Brewer Fanatic

Playoff pitching staff

DHonks

Some early thoughts:

Rotation (can we get by with 3 starters?)

Woodruff

Peralta

Burnes

Swingmen:

Lauer

Houser

Ashby

Short relief:

Strickland

Suter

Late innings:

Cousins

Boxberger

Williams

Hader

Missing:

Sanchez

Milner

Topa

Norris

You have to plan on four starters. The Brewers starters have been pitching on four and five days rest all season and I don’t think you want to suddenly start using them every fourth day. Maybe you consider moving someone up if you’re facing an elimination game, but the plan should be four starters with a short hook if someone struggles early.
Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

You have to plan on four starters. The Brewers starters have been pitching on four and five days rest all season and I don’t think you want to suddenly start using them every fourth day. Maybe you consider moving someone up if you’re facing an elimination game, but the plan should be four starters with a short hook if someone struggles early.

You can and they probably will maximize how much they all pitch. The good news is for this to even really be a problem they would have to start making it pretty deep into the postseason. There are also so many off days in the postseason and the big three are fairly interchangeable when a new series starts you wouldn't feel obligated for like Burnes has to suddenly be pushed to the front of the line on 4 days rest. Though maybe they will opt to maximize Burnes/Woodruff/Peralta, in that order.

The Brewers aren't going to toss Brett Anderson out there over Burnes, because Burnes needs a 5th day of rest.

Looks like you’re missing Brett Anderson from your “missing” list. I do think they’ll use at least 4 starters in the playoffs.

I'm expecting the 4th starter to be a tandem situation with 2 of Lauer/Anderson/Houser. 3-4 innings each in theory, definitely not seeing any hitters a 3rd time unless the starter is lights out.

I also think it's too early to rule out Topa/Norris. Both guys could pitch their way onto the roster, also injuries.

You can and they probably will maximize how much they all pitch. The good news is for this to even really be a problem they would have to start making it pretty deep into the postseason. There are also so many off days in the postseason and the big three are fairly interchangeable when a new series starts you wouldn't feel obligated for like Burnes has to suddenly be pushed to the front of the line on 4 days rest. Though maybe they will opt to maximize Burnes/Woodruff/Peralta, in that order.

The Brewers aren't going to toss Brett Anderson out there over Burnes, because Burnes needs a 5th day of rest.

When I say every fourth day, that’s 3 days of rest, which none of the Brewers starters has done this season. In a 5 game division series there would usually only be one off day between the second and third games and one between a fourth and fifth games. So, start the top 3 in some order in the first 3 games and go from there. If you get to a fourth game, the choices would be a fourth starter, the first game starter on 3 days rest, or a full fledged bullpen game. Depending on how much the bullpen had to be used in the first 3 games, and whether you are ahead or behind 2-1, I think a manager would at least want the option of a fourth starter. Which is why I think you have to have four starters on the roster.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

we still don't know whether the brewers will be in a one-and-done series or a best-of-five series.

and any player acquired by 31 august is eligible for postseason play.

it's too early for this thread.

Man, if we are in a 1 and done series, we had a very bad September.

NLDS

Game 1 Burnes

Game 2 Woodruff

Off day

Game 3 Peralta

Game 4 Burnes (only game a pitcher would be going 3 days rest)

Off day

Game 5 Woodruff

Off day

NLCS Game 1 and 5 (if NLDS goes 5) Peralta

NLCS Game 2 and 6 Burnes

NLCS Game 3 and 7 Woodruff

NLCS Game 4 Houser/Anderson

World Series same as NLCS

NLDS

Game 1 Burnes

Game 2 Woodruff

Off day

Game 3 Peralta

Off day

Game 5 Woodruff

Off day

NLCS Game 2 and 6 Burnes

Why did you put games 4/5 on there for nlds? Sweeeeeep baby!!!

we still don't know whether the brewers will be in a one-and-done series or a best-of-five series.

and any player acquired by 31 august is eligible for postseason play.

it's too early for this thread.

Man, if we are in a 1 and done series, we had a very bad September.

And if one of the Brewers starting pitchers in the playoffs is not currently on the 40 man then something else has gone very wrong.

The one game at a time mentality is lame outside of the locker room. It’s a fan forum and we’re in the midst of one of the best seasons in team history...it’s never too early to get excited about the teams playoff prospects.

NLDS

Game 1 Burnes

Game 2 Woodruff

Off day

Game 3 Peralta

Off day

Game 5 Woodruff

Off day

NLCS Game 2 and 6 Burnes

Agreed. Except Lauer would be the starter game 4 of NLCS. Burnes can go on 3 days rest for one start, even if that's only 4 innings.

NLDS

Game 1 Burnes

Game 2 Woodruff

Off day

Game 3 Peralta

Off day

Game 5 Woodruff

Off day

NLCS Game 2 and 6 Burnes

Agreed. Except Lauer would be the starter game 4 of NLCS. Burnes can go on 3 days rest for one start, even if that's only 4 innings.

He could go on three days, but he wouldn’t if Lauer is throwing Game 4. Off days are after Game 2 and Game 5. If Burnes went 2 and 5 on three days rest, then Peralta would be up for 1 and 6 with six days rest.

NLDS

Game 1 Burnes

Game 2 Woodruff

Off day

Game 3 Peralta

Off day

Game 5 Woodruff

Off day

NLCS Game 2 and 6 Burnes

Why did you put games 4/5 on there for nlds? Sweeeeeep baby!!!

Hope so!

Then…I throw Burnes 1,4,7 of the NLCS because of the many days of extra rest before NLCS. Houser and Ashby could piggy back him in the 5th/6th if not dominant.

Looks like you’re missing Brett Anderson from your “missing” list. I do think they’ll use at least 4 starters in the playoffs.

thanks. In my head I typed him in there. I've really liked Anderson his entire career. He's seemingly evolved with the Brewers into a sinker-changeup pitcher that pounds the strike zone. But I would pencil him into the "missing" portion of the list

They can do start right-hander, expect 4-5 innings: Woodruff, Burnes, Peralta, Houser

Follow up with a left-hander for 2 innings: Suter, Lauer, Ashby, Anderson

Relievers cover 2-3 innings: Strickland, Cousins, Boxberger, Williams, Hader

Would consider flipping Houser for Anderson or Lauer, given they are more used to starting and Houser has always been good in relief. Hopefully capping the starters at 4-5 innings also helps if they change schedules and no longer going on the extended rest.

NLDS

Game 1 Burnes

Game 2 Woodruff

Off day

Game 3 Peralta

Off day

Game 5 Woodruff

Off day

NLCS Game 2 and 6 Burnes

Fun exercise and probably fairly accurate. Though even if you assumed all these games are happening the Game 5 NLDS or Game 7 NLCS would probably throw it for a loop. Peralta would be pretty likely to find himself pitching in one of those games. Not ideal, but winner takes all games are usually a mess.

Easily winning the division will be a huge help though, if we can do it. That is certainly the series I would want to set up the rotation in the best possible way.

NLDS Game 4 may depend on whether they're up 2-1 or down 2-1. If they're up 2-1 I'd guess that they'd start one of Lauer/Anderson/Houser to keep the "Big 3" on regular rest. If they're down 2-1 and facing elimination, they may feel compelled to start the game 1 starter.

They have six solid starters, and Ashby could be a good 7th. That makes for a lot of good multi-inning guys for the playoffs. With a solid back of the bullpen, I like how the Brewers are built for the playoffs.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Who starts the Wild Card game? Suter as the opener?
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

So the discussion is whether or not you have 4 starters or 3. Um, if we put Houser and Lauer(Dodgers slayer) in the bullpen they are available to be used as a Starter. Theres gotta be at least 1 if not 2 starts by the big 3 going 7innings or more. Which you'd turn over to Williams and Hader to complete. I'd really hate for CC to pull the top 3 after 5IP just so he can pitch everybody possible every 2 games getting them an inning. Definitely could see a bullpen game featuring Houser, Lauer and Anderson before you turn to your Williams-Hader finish. I think when you reach game 4s you have an idea the importance of the game. Up 3-0 or 2-1 you dont have to lean on Burnes or Woody and trust the quality of the other guys capable to get it done.

I know many of you have mentioned someone going on short rest for the NLDS. It's certainly possible, but with how careful the Brewers have been with these arms all year I just don't see us doing that, at least in the NLDS or NLCS. I'll add a general though. If the Brewers are up 2-1 heading into game 4, do we still go with Burnes/Woodruff on short rest knowing we'd have one of the big three on an extra day of rest heading into game 5 at home if it's needed? Or would that be more realistic if we are DOWN 2-1 heading into game 4 making it a must win? Or does it not matter?

Archived