Upcoming Free Agents

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Go all in on Freeman or Bryant...

I can dream can't I?

Yeah, either of those guys would be sweet.

I don't think Freeman leaves - too much history there. Both sides will give a bit.

Bryant is more likely - and his positional flexibility would be great. And no qualifying offer allowed on him. I think SF steps up and re-signs him - no matter what happens to them in the playoffs. They've got money and the need - and from what I've ready, he's enjoyed his time there. Now, someone could come in and offers an insane contract - but I don't see that as the Brewers.

But it's fun to dream.

They need to get middle of the order bats this off-season. Having the DH plus controllable pitching makes it possible if they’re able to spend a bit. That way they could keep their pitching work bract and just add without subtracting. I hope they get one righty and one lefty bat. Rowdy has shown enough to be 1B/DH and likewise for Tyrone Taylor in RF at least part time. Neither are sure things so they should get 2 hitters that can help at DH/1B/OF between them.

Get one from each list (some pair up better than others):

RHB: mark canha, jd Martinez, Castellanos, soler, Avi, mccutchen, Nelson Cruz

LHB:Schwarber, belt, Rizzo,

Eduardo Escobar (switch)

The Brewers highest opening day payroll was 122 million in 2019. Last year it was just under 100 million. They drew 1.8 million in 2021, down from numbers that generally run in the 2.7-2.9 million range. It's a complete uncertainty if attendance will be any better in 2022.

I'd be very surprised if the Brewer's opening day payroll in 2022 would be above 120 million.

Right now I'd project the 2022 roster to have an opening day payroll of 105.5 million, and that is if Garcia's option has converted to a mutual option and he opts out. If Garcia is on the roster, it would put the payroll at an estimated 116 million.

I'd say the most likely outlook is that the Brewers have a top limit of 15 million to spend this off-season. But it's might be just at likely that they only have a few million to play with and, if Garcia is back, they may already be at the limit.

Best guess at payroll is here, post #14-

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=41150

They need to get middle of the order bats this off-season. Having the DH plus controllable pitching makes it possible if they’re able to spend a bit. That way they could keep their pitching work bract and just add without subtracting. I hope they get one righty and one lefty bat. Rowdy has shown enough to be 1B/DH and likewise for Tyrone Taylor in RF at least part time. Neither are sure things so they should get 2 hitters that can help at DH/1B/OF between them.

Eduardo Escobar (switch)

Good summation of needs & possible options that might be in the Brewers price range.

I think they'll end up filling one spot via FA and the other via trading some minor league guys.

Don't really see them dealing from the MLB pitching depth at all. Hader is only of interest to a contender & legit MLB bats are more valuable than closers, so I don't see much overlap there.

Also don't see them moving an OF. Yelich has a full NTC, Cain still put up around 2 WAR despite the missed time which is perfectly reasonable for his salary & Bradley only gets paid a lil over 3 million next year with the deferrals so he's not killing the books & who is dealing for him in the first place after last year anyway?

But before any of that we need a new CBA. Gonna be a long, boring offseason that probably won't even get started until sometime next year.

Eduardo Escobar (switch)

I think the playoffs showed they will not try and re-sign Escobar. Castellanos, Martinez, and McCutchen will be out of their price range by a lot. Cruz would only be a possibility if there is a DH. Same with Schwarber who is a butcher in LF and he too will probably be out of their price range. I don't think Canha offers anything more than Taylor and Canha was already making $7M. With arby guys going to cost $18-23M, plus the monstrous increase for Yelich, the payroll is already increasing $30-35M. Signing any of these FAs will take more than a bit of increased spending. IMO a trade may be the only way to help the anemic offense.

I think the playoffs showed they will not try and re-sign Escobar. Castellanos, Martinez, and McCutchen will be out of their price range by a lot. Cruz would only be a possibility if there is a DH. Same with Schwarber who is a butcher in LF and he too will probably be out of their price range. I don't think Canha offers anything more than Taylor and Canha was already making $7M. With arby guys going to cost $18-23M, plus the monstrous increase for Yelich, the payroll is already increasing $30-35M. Signing any of these FAs will take more than a bit of increased spending. IMO a trade may be the only way to help the anemic offense.

Castellanos and Martinez sure they could be out of the Brewers price range but McCutchen won't be.

This was McCutchen's slash line: .222/.334/.444. I just don't see many teams lining up to give McCutchen anything more than a 1-year prove it veteran deal. So something under $10m a season. McCutchen's defense has also taken a nose dive so not much there in terms of value.

Go all in on Freeman or Bryant...

I can dream can't I?

I don't see the Braves letting Freeman go and will make him an offer where he will retire in Atlanta.

I don't see Freeman seriously entertaining the offer to even leave Atlanta. That relationship is about the equivalent of Yadi/Cardinals.

And McCutchen? How many terrible and old CFers do we need?

Castellanos and Martinez sure they could be out of the Brewers price range but McCutchen won't be.

This was McCutchen's slash line: .222/.334/.444. I just don't see many teams lining up to give McCutchen anything more than a 1-year prove it veteran deal. So something under $10m a season. McCutchen's defense has also taken a nose dive so not much there in terms of value.

What does McCutchen have to offer that Tyrone Taylor doesn't?

No way I sign old man McCutchen.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

McCutchen is washed up and doesn't provide much if any value. He really shouldn't be an option for the Brewers but if the well dries up and he is still left in free agency he would be someone that the Brewers could afford on a 1-year deal. McCutchen shouldn't cost all that much.

Bryant is the player that fits the best for the Brewers but will the Brewers be able to outbid the Giants for him?

The next best option for the Brewers are Rizzo and Belt. I don't think Castellanos fits for the Brewers as I see him more as a LF than a RF and I don't want to see Yelich playing in RF again. Maybe you could get Castellanos to play 1B but that is really his only position that I would feel comfortable having him play defensively unless there is the DH in the NL next year.

I could see the Brewers going very expensive with Bryant but I think realistically the Brewers go with one or two year options. So I think that eliminates Castellanos, Bryant and others. I think Rizzo and Belt are possibilities on one or two year deals. I think the Brewers if they do add someone it will be by a trade and not through free agency at least I am not expecting any major signings this off season.

As of today, I'd assume our 1B / DH combo will be Vogelbomb and Rowdy.

Is Taylor our starting RF, with JBJ on the bench. (every time I think of the wasted 12 million we will be throwing down the drain for JBJ, it makes me sick)

C Narvaez

1B / DH Vogelbach / Rowdy

2B Wong

SS Adames

3B Urias

LF Yelich

CF Cain

RF Taylor

That looks like our starting line up on this day.

That OF is pretty sad if Yelich doesn't get back on the stick. Cain will play what, maybe 80 games? Taylor, though I love him, can be upgraded. 1B can always use an upgrade, and if we do, one of Rowdy and Vogelbach just has to go. (Keep Rowdy imo) I do think Urias has the 3B job unless we get a really BIG bat at the position somehow.

I just don't see that offense being any better than this year, so some changes have to be made, and our overpriced OF makes it pretty difficult.

*sigh*

Sure would like to get Yelich and his noodle arm out of the outfield at some point...

What does McCutchen have to offer that Tyrone Taylor doesn't?

No way I sign old man McCutchen.

Unless you think there will not be a DH, why does there have to be a choice between Taylor and McCutchen (or another FA)? I’d hand RF to Taylor, but that doesn’t address DH

Mccutchen has been an above average hitter every year including a 109 OPS+ last year including an OPS over 1000 vs lefties. That would be much better than Big Dan (who is just fat without the power) at DH. What does it matter that he would be a terrible CF considering he wouldn’t play a single inning there?

Unless you think there will not be a DH, why does there have to be a choice between Taylor and McCutchen (or another FA)? I’d hand RF to Taylor, but that doesn’t address DH

So you would sign McCutchen as a DH?

I would not be on board with this in any way.

So you would sign McCutchen as a DH?

I would not be on board with this in any way.

For the right price and if the Brewers aren’t willing to spend to get better hitters, or (hopefully) have already acquired 1 other big time hitter to play 1B/OF, why not? Why would a consistently above average hitter who mashes lefties be a bad option for DH?

Eduardo Escobar (switch)

Good summation of needs & possible options that might be in the Brewers price range.

I think they'll end up filling one spot via FA and the other via trading some minor league guys.

Don't really see them dealing from the MLB pitching depth at all. Hader is only of interest to a contender & legit MLB bats are more valuable than closers, so I don't see much overlap there.

Also don't see them moving an OF. Yelich has a full NTC, Cain still put up around 2 WAR despite the missed time which is perfectly reasonable for his salary & Bradley only gets paid a lil over 3 million next year with the deferrals so he's not killing the books & who is dealing for him in the first place after last year anyway?

But before any of that we need a new CBA. Gonna be a long, boring offseason that probably won't even get started until sometime next year.

I tend to agree that double dipping for FA hitters isn’t that likely. As far as minor league trade pieces, Tauring could be movable with 2B/3B/SS all set at the mlb level

To stay in budget, they could make one signing and make one trade for an affordable hitter, one lefty and one righty. Belt would be a great signing (or Schwarber). Maybe they would go cheaper with Rizzo. For a righty power bat who could play DH/OF/1B Garrett Cooper would be an affordable option

To stay in budget, they could make one signing and make one trade for an affordable hitter, one lefty and one righty. Belt would be a great signing (or Schwarber). Maybe they would go cheaper with Rizzo. For a righty power bat who could play DH/OF/1B Garrett Cooper would be an affordable option

Cooper and Schwarber for sure, but I don't think either Belt or Rizzo would be affordable options or even on the Brewers' radar. Belt will be 34, coming off surgery, and already making $17M. I doubt the Crew would want to spend that kind of money on him. Tellez gives the Brewers as much if not more than Rizzo and would be $15-17M cheaper, so I don't think there would be any interest in Rizzo. I believe Schwarber has a mutual option and the Red Sox have already said they want him back. I don't think the Brewers can outbid the Sox even if he declines the option. Cooper would be a major help at a couple of positions if available. Is he a FA or would it take a trade to get him?

Since we're still in that time of year that we can dream, Bryant would be an ideal fit. He's got MVP potential at the plate, plays all over the field, and the Cub fans would hate seeing him in a Brewer uniform... but I don't really think he's an option.

I think the Brewers will be in a bit of a cash crunch and won't be able to add too much salary, but I'd really like to see them pick up someone who can mash against LHP as the Brewers really seem to struggle against lefties.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I suppose we could hope Huira is back up to help with this issue but ideally Tellez/Vog aren't the ideal platoon. Though I think Rowdy doesn't have bad splits. So a guy like Cooper makes sense. But, so could another old friend in Jesus Aguilar. Spotrac gives an 8 mil arb estimate which I'd guess MIA declines so he'd be a free agent and I really wouldn't expect him to get much (I'd think one year deal for less) in spite of the good year, who knows maybe I'm way off there though.

After reading through someone's estimate on our current players arb raises it led me to think it's kind of the worst year to add the DH for us since our O is already so bad and are unlikely to have any money to spend due to increasing so much salary already in arbitration. A guy like Escobar could be good if we know DH is real, but I doubt they can pay him.

Another thing I've thought of with Yelich's injuries (and that he's become not good at OF) is they might plan on him being a lot of DH next year to try and get him right. So in such a scenario getting another OF or resigning Avi could make more sense.

Another thing I've thought of with Yelich's injuries (and that he's become not good at OF) is they might plan on him being a lot of DH next year to try and get him right. So in such a scenario getting another OF or resigning Avi could make more sense.

Or we have an in house option with Taylor to play LF/RF.

As long as that doesn't mean JBJ gets more playing time...

Well, yea I suppose. I was going into that thinking we can't bank on JBJ other than as backup/depth. So Cain/Taylor/Avi as you 'starters' but Yeli and JBJ to fill in for off days and injuries. Due to budget, I suppose they might just have to hope he rebounds though they go with those 4 guys. But I was just saying if they plan a lot of Yeli at DH it might lead to a FA OF (or Avi) being a need as opposed to our focus being on 1B/3B in most discussions here.

After reading through someone's estimate on our current players arb raises it led me to think it's kind of the worst year to add the DH for us since our O is already so bad and are unlikely to have any money to spend due to increasing so much salary already in arbitration. A guy like Escobar could be good if we know DH is real, but I doubt they can pay him.

It also means that fifteen new "lineup spots" open up, so demand for position players / hitters goes up, and therefore the price goes up. Not to mention that some of these teams are bigger spenders who may not have been in on a player, but now will be.

Since you mentioned Aguilar, he could be a prime example. Maybe the demand for first basemen is low, but now he may be in high demand with the extra DH roles which he could fit perfectly.

I agree with your thought that as far as the Brewers are concerned, this could be a bad year to add the DH. If the competition's offense gets better, and ours stays the same, in relative terms we've gotten worse.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

This team needs a hitter or two that is better than anyone in this current lineup. Guys like Rizzo and Garrett Cooper are not nearly the impact bats that we need. Bryant fills the bill perfectly but he is way out of our price range.

Stearns is going to have to get creative to improve a lineup that is not nearly good enough against solid pitching. It would also be wise to acquire right handed hitters as we were pitiful against lefties.

This team needs a hitter or two that is better than anyone in this current lineup. Guys like Rizzo and Garrett Cooper are not nearly the impact bats that we need. Bryant fills the bill perfectly but he is way out of our price range.

Stearns is going to have to get creative to improve a lineup that is not nearly good enough against solid pitching. It would also be wise to acquire right handed hitters as we were pitiful against lefties.

I don't think our salary constraints are as bad as people think. Cain and JBJ are only under contract one more year and that will clear $30m from the payroll in 2023. There will be arbitration raises between now and then but they could backload a deal.