Brewer Fanatic

Playoff Picture for 2021

Eye Black

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Maybe the losing streak is karma for thinking they're too good to celebrate clinching "just" a playoff spot.

I don’t know, but I’m 100% sure there would’ve been a narrative about them celebrating too early if a big celebration had preceded the losing streak.

I mean, honestly my comment could have/should have been in blue, but there was a lot of chatter like "we've been here before" etc, etc. lol, we had the LDS/LCS in 18, a one game elimination in 19, and *whatever* last year was. If all that has people spoiled already, I don't know what to say. I know there's a bigger goal in mind, but take pride in the achievements along the way.

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe the losing streak is karma for thinking they're too good to celebrate clinching "just" a playoff spot.

I don’t know, but I’m 100% sure there would’ve been a narrative about them celebrating too early if a big celebration had preceded the losing streak.

I mean, honestly my comment could have/should have been in blue, but there was a lot of chatter like "we've been here before" etc, etc. lol, we had the LDS/LCS in 18, a one game elimination in 19, and *whatever* last year was. If all that has people spoiled already, I don't know what to say. I know there's a bigger goal in mind, but take pride in the achievements along the way.

They have certainly played like they have it in cruise control after "clinching" that playoff spot. If there is a switch to flip, it would be nice if they flipped it soon.

I agree on your last point. Aside from whether it had any lasting impact, I was a little disappointed they didn’t appear to have even a mild celebration. I tend to believe celebrating success as a collective is a positive thing to do. Having reasons to celebrate multiple times is a good thing.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I think people are psychoanalyzing the team too much with the whole they are on cruise control or they relaxed and aren't trying. They're just playing poorly right now. That's it. It's a bit disheartening, but that's it. And it just happens that the games have been against the second place team.

Count me in the camp that wants nothing to do with the Cardinals being in the playoffs. Phillies, Padres, Reds. Anybody but the Cardinals.

If the Cardinals make the playoffs, they’re likely playing the Dodgers in the wild card game. I’m fine with them winning or losing that game.

That said, I’d be thrilled to win 5 of 7 against them and knock them out.

Wow, things have sure changed in a matter of 5 days.

I think people are psychoanalyzing the team too much with the whole they are on cruise control or they relaxed and aren't trying. They're just playing poorly right now. That's it. It's a bit disheartening, but that's it. And it just happens that the games have been against the second place team.

Agreed. Just so happens that it’s basically everyone. Makes things seem worse than they probably are. Adames is our spark plug and he’s just getting his feet wet again. We will be okay.

I would be a bit more concerned if it was Woodruff/Peralta/Burnes/Hader/Williams etc. imploding. Those are guys you would be worried are getting burnt out and might be hitting a wall. However, they have all been doing pretty well. Even their bad starts are hardly concerning and rarely are multiple strung together.

The offense? Meh, they go through cold streaks many times during the year. Some long, some short...I am sure it will be very different some October 8th.

People are always way too concerned about how a team enters the postseason. On a cold streak we are concerned we are going to get swept out of the gate, if we were on a big winning streak everyone would be worried that we are peaking too early. No matter how we go into the postseason all bets are off on how different players react to a 4 game lay-off before the first pitch of the NLDS. Some of these starters may not throw in a game for quite awhile before seeing action. I imagine they will try to throw nearly all the BP arms in the final game of the year, but then those players may go over a week before seeing game action.

I would be a bit more concerned if it was Woodruff/Peralta/Burnes/Hader/Williams etc. imploding. Those are guys you would be worried are getting burnt out and might be hitting a wall. However, they have all been doing pretty well. Even their bad starts are hardly concerning and rarely are multiple strung together.

The offense? Meh, they go through cold streaks many times during the year. Some long, some short...I am sure it will be very different some October 8th.

People are always way too concerned about how a team enters the postseason. On a cold streak we are concerned we are going to get swept out of the gate, if we were on a big winning streak everyone would be worried that we are peaking too early. No matter how we go into the postseason all bets are off on how different players react to a 4 game lay-off before the first pitch of the NLDS. Some of these starters may not throw in a game for quite awhile before seeing action. I imagine they will try to throw nearly all the BP arms in the final game of the year, but then those players may go over a week before seeing game action.

Isn’t this so true though? Those 5 pitchers have been the anchor of this team all year. That will stay true during the playoffs. Sprinkle in a houser/Lauer/asbhy/etc. We need those 5 strong and effective in 3 weeks. Offense is a fickle thing. Slumps happen. Likely won’t score a ton in playoffs either with other elite pitching against us. Pitching and defense.

This is getting ridiculous. Just clinch the damn division already so you can start lining things up for the opening round.

They can line things up for the playoffs now if they want (and maybe already have begun to).

The Brewers would literally have to lose every single game left on their schedule, and the Cardinals would have to go 9-2 just to force a tie for the division.

Likewise, the Brewers would need to lose every game left on their schedule and the Braves would need to run the table to pass the Brewers as the #2 seed.

They're going to win the Division and be the #2 seed in the playoffs. When that "mathematically" occurs is irrelevant.

One of the biggest games left on the schedule for any team is today at 7:10 ET.

The Padres will be playing the Braves as the away team, you lost yet? The Padres were in Atlanta on 7/21 and the game had to be paused in the middle of the 5th inning. That game will be started back up tonight before their scheduled game in San Diego tonight, the score is 5-4 in favor of the Padres. This is a massive game for the Braves as they only lead the Phillies by 2 games now.

It gets even more wacky. The 7/21 game was a double header, so they will only be playing a 7 inning game for the restart game. The rosters apply to whoever was in the game when it was paused. So any pitcher who had pitched cannot pitch today. Any positional player is considered in so there will be a flurry of substitutions in the bottom of the 5th for guys who aren't currently on the team.

The second game tonight is not considered as part of a double header and will be a full 9 innings.

Call it a gut feeling but I’d rather face the Braves than the Phillies. I just wouldn’t be excited to face guys like Wheeler, Nola, Harper, etc. Phillies are playing good ball right now.

I’m not sure I’d put Nola on that list. He has ace stuff and potential, but his performance this year has been spotty at best. He has occasional dominating days, but has been shelled pretty frequently this year.

I think the Phillies would have the least impressive starting pitching on paper of any team in the NL playoffs.

I don’t see a great advantage to playing either the Braves or Phillies. Either would be tough, but not as strong as the Dodgers or Giants or The Team That Shall Not Be Named.

Edited by BruisedCrew
Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

I think I’d prefer the Phillies and it seems pretty obvious. Their pitching staff looks a little less daunting and certainly when it comes to their bullpen. Offensively the Braves have a pretty deep line up, do they not? Seem like the Phillies have struggled on the road and the Braves are the exact opposite of that.

One team has a run differential of +118 and the other is -2. Seems like a no brainer to me.

I think I’d prefer the Phillies and it seems pretty obvious. Their pitching staff looks a little less daunting and certainly when it comes to their bullpen. Offensively the Braves have a pretty deep line up, do they not? Seem like the Phillies have struggled on the road and the Braves are the exact opposite of that.

One team has a run differential of +118 and the other is -2. Seems like a no brainer to me.

In a 5 game series, I'd rather face the team that couldn't start Wheeler two of those games and that doesn't have Harper in the middle of their lineup. Harper is on a serious heater down the stretch and probably deserves the NL mvp and wheeler covers up alot of their pitching issues when he is starting.

Everyone in the playoffs is fully capable....I am in the camp that the Dodgers are by far the scariest opponent, and the Cards are the team I least want to face for emotional reasons.

Beyond that, I don't think it matters much. I think, though, the Phillies are a better matchup. That bullpen is built for October meltdown.

Man, the Padres should really try to go all-in and go for it one of these years. Must have a cheap owner or something.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The Padres are officially eliminated from the postseason. What an unbelievably disappointing season for those guys.

On August 10th they were 67 - 49. Season high 18 games over .500. SInce then they have pooped their pants to the tune of an 11 - 27 record, and now have to win 3 games still in the last week just to finish .500 for the season. 2 against ATL, 3 against LA, and 3 against SF, and there's a real chance they don't make it to .500. What a fall.

The Padres are officially eliminated from the postseason. What an unbelievably disappointing season for those guys.

On August 10th they were 67 - 49. Season high 18 games over .500. SInce then they have pooped their pants to the tune of an 11 - 27 record, and now have to win 3 games still in the last week just to finish .500 for the season. 2 against ATL, 3 against LA, and 3 against SF, and there's a real chance they don't make it to .500. What a fall.

This season has provided quite a few examples of how quickly things in baseball can change. Ranging from the Padres fall to the Cardinals charge.

Still some interesting things to watch this week even if the Brewers clinch today: the Braves-Phillies race for the NL East, the Dodgers-Giants race in the NL West, and the 3 way race for the AL wild card spots.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Below is a snapshot of the NL Division races with a week to go.

Giants lead Dodgers by 2.0 games.

Giants remaining schedule:

1 game at Rockies

3 games against Dbacks (at home)

3 games against Padres (at home)

Dodgers remaining schedule:

1 game at Dbacks

3 games against Padres (at home)

3 games against Brewers (at home)

Braves lead Phillies by 1.5 games.

Braves remaining schedule:

1 game at Padres

3 games against Phillies (at home)

3 games against Mets (at home)

1 game against Rockies (at home) on Monday, Oct. 4 if necessary

Phillies remaining schedule:

1 game against Pirates (at home)

3 games at Braves

3 games at Marlins

Not just “at Night” anymore.

We are 100% locked into our playoff positioning. Can't get up to the 1 seed (wouldn't want to anyway), and can't drop to the 3 seed. Just line em up the way you want them, and get some rest. Should be Sunday lineups the rest of the way and wins are irrelevant.

Braves or Phillies await.

Thankfully we dominated into mid September and grew a massive divisional lead. If not the Cardinals would have likely done exactly what the Brewers did to the Cubs in 2018. The Cubs played well down the stretch in 2018, but we dominated everything in sight to win the divisional.

We flat out didn’t give such an opportunity to the Cardinals.