Brewer Fanatic

Upcoming Free Agents

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I totally forgot Pham was a FA, I would love to see him as our everyday RF.

I don't think Pham (.229/.340 15 HRs - 49 RBIs - 475 ABs) offers any more than Taylor (.247/.321 - 12 HRs- 43 RBIs - 243 ABs). Pham made somewhere near $9M last year and would be looking at about the same or more this year. IMO money better spent towards a real upgrade in RF.

Pham is interesting. He was a very good (and underrated) player in 2017-19. He was good for 20+ HR, .280ish BA, lots of walks, 3.5-4 WAR.

2020 was ruined after he got COVID, and then broke his hamate bone.

2021 was marred by a knife attack that left a footlong scar on his back. Really scary. They said Pham lost a speed, strength and stamina due the attack - and he never really recovered (hence the poor performance last year).

The big question - who is the real Tommy Pham? He's going to be 34 - and has he simply lost a bit of speed/power/strength/whatever? It happens to everyone. Or is he a guy who had some bad luck and health issues?

I'd definitely check out the guy. If the club thinks he can rebound - he could be a steal. He'd be highly motivated to do well in 2022 - and try and score one last big contract (and crush Cardinal pitching). Of course, you have to do your due diligence. The medical staff would have to believe he was fully healthy.

My only other question is about him playing RF. He has mostly played CF and LF. I'm guessing he could play RF - but perhaps there's a reason he's not a good fit for it (weak arm? - don't know).

No matter - give him a year - move on. It gives us time to develop Mitchell and Frelick and others. If he bombs - oh well, you tried.

He's a decent defender in LF/CF, so I have no reason to think Pham couldn't play RF, but his inability to do so would merely be an added bonus: [sarcasm]Yelich mainly played RF during his two MVP campaigns and only turned back into a mortal after they let him move back to LF. Coincidence?[/sarcasm]

Not sure but I thought Pham would be a really poor defensive RF so he was off my radar

I don't know enough about Pham's defense to comment on it. But is there a specific reason you think he'd be a poor defensive RF?

Negative Def stat the past 4 years and been playing LF almost exclusively

I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

Another guy I would target on a cheap deal, who was just non-tendered by the Braves: Johan Camargo. He looked like a future everyday starter from 2017-18 when he put up 4.3 fWAR over 216 G with sterling defense at 3B. Things have not gone well since in limited playing time, but the projection systems still like him. Steamer projects a .265/.328/.448/.776, .332 wOBA line. As mentioned, he's a plus defender at 3B and capable at 2B. Has played SS/OF a bit with worse results.

Would be a great second utility guy to complement Jace Peterson (who strongly favors RHP) and Kolten Wong (who also favors RHP). Camargo's career splits vs LHP: .282/.333/.500/.833, .349 wOBA, 115 wRC+

Another guy I would target on a cheap deal, who was just non-tendered by the Braves: Johan Camargo. He looked like a future everyday starter from 2017-18 when he put up 4.3 fWAR over 216 G with sterling defense at 3B. Things have not gone well since in limited playing time, but the projection systems still like him. Steamer projects a .265/.328/.448/.776, .332 wOBA line. As mentioned, he's a plus defender at 3B and capable at 2B. Has played SS/OF a bit with worse results.

Would be a great second utility guy to complement Jace Peterson (who strongly favors RHP) and Kolten Wong (who also favors RHP). Camargo's career splits vs LHP: .282/.333/.500/.833, .349 wOBA, 115 wRC+

This could be a good call, maybe he and Brosseau could battle it out for the right handed utility guy. Would like somebody better than Reyes that can play a decent SS though.

How many utility guys do we want/need?

At some point, we have to have starters, you know, good players who specialize at their position, who can actually hit.

I can see 1 or 2 all over the field guys, but geez...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

At some point, we have to have starters, you know, good players who specialize at their position, who can actually hit.

Exactly. Having guys like Brosseau and Jace Peterson already in the fold, not to mention Luis Urias, would make signing a guy like Camargo very redundant. They also have utility types like David Fry and Weston Wilson knocking at the door.

They desperately need a top of the order bat. Whether that comes today or when the season resumes after the lockout. I would prefer to have added a bat before the lockout but think it’s unlikely with the prices floating around. Bryant is still the dream acquisition. Covers third, and can play outfield and DH when off day needed.

Yeah I’m tired of signing utility guys to play 1B and 3B. I’ve seen enough of guys like Justin Smoak and Ryon Healey. We need an impact bat at one of those positions at the least.

I know we still kind of view Urias as a utility and he kind of doesn't fit the stereotype of a 3B due to his size. But after a brutal first month he still ended ballpark 250/350/800 with 23 HRs. I understand some skepticism since it's only been 3/4 of a season of being good. But if he generally hits like he did post April(and I thought he was good on D at 3B), he'd end up with pretty good 3B stats, especially for pre arb money. Basically, just saying with our financial limits we pretty much have to plan on him being the starting 3B

Point of reference, Arenado ended last year 255/312/807 with 34 HRs for like 35 mil.

Edited by tmwiese55

They desperately need a top of the order bat. Whether that comes today or when the season resumes after the lockout. I would prefer to have added a bat before the lockout but think it’s unlikely with the prices floating around. Bryant is still the dream acquisition. Covers third, and can play outfield and DH when off day needed.

Yea, keep dreaming... That isnt happening.

I wouldn’t hate taking a chance on Camargo.

Another potentially cheap FA that the projection systems somewhat surprisingly like is outfielder Odubel Herrera. Steamer has him at .270/.326 /.437 (.763 OPS) and Davenport has him at .280/.338/.423 (.761 OPS).

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I would certainly prefer the Brewers get an upgrade at 3B and use Urias at 2B, SS and 3B as he would still get plenty of at bats, however I doubt that happens. Would be excited to see the Brewers sign Kris Bryant and DFA Mike Brosseau in February to make room on the 40 man but more likely they upgrade at the fringes.

Its still extremly early in the offseason but if the plan is to sign or trade for more below average offensive players we may as well trade Woodruff and Burnes now and start the rebuild. As we saw last season this lineup is not nearly good enough to win a title.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I'm going to guess we won't be signing Kris Bryant or any big name FA. So here are my options to fill our RF spot if we want to do it via FA. I don't doubt the club will just give the job to Taylor - but here are some guys who we could consider if the club wants something different from the FA market that could fit in our budget.

Big Risk/Big Reward Signings

OF Seiya Suzuki - Japanese slugger would play RF and provide right handed, middle of the order power. At least - that's what you hope he provides. Coming from the Japanese league is never simple. Guy has shown power, average and plate discipline. He's walked more than he has struck out. Suzuki would still cost a lot. MLB Trade Rumors estimates 5 years/$55M + another $10M posting fee. That's a big risk for us - but the payoff is really big as well. You get a potential middle of the order bat who is only 27 years old.

OF Jorge Solar - MLB Trade Rumors have him at 3 years/$36M. Wildly inconsistent player, but when good, he's got seriously huge power (48 HR in 2019). He would provide some right handed power and slot into RF. Mediocre defense, spotty track record, coupled with a low batting average (.250 would be solid) and a lot of strikeouts make him not my favorite signing. But with his power, I would understand it.

Low Risk Signings

Tommy Pham - Injuries (broken hamate, stabbed in the back) and COVID have tanked Pham the last two years. At 34, he is a risk of going off the age cliff - always an issue. However, from 2017-19 he was a really good player, hitting .275ish, 20+ HR and a lot of walks. He is also a plus baserunner. Pham bats right-handed, but he has never played RF on a regular basis (he's either played CF or LF). So he may not have the tools to play RF. The team would have to make sure he's 100% healthy. Pham probably could be had pretty cheap. Maybe $5M or so with incentives. While he isn't going to hit 40 HR, he could be a really solid player if he gets back to his earlier form. He should be motivated to do well in hopes of getting one last decent contract.