Brewer Fanatic

Playoff Picture for 2021

Eye Black

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea at least the Reds and Pads haven't won in forever so if they ended up going on a run it's something new. Even if we kind of don't like them due to their spending sprees of late. I see all sides though, generally speaking Pads still seem like the more talented team and Cards seem like the worst.

A lot of drama in the Braves-Giants game last night.

D’Arnaud hit a three run HR in the top of the ninth to put the Braves ahead 5 to 4.

Giants closer McGee went on the IL earlier in the day, and that bit the Giants immediately.

Then Solano hit a home run with two outs in the last of the ninth to tie it and send the game to extra innings.

In the 11th, the Giants had the bases loaded with one out and ace pitcher Gausman came up as a pinch-hitter and hit a fly ball that was just deep enough to send Crawford across the plate with the winning run.

September baseball involving playoff contenders at its finest.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Count me in the camp that wants nothing to do with the Cardinals being in the playoffs. Phillies, Padres, Reds. Anybody but the Cardinals.

If the Cardinals make the playoffs, they’re likely playing the Dodgers in the wild card game. I’m fine with them winning or losing that game.

That said, I’d be thrilled to win 5 of 7 against them and knock them out.

Clinching a playoff berth with 14 games remaining on the back of a multi-HR game by Manny Pina and HR’s from Jace Peterson and Eduardo Escobar. Just how we drew it up in April!

On a side note, Manny Pina now has 12 HR in 186 PA. Christian Yelich and Keston Hiura have combined for 12 HR in 621 PA.

So do we think the Braves or the Phillies would be a better NLDS matchup for the Crew?

The Braves are a good team. The Phillies have a negative run differential. The Phillies are a sub .500 team getting lucky.

Zach Wheeler is the best pitcher from either team, and at least according to FIP Aaron Nola is the 2nd starting best pitcher from either team. The Phillies are a more dangerous team in a short series because of those two pitchers. It would not be the same being down a couple of runs early to Charlie Morton or Max Fried.

For those planning ahead…

NLDS Game #1 (Home Game) - Friday, Oct. 8

NLDS Game #2 (Home Game) - Saturday, Oct. 9

NLDS Game #3 (Away Game) - Monday, Oct. 11

NLDS Game #4 (Away Game) - Tuesday, Oct. 12 (If Necessary)

NLDS Game #5 (Home Game) - Thursday, Oct. 14 (If Necessary)

NLCS Game #1 (Better Seed Hosts) - Saturday, Oct. 16

NLCS Game #2 (Better Seed Hosts) - Sunday, Oct. 17

NLCS Game #3 - Tuesday, Oct. 19

NLCS Game #4 - Wednesday, Oct. 20

NLCS Game #5 - Thursday, Oct. 21 (If Necessary)

NLCS Game #6 - Saturday, Oct. 23 (Better Seed Hosts) (If Necessary)

NLCS Game #7 - Sunday, Oct. 24 (Better Seed Hosts) (If Necessary)

World Series Game #1 (Better Record Hosts) - Tuesday, Oct. 26

World Series Game #2 (Better Record Hosts) - Wednesday, Oct. 27

World Series Game #3 - Friday, Oct. 29

World Series Game #4 - Saturday, Oct. 30

World Series Game #5 - Sunday, Oct. 31 (If Necessary)

World Series Game #6 (Better Record Hosts) - Tuesday, Nov. 2 (If Necessary)

World Series Game #7 (Better Record Hosts) - Wednesday, Nov. 3 (If Necessary)

To verify, for home-field advantage for the NLCS, assuming the Brewers have the #2 seed, the only way they’d be the away team would be if they faced the #1 seed. If the #1 Wild Card would make it to the NLCS, the Brewers would have home-field advantage, right?

To verify, for home-field advantage for the NLCS, assuming the Brewers have the #2 seed, the only way they’d be the away team would be if they faced the #1 seed. If the #1 Wild Card would make it to the NLCS, the Brewers would have home-field advantage, right?

Correct, the Wild Card teams will be seeded #4 and #5 regardless of their overall record as compared to the division winners.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Correct, the Wild Card teams will be seeded #4 and #5 regardless of their overall record as compared to the division winners.

Thanks!

Sure will be gross rooting for the Cardinals in that wildcard game.

I won’t be doing it if they’re playing the Giants, and I’ll be conflicted if they’re playing the Dodgers.

I remember in 2011 right after the Brewers beat the DBacks to win their series, I settled in to watch the Cardinals play the Phillies. By all logic I should have been hoping for the Cardinals to win because it would give the Brewers home field advantage in the NLCS and eliminate the team that had been by far the powerhouse of the league all season. But, as the game unfolded, I found that I was hoping the Cardinals would lose. My distaste for the Cardinals, combined with the fact that they had beaten the Brewers 5 of 6 in September, gave me a bad feeling about facing them in the NLCS.

This year is playing out in eerily similar fashion and I have a feeling I’m going to feel the same way once I see the Cardinals on the field. I would take my chances with the Giants beating the Dodgers in the CS rather than risking another utterly disgusting Cardinals World Series appearance.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Sure will be gross rooting for the Cardinals in that wildcard game.

I won’t be doing it if they’re playing the Giants, and I’ll be conflicted if they’re playing the Dodgers.

I remember in 2011 right after the Brewers beat the DBacks to win their series, I settled in to watch the Cardinals play the Phillies. By all logic I should have been hoping for the Cardinals to win because it would give the Brewers home field advantage in the NLCS and eliminate the team that had been by far the powerhouse of the league all season. But, as the game unfolded, I found that I was hoping the Cardinals would lose. My distaste for the Cardinals, combined with the fact that they had beaten the Brewers 5 of 6 in September, gave me a bad feeling about facing them in the NLCS.

This year is playing out in eerily similar fashion and I have a feeling I’m going to feel the same way once I see the Cardinals on the field. I would take my chances with the Giants beating the Dodgers in the CS rather than risking another utterly disgusting Cardinals World Series appearance.

This year we might be better off on the road...

Maybe the losing streak is karma for thinking they're too good to celebrate clinching "just" a playoff spot.

I don’t know, but I’m 100% sure there would’ve been a narrative about them celebrating too early if a big celebration had preceded the losing streak.

Not just “at Night” anymore.