS each. If the baseline for being a serious contender is making the WS, then there are only five teams out of 30 that fit the criteria. I don't think the other 25 teams are just out here goofing around.

As far as CS spots go you've got HOU (5), LAD (4), ATL (2), BOS (2), NYY (2), TBR (1), WAS (1), STL (1), CHC (1) and MIL (1).

So only five teams with more WS appearances and only five teams with more CS appearances than the Brewers over the last five years.

Don't take this the wrong way, but your posts always remind me of politicians. They can spin anything they want by providing numbers that fit their narrative, but in the end, it just feels hollow.

Yes the past few years have provided a much improved Brewers team, especially compared to anything previous, but they have still failed to win the World Series, which is the ultimate measure of success to the fans.

I don't really care how we compare to other teams as far as appearances in the play-offs, NLCS or World Series, the fact remains, we have not been able to win the World Series, much less get there. Again, I don't really care to compare to other team's success because I simply don't place any importance on other team's success. The Brewers are the only team in MLB that I care about, so I base their success or lack of, on them alone.

It is highly unlikely that any ownership group is going to be willing to guarantee that they will lose tens of millions of dollars a year for a period of time just to slightly increase the odds of going farther in the playoffs. Even if we shocked the world and raised payroll far beyond team revenue by signing a couple of players to big deals, we'd still be spending $50M-$100M less than most of the other playoff teams. Note that these players probably wouldn't sign one-year deals, so we'd be sitting on some ugly contracts for quite a while.

Detroit's owner (I believe his name was Ilitch) did this a while back, but only because he knew he only had a few years left to live and he didn't care how much of his estate he lost before he died. His kids are still working their way out of that mess. Oh, and he never did get to see his team win the World Series. Spending gobs of extra money and destroying the franchise for the foreseeable future didn't guarantee a championship but it did guarantee years of futility.

I don't think it's productive or healthy to get mad at the owner because he's not doing something that no one would (or should) ever do. Attanasio has brought winning baseball to Milwaukee, which is defying the odds since he is at a significant competitive disadvantage because of MLB's revenue structure. Hopefully, by continuing to field competitive teams while practicing fiscal responsibility, we will see a World Series winner in Milwaukee. But yes, I do use the term "hope," because nothing will guarantee a championship. Just ask the 20 teams that had a higher payroll than the Brewers this year, only one of which will win it all.

I choose to be happy that we got Attanasio as an owner. He has given hope to a previously hopeless franchise.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Don't take this the wrong way, but your posts always remind me of politicians. They can spin anything they want by providing numbers that fit their narrative, but in the end, it just feels hollow.

Yes the past few years have provided a much improved Brewers team, especially compared to anything previous, but they have still failed to win the World Series, which is the ultimate measure of success to the fans.

I don't really care how we compare to other teams as far as appearances in the play-offs, NLCS or World Series, the fact remains, we have not been able to win the World Series, much less get there. Again, I don't really care to compare to other team's success because I simply don't place any importance on other team's success. The Brewers are the only team in MLB that I care about, so I base their success or lack of, on them alone.

In baseball the numbers are the narrative, if they don't jibe with one's personal narrative they may want to reconsider. By all objective measures short of "make/win WS" the Brewers have been competitive for five seasons now.

If you don't want to measure the Brewers against other MLB teams that is certainly your prerogative, but it doesn't offer much of a base for comparison. I guess we could compare them against themselves?

1970-77 | 550-738 .427 (The Expansion Years)

1978-83 | 518-400 .564 (Molitor Yount Glory Years)

1984-86 | 215-268 .445 (Molitor Yount Hangover Years)

1987-92 | 508-464 .523 (Molitor Yount Twilight Years)

1993-06 | 981-1,219 .446 (Fourteen Years In The Wilderness)

2007-11 | 426-384 .526 (Braun Fielder Years)

2012-16 | 380-430 .469 (Late Melvin Early Stearns Years)

2017-21 | 395-314 .557 (Stearns Competitive Years)

Anyone else notice the irony that while demanding we spend more money to be possible/feasible requires previous large money contracts to either not be picked up or for them to retire. Essentially, we need current large value contracts to older players to do us a favor to get out of them, just so we can sign other large money contracts to older players. Add to that, our largest contract on the books is looking horrible right now.

And yes, I get that because you signed wrong guys previously doesn't mean you will next time, but this is inherently the risk in signing multi year large contracts and it's very difficult for the smallest market to take such risks.

Edited by tmwiese55

So for the people that say "The Brewers could NEVER have a payroll of $150 Million", let's do a hypothetical...let's say baseball had a salary floor(let's call it the anti tanking measure), and that floor was $150 Million. What would Mark A and the Brewers do?? Would they fold up shop as a franchise and cease to exist? Would he sell the team to someone else?? Or...would he continue to be the owner and pay a minimum of $150 million in salary?? I think two of these options are most realistic, because i HIGHLY doubt the Brewers or any other small market franchise would fold up shop and cease to exist.

So given that scenario..isn't it then fair to say that the Brewers absolutely COULD pay $150 million in salary they just choose not to?? Look, I'm appreciative of Mark A, way better than Selig ever was as far as spending $$. That being said, if it isn't obvious to him and the Brewers Front office that what they have been doing as far as FA signings offensively, isn't working, then it never will be. Something has to change and again HOPE(ie Hoping Yelich/Hiura turn it around) is NOT a strategy.

Most certainly there are no guarantees that anyone you sign would be the magic pill that cures it all, but dammit I'd bet anything there is a FAR better chance that signing say Nick Castellanos and/or say Freddy Freeman(these are Examples people) has a MUCH greater chance of working out the way you hoped/thought than signing guys like JBJ, and Avi(he wasn't terrible) ever would.

Mark A has new investment $$(Giannis) now, he also has other businesses, so the people that act like he can't afford to take a loss for a year(or two) because it would financially destroy him just isn't reality.

So for the people that say "The Brewers could NEVER have a payroll of $150 Million", let's do a hypothetical...let's say baseball had a salary floor(let's call it the anti tanking measure), and that floor was $150 Million. What would Mark A and the Brewers do?? Would they fold up shop as a franchise and cease to exist? Would he sell the team to someone else?? Or...would he continue to be the owner and pay a minimum of $150 million in salary?? I think two of these options are most realistic, because i HIGHLY doubt the Brewers or any other small market franchise would fold up shop and cease to exist.

So given that scenario..isn't it then fair to say that the Brewers absolutely COULD pay $150 million in salary they just choose not to?? Look, I'm appreciative of Mark A, way better than Selig ever was as far as spending $$. That being said, if it isn't obvious to him and the Brewers Front office that what they have been doing as far as FA signings offensively, isn't working, then it never will be. Something has to change and again HOPE(ie Hoping Yelich/Hiura turn it around) is NOT a strategy.

Most certainly there are no guarantees that anyone you sign would be the magic pill that cures it all, but dammit I'd bet anything there is a FAR better chance that signing say Nick Castellanos and/or say Freddy Freeman(these are Examples people) has a MUCH greater chance of working out the way you hoped/thought than signing guys like JBJ, and Avi(he wasn't terrible) ever would.

Mark A has new investment $$(Giannis) now, he also has other businesses, so the people that act like he can't afford to take a loss for a year(or two) because it would financially destroy him just isn't reality.

To be clear, in the unlikely (impossible) event that every franchise in baseball managed to survive a $150M floor, you have jacked up the average MLB salary by at least 50% if not more, so nothing has been accomplished other than extreme hyperinflation of MLB salaries.

And when Mark A. spends $150 million and the team still doesn't win a World Series, you'll be the first fan in line complaining because he didn't spend $175 million.

The recent Mets and Phillies are prime examples of teams attempting to spend "stupid money" and continuing to come up empty. And they are huge markets that can easily stomach those huge payrolls.

So given that scenario..isn't it then fair to say that the Brewers absolutely COULD pay $150 million in salary they just choose not to??

No and you do not understand finance at all and that is putting it nicely.

The recent Mets and Phillies are prime examples of teams attempting to spend "stupid money" and continuing to come up empty. And they are huge markets that can easily stomach those huge payrolls.

However, it does work for some teams (Dodgers) so obviously, if you have stupid money to spend, and you spend it in the right places, it can work...

However, it does work for some teams (Dodgers) so obviously, if you have stupid money to spend, and you spend it in the right places, it can work...

I suppose you are correct. The Dodgers did win a championship in a wierd 60-game pandemic season in front of no fans 98% of the time.

The Dodgers are also run very well from the top down, and have a very solid player development program. So yes, while they do spend stupid money, that isn't the only way they build.