Brewer Fanatic

Renato Nunez as Stopgap RH 1B & 3B

I’m aware that his MLB stats in 2021 have been terrible … but he may be a good option to sign short-term until Escobar returns from his hamstring injury. He has good power & is adequate defensively.

https://www.milb.com/player/renato-nunez-600524

He’s still fairly young & would be worth a shot … especially if it keeps Huira in Nashville until Spring Training.

Reds claimed Cabrera off waivers from D-Backs. I'm guessing Brewers would have taken him but Reds had priority. Could be they grabbed him to block the Brewers? Can't see where he's going to get many AB's for Reds.

Taking PAs away from Suarez is a net win for the Reds.

Brewers Player Development

@BrewersPD

We've signed INF Renato Nunez to a minor league contract and assigned him to

@nashvillesounds

OF Sal Frelick (

@timberrattlers

) and Hedbert Perez (

@carolinamudcats

) are moving on up!

LHP Quintin Torres-Costa & OF Michael Wilson have been released.

Yea he's a guy I used here and there in fantasy in recent years. With how poor offense was this year and so many people doing poorly I couldn't figure out he was stuck in AAA all year or how someone didn't give a chance at an MLB role to start the year. Looks like he did well at AAA for Det just like you'd expect him to. I'm not saying he's a world beater or anything, but a 250/310 guy with 25 HR isn't a bad player these days, especially considering what we've gotten from 1B this year.

This guy will be batting cleanup for us in the playoffs.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Pretty sure they just have to be in the system. Don't necessarily need to be on the 40-man to qualify for postseason play. I could be wrong though.

That was for the 2020 season. For 2021 I believe it goes back to the normal rules.

Postseason Roster Rules & Eligibility

Definition

In a typical season, any player who is on the 40-man roster or 60-day injured list as of 11:59 p.m. ET on Aug. 31 is eligible for the postseason.

Those on the restricted list at that point are also eligible if they haven't been suspended for performance-enhancing drugs during that season. (All players who have served a suspension for PEDs in a given season are ineligible for postseason play that year.)

A player who doesn't meet said criteria for postseason eligibility can still be added to a team's roster in the postseason via petition to the Commissioner's Office if the player was in the organization on Aug. 31 and is replacing someone who is on the injured list and has served the minimum amount of time required for activation. (For example, a player on the 10-day injured list who has been on it for at least 10 days, or a player who has been on the 60-day injured list for at least 60 days.) Players who are acquired in September or after are ineligible.

https://www.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/postseason-roster-rules-eligibility

Either way it was a joke and a reference to Healy a year ago.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Nunez is a somewhat interesting bat to add to the system. Only 27 years old, and hit 31 bombs for the Orioles in 2019, and had an .816 OPS last season. Has played 3B, 1B and the corner OF (none of which especially well) in his career.

Yeah, the Brewers recent trend of acquiring players that have previously flashed some talent and are in the age 26-27 range is one I’m a big fan of continuing.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Pretty sure they just have to be in the system. Don't necessarily need to be on the 40-man to qualify for postseason play. I could be wrong though.

That was for the 2020 season. For 2021 I believe it goes back to the normal rules.

Postseason Roster Rules & Eligibility

Definition

In a typical season, any player who is on the 40-man roster or 60-day injured list as of 11:59 p.m. ET on Aug. 31 is eligible for the postseason.

Those on the restricted list at that point are also eligible if they haven't been suspended for performance-enhancing drugs during that season. (All players who have served a suspension for PEDs in a given season are ineligible for postseason play that year.)

A player who doesn't meet said criteria for postseason eligibility can still be added to a team's roster in the postseason via petition to the Commissioner's Office if the player was in the organization on Aug. 31 and is replacing someone who is on the injured list and has served the minimum amount of time required for activation. (For example, a player on the 10-day injured list who has been on it for at least 10 days, or a player who has been on the 60-day injured list for at least 60 days.) Players who are acquired in September or after are ineligible.

https://www.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/postseason-roster-rules-eligibility

So basically Nunez IS eligible for postseason play, as he's currently in the system. He'd just need to be replacing an injured player if added to the 40-man roster after today.

I love Vogey as a great team character … but he is a duplicate with less ability & defense than Tellez - neither can play anywhere other than 1B

I would much prefer to have Nunez as a true right-handed power option for 1B in September & for the post-season

Archived