Brewer Fanatic

predictions for september roster expansion

djoctagone

players sent on optional assignment must meet a requisite stay of at least 10 days in the minor leagues, unless replacing a player on leave or the injured list.

OK, could not remember if that was only for pitchers. Didn't it use to be you could avoid the limit and call them up sooner but the player accrued service time for the entire period they were sent down?

The two for Wednesday: Vogelbach, whose rehab assignment re-start I'm convinced was a mutual agreement that the team would not place him on waivers if he extended rehab and would give the roster spot on Sept 1, and Gustave, who is on rehab assignment from the COVID IL and has already made a couple of scoreless AAA appearances.

players sent on optional assignment must meet a requisite stay of at least 10 days in the minor leagues, unless replacing a player on leave or the injured list.

OK, could not remember if that was only for pitchers. Didn't it use to be you could avoid the limit and call them up sooner but the player accrued service time for the entire period they were sent down?

i believe that you are thinking about the situation, where at season's end, if a player spends less than 20 days total on optional assignment, he does not burn that option and is credited with major league service time and pay.

mlb announced that the requisite stay for pitchers was to increase from 10 days to 15 days before the start of the 2020 season, but that rule was aborted due to covid.

The two for Wednesday: Vogelbach, whose rehab assignment re-start I'm convinced was a mutual agreement that the team would not place him on waivers if he extended rehab and would give the roster spot on Sept 1, and Gustave, who is on rehab assignment from the COVID IL and has already made a couple of scoreless AAA appearances.

neither are on the 40-man roster. whom do you remove?

At this point its really hard seeing Lopes staying on the 40 man. He's at best 4th on the depth chart at any position once Escobar is back:

2B: Wong, Peterson, Escobar, Urias, Perez, Lopes

SS: Adames, Urias, Escobar, Perez, Lopes

3B: Urias, Escobar, Perez, Lopes(?), Peterson(?)

At this point its really hard seeing Lopes staying on the 40 man. He's at best 4th on the depth chart at any position once Escobar is back:

I would generally agree with this. Escobar is due back this weekend, I think the Brewers will try to manage with Urias/Adames/Wong/Reyes/Peterson at the 3 non-1b infield spots until he's back. Lopes doesn't serve a purpose at this point barring multiple additional injuries...knocking on wood.

I would generally agree with this. Escobar is due back this weekend, I think the Brewers will try to manage with Urias/Adames/Wong/Reyes/Peterson at the 3 non-1b infield spots until he's back. Lopes doesn't serve a purpose at this point barring multiple additional injuries...knocking on wood.

kolten wong is expected to go on paternity leave, perhaps as soon as the weekend series vs. his former team. if eduardo escobar isn't activated by then, and tim lopes has already been dfa'd, do you want keston hiura as the paternity leave replacement?

Just can't see a random player like Lopes on the playoff roster. Doesn't make any sense.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Just can't see a random player like Lopes on the playoff roster. Doesn't make any sense.

I think DJ is making the point that there's a 3 game window in which lopes may have some value as an insurance policy on the bench. I don't think anyone thinks Lopes make a postseason roster barring significant injury.

kolten wong is expected to go on paternity leave, perhaps as soon as the weekend series vs. his former team. if eduardo escobar isn't activated by then, and tim lopes has already been dfa'd, do you want keston hiura as the paternity leave replacement?

They already have Reyes to backup the infield. It would be Urias/Adames/Peterson/Tellez. Lopes would be a very poor solution if there were multiple injuries long term, Robertson and Westbrook wouldn't be any worse.

It's a pretty easy call. You remove Yardley and Lopes.

Yardley and Lopes are definitely #39 and #40 on the roster. Pablo Lopez is also redundant once Escobar is healthy.

We have our answer……from McCalvy

Big Dan Vogelbach and Justin Topa are in San Francisco. Rosters expand tomorrow from 26 to 28 for September.

Yep. I'm watching the game on FS1. They have showed the Brewers dugout several times and Dan Vogelbach is present. Gotta figure he is activated tomorrow. The McCalvey tweet seems to confirm this.

if peralta isn't ready, a recall of justin topa, who is optioned when peralta is to be activated.

it seemed to be a foregone conclusion that barring injury, justin topa's stay with the club was destined to be brief. given brett anderson's early exit last night, one has to wonder if the brewers plan to shuttle a pitcher from nashville just to get a fresh arm for today's game in advance of freddy peralta's activation on friday.

dylan file pitched six innings yesterday, so he's out. alec bettinger last pitched 24 august, so he's fresh. miguel sánchez and eric yardley are eligible to be recalled. jandel gustave could be reinstated from the covid-19 list, although a corresponding move would be required on the 40-man.

all players i've suggested can be optioned when peralta needs to be activated.

i wouldn't be surprised to see bettinger recalled for today's game. he can eat innings if necessary. as a bonus, if he doesn't appear in the finale in san francisco, he could be the long relief option on friday if freddy peralta falters, and the club could option hoby milner instead.

if peralta isn't ready, a recall of justin topa, who is optioned when peralta is to be activated.

it seemed to be a foregone conclusion that barring injury, justin topa's stay with the club was destined to be brief. given brett anderson's early exit last night, one has to wonder if the brewers plan to shuttle a pitcher from nashville just to get a fresh arm for today's game in advance of freddy peralta's activation on friday.

dylan file pitched six innings yesterday, so he's out. alec bettinger last pitched 24 august, so he's fresh. miguel sánchez and eric yardley are eligible to be recalled. jandel gustave could be reinstated from the covid-19 list, although a corresponding move would be required on the 40-man.

all players i've suggested can be optioned when peralta needs to be activated.

i wouldn't be surprised to see bettinger recalled for today's game. he can eat innings if necessary. as a bonus, if he doesn't appear in the finale in san francisco, he could be the long relief option on friday if freddy peralta falters, and the club could option hoby milner instead.

Nice job.

• 3 weeks later...
It hasn't really been an issue in the past with pretty much unlimited players but does the 10 day waiting period still apply if optioned today? Probably doesn't matter too much as can just option Rea and he isn't going to be on the NLDS playoff roster without injury but just curious.