Brewer Fanatic

Is this offseason time to trade Hader?

Roderick

Unless some team offers a lop sided haul, you don’t trade Hader. Regardless of what he costs in Arby. It’s a one year deal that won’t hinder the team long term.

Hader is elite pitchers, not just relievers, in value. If you’re serious about winning in a window, Hader is closing games for this team.

Unless some team offers a lop sided haul, you don’t trade Hader. Regardless of what he costs in Arby. It’s a one year deal that won’t hinder the team long term.

Hader is elite pitchers, not just relievers, in value. If you’re serious about winning in a window, Hader is closing games for this team.

True.

However, if you are serious about maintaining continued success over the long term, which is what Attanasio and Stearns have repeatedly stated as their goal, then they will eventually trade away star players rather than have them leave for nothing in free agency.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

True.

However, if you are serious about maintaining continued success over the long term, which is what Attanasio and Stearns have repeatedly stated as their goal, then they will eventually trade away star players rather than have them leave for nothing in free agency.

I think it comes down to two things. First, if someone blows you away with a trade offer - go for it. Second, what the Brewers expectations? We will likely go into 2022 believing we can do big things. In that case, Hader should be a part of the team. If at the trade deadline next year (or next offseason or 2023 mid-season), the team has faltered for whatever reason - well, then you move Josh. Hader is gold for a team hoping to win it all. But if we falter - well, then he's a luxury - and you look to deal.

I think it comes down to two things. First, if someone blows you away with a trade offer - go for it. Second, what the Brewers expectations? We will likely go into 2022 believing we can do big things. In that case, Hader should be a part of the team. If at the trade deadline next year (or next offseason or 2023 mid-season), the team has faltered for whatever reason - well, then you move Josh. Hader is gold for a team hoping to win it all. But if we falter - well, then he's a luxury - and you look to deal.

I agree. I mentioned earlier that this offseason they should treat Hader just like they did last year. Put him on the market with a high price tag. If someone is willing to pay it, great. If not, then they play 2022 with Hader as the closer.

Assuming he's not traded, then next offseason will be the one where they are more pressured to trade him, as they would only have him for one more year. I personally don't think that they'd get that much more for trading him this offseason than next offseason, so as long as they can afford his contract, I don't see a lot of pressure to trade him. Therefore, they'd need to get a huge return for him in order for him to be traded this offseason.

However, with their stated goal of remaining continually competitive, I don't think that they will hold their star players (Hader, Burnes, Woodruff, Adames, etc.) to free agency, as that would mean they would be willing to suffer through a long, painful rebuild. I don't believe that's the plan. Rather, I think they'll look for moves like the Gomez trade, where they can flip their star players for a package that brings back some young MLB-ready talent as well as some good minor league prospects, thereby remaining competitive at the MLB level, while strengthening their farm for the future.

But, I think that we should be pretty "safe" this offseason, with most of our guys (not including "rentals" like Escobar) coming back for another round next year.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I'd guess they feel they can replace the Strickland/Box types each year for near league min costs (rather than overpaying these guys) due to their scouting and how they've been so good at identifying these types. And as long as you have Hader as the insurance policy at the end of pen you can spend a couple months sorting out the guys in front of him.

So, I'd guess it's a king's ransom or they just keep Hader and try to win it why they have him. And I'd add in that king's ransom would likely have to be a long term controlled fix of 1B/3B they really like who's ready to play now. Basically that it won't be prospects only. I'm generally happy with Urias at 3B if needed, but team would be super strong if Urias could be your Taylor from LAD type going forward. Where he plays starter level but at a ton of different position backing up 'starters' and filling in for injuries.

I think sterns know that the likelihood of keeping Corbin and Woody after their years of arby are not very high. The reality is the brewers are in a 2-3 year window where they have a legit shot to win it all. Who knows when that will happen again. This team is better with Hader being apart of the team. I think the only way he should traded would be if it makes the major league team better which would be almost impossible.

It's great what Boxberger and Strickland have done this year but I have little confidence it will repeat next year. Quite honestly don't think what they do with those guys should have any impact on what they do with Hader. King's ransom or just keep him for this World Series window.

• 2 weeks later...
With William's injury, I think it's less likely the team considers trading Hader this off season since Williams likely would have taken the closer role. Can't say it won't happen - the Williams' injury might make a deal less likely.

It all depends on how Williams recovers from the injury. The guy does things with the baseball that very few people are able to do. Will that change now that he needs surgery to fix broken bones in his pitching hand? That remains to be seen.

I think the Brewers might try to find a way to buy out Hader's arbitration years and in exchange extend his deal by one more season. Would put Josh under contract for the next 4 seasons and make him an UFA after the 2025 season, which is the same time as Woodruff and Burnes.

Would be benefits to both sides. Hader gets the security of not having to play the arbitration game anymore and still hits UFA when he is 31. Brewers then align his contract with both Woodruff and Burnes and solidifies their 2-3 year window before having to think about potential trades & rebuilding.

With William's injury, I think it's less likely the team considers trading Hader this off season since Williams likely would have taken the closer role. Can't say it won't happen - the Williams' injury might make a deal less likely.

It all depends on how Williams recovers from the injury. The guy does things with the baseball that very few people are able to do. Will that change now that he needs surgery to fix broken bones in his pitching hand? That remains to be seen.

Even if he comes back from injury fine, how can you trust him going forward? Nope, can't trade Hader this offseason now.

Even if he comes back from injury fine, how can you trust him going forward? Nope, can't trade Hader this offseason now.

So the guy makes a stupid mistake and punches a wall ... and now cannot be trusted under any circumstance going forward? Wow, tough crowd.

At this point, they may as well hang onto Hader until his final season of team control and see where they are at in the success cycle. With their bevy of starting pitchers healthy, they'll likely remain competitive and continue to have a real use for an elite late inning relief pitcher. Now couple that with the fact should the Brewers remain a contending team they're unlikely to trade Hader to a fellow competitor in the NL, and therefore the market for him narrows significantly again making any trade less likely.

So the guy makes a stupid mistake and punches a wall ... and now cannot be trusted under any circumstance going forward? Wow, tough crowd.

I'm not going to trust him to be the only known stopper in the bullpen going into next year. No.

If he isn't smart enough to punch with his offhand... He will have to earn back trust.

"If he isn't smart enough to punch with his offhand... He will have to earn back trust."

Granted I'm not getting paid for what I do with my dominant hand, but if I was angry enough to punch a wall, I'm not sure I'd have the wherewithal to switch the punching to my off hand.

"If he isn't smart enough to punch with his offhand... He will have to earn back trust."

Granted I'm not getting paid for what I do with my dominant hand, but if I was angry enough to punch a wall, I'm not sure I'd have the wherewithal to switch the punching to my off hand.

Even if it meant exiting the playoffs and the chance to lose millions of dollars?

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see a scenario where the Brewers improve offensively without going beyond their targeted budget so Hader looks to be the most likely player to be traded this offseason.

I am not sure if the Brewers get full value but he is more than likely going to be the one who gets traded this offseason.

This off-season could be the time for it to happen. Doing so would also include acquiring a closer to replace him, likely in free agency. Can’t think that the team would turn to Williams as a closer at this point, particularly after the self-injury escapade.

If Hader isn’t moved—or maybe in addition to him being moved—I wouldn’t be shocked to see a trade involving Woodruff.

Good luck bolstering the offense via Hader. You might get a younger/controllable/cheaper Avisail Garcia type after you trade Hader for prospects and flip them for a bat. Just make Attanasio open his wallet for a marginal bat if that is what you want.

Not sure I’d support any trade involving Burnes/Woodruff/Peralta.

Just implode the farm. It won’t matter in 3-4 years.

I think a Hader deal makes a lot of sense this offseason. A team like San Diego or Philadelphia, who might be able to package a current bat with some prospects?

Does a deal with San Diego for a guy like CJ Cronenworth and some minor league arms make sense? Or is that just dumb one way or another?