Brewer Fanatic

predictions for september roster expansion

djoctagone

the brewers can expand their roster from 26 to 28 on 1 september. what would you like to see happen?

important to note: by 1 september, all players on optional assignment will have met their requisite 10 days in the minor leagues, which means anyone is eligible to recall.

on the assumption that both corbin burnes and brandon woodruff go deep in san francisco and both games end in nine innings, i expect the brewers to recall a position player and a pitcher. my predictions:

--recall of luke maile and activation of freddy peralta on 1 september (13 position players/15 pitchers). if peralta isn't ready, a recall of justin topa, who is optioned when peralta is to be activated. use maile to give the brewers catchers some rest ahead of the postseason.

--during the philadelphia series, dfa luke maile (out of options next year) and activate daniel vogelbach--just ahead of games in american league parks (13/15).

--when it's time to activate eduardo escobar, option pablo reyes (13/15). once that happens, dfa tim lopes, reinstate jandel gustave from his rehab assignment and option him to class aaa nashville.

--when it's time to activate tyrone taylor, option hoby milner (14/14).

Think they will go with Vogelbach immediately to gave an extra bat off the bench…….don’t see Maile getting any time so doubt they bring him up.

3 catchers was always nice when September was the whole 40 man roster but now just no room for another non hitter.

adding a wrinkle to things is pending paternity leave for kolten wong, likely at the start of the homestand. one would think that if eduardo escobar is still on the injured list when it's time for wong to go on leave, that the brewers would still want tim lopes on the 40-man as a potential replacement. calling up keston hiura for three days wouldn't be horrible (and may be a better replacement than tim lopes). hiura has been seeing some action at second base with nashville.

i still think that tim lopes will be dfa'd in september to open up a spot for jandel gustave or daniel vogelbach, but i think it's risky to do while escobar is still on the injured list.

I think they'll go with Vogelbach. The other spot will also be a rotating place, much like Stearns has always treated the 25/26th spot.

Reyes will go down when Escobar is ready. Taylor will be back at some point. Good chance that Ashby goes down when Peralta is back.

I'd expect to see Gustave, Topa, and Ashb, among others potentially at times.

Pretty boring but will go with Vogelbach and Gustave for the two additions. Milner is first to go on the pitching side and Reyes on the hitting side when guys come off the IL.

neither of your suggestions are on the 40-man roster. you've implied that hoby milner would be dfa'd, but who else?

Good chance that Ashby goes down when Peralta is back.

aaron ashby is optioned before hoby milner? i'd be grooming ashby for the postseason roster, and not with class aaa nashville.

Ashby seems to be primarily a starter now. Do they need 7 starters in September?

Good chance that Ashby goes down when Peralta is back.

aaron ashby is optioned before hoby milner? i'd be grooming ashby for the postseason roster, and not with class aaa nashville.

Ashby seems to be primarily a starter now. Do they need 7 starters in September?

Absolutely. They will likely use a combination of starters for short 3-5 inning type outings in September and October similar to how they used their late season arms in 2018.

Absolutely. They will likely use a combination of starters for short 3-5 inning type outings in September and October similar to how they used their late season arms in 2018.

Agreed. I'm expecting Houser/Lauer/Ashby...maybe Anderson to be these types of weapons in October. The biggest difference of course will be Burnes/Peralta/Woodruff are better than Chacin/Miley/whatever as the actual starters from 2018/2019. We'll need this group for game 4 and then as a contingency if one of the big 3 doesn't have it on a given day.

As far as September, we'll want the 7 starters so we can give rest on a schedule that I'm sure has been mapped out by the front office for these guys. CC specifically noted there's a plan to keep these guys healthy and going into October.

I don't know the dates, but eventually I think it will be:

Escobar, Taylor, Vogelbach active. Reyes optioned. Lopes DFA. 14 position players

Peralta active. Milner, Gustave, Perdomo optioned. Yardley DFA. 14 pitchers.

Maile only sees action, if there is an injury and won't be DFAd because he is the main backup in case of injury.

The dreaded "If Everyone's Healthy"...

C: Omar, Manny

IF: Rowdy, Kolten, Willy, Eduardo, Luis, Jace

OF: Yelich, Cain, Avisail, Tyrone, JBJ

SP: Woodruff, Burnes, Peralta, Houser, Lauer, Anderson

RP: Hader, Williams, Boxberger, Suter, Cousins, Strickland, Ashby, Norris

That's 27. Imagine the 28th spot will be a rotation between Gustave, Sanchez, Topa, Vogelbach, Reyes depending on how health & team need play out.

I will be extremely disappointed if Ashby isn't on the post season roster. At least if things stay roughly the same between now and then.

His stuff is simply too good to leave home.

after his last 2 starts, I'd be shocked if he isn't on the roster for the remainder of the year and the playoffs.

Pretty boring but will go with Vogelbach and Gustave for the two additions. Milner is first to go on the pitching side and Reyes on the hitting side when guys come off the IL.

neither of your suggestions are on the 40-man roster. you've implied that hoby milner would be dfa'd, but who else?

Lopes and Yardley DFA. I really don't want Yardley pitching to a single batter in the playoffs so wouldn't mind if somebody pick him up.

adding a wrinkle to things is pending paternity leave for kolten wong, likely at the start of the homestand. one would think that if eduardo escobar is still on the injured list when it's time for wong to go on leave, that the brewers would still want tim lopes on the 40-man as a potential replacement. calling up keston hiura for three days wouldn't be horrible (and may be a better replacement than tim lopes). hiura has been seeing some action at second base with nashville.

i still think that tim lopes will be dfa'd in september to open up a spot for jandel gustave or daniel vogelbach, but i think it's risky to do while escobar is still on the injured list.

Calling up Hiura would indeed be horrible.

0-4 yesterday with 4 ks

0 for last 20 with 12 strike outs

Brewers just signed Renato Nunez to a minor league deal…..bad this season but decent the 3 before that. Provides some depth…..depending how things play out with injuries and Kolton’s leave he could be an option

Relatively even splits, but at least his isn't an embarrassment against left-handed pitching. Might be someone to keep an eye on.

Peralta and Topa. The need to limit innings for starters far exceeds the need for a 3rd catcher or PR, especially with an 8.5 game lead.

Wild card - send down Milner, DFA Lopes, add and call up Small for an additional LHRP who can go multiple innings.

Does anyone know what the rules are now for players traveling with a team? I was just wondering if the Brewers could just constantly cycle through Reyes, Ray and Maile depending on the need of the day in the last roster spot. Reyes if they need to cover the infield, Ray if they want a chance at some offense, and Maile if they want to give a catcher a close to guaranteed day off.