Brewer Fanatic

Upcoming Free Agents

Garcia’s going to probably decline his option and when he does, it will create a third questionable position going into 2022-RF,1B, 3B. Interestingly, the Brewers have SOMETHING in each spot but no sure things. Kris Bryant would be an ideal fit since he can play at any of those spots when needed, but he will be too expensive. I think the best bet would be Eduardo Escobar since he can play 1B and 3B.

Otherwise, Mark Canha would be a good option. He can play 1B or RF depending on who else is playing well enough and would replace Avi as a solid RHB. Maybe they believe enough in Urias/Jace to cover 3B.

Between Taylor, Jace, hopefully a less sucky JBJ, and maybe Mitchell later on, there are plenty of RF options. But Canha would be a good way to hedge betting on Rowdy and those RF options

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Canha is an interesting and very realistic option. He'll be 33 in February and won't be expensive, but for that reason Oakland may be able to hold on to him. Between him and Taylor assuming some improvement from Taylor, they might be able to match Garcia/Taylor combo with the added benefit he can spell Tellez vs. LHP.

Jorge Soler is another guy who might be a good fit, especially if the NL adopts the DH.

Was looking at him for RF but wow are his defensive numbers bad there

I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

• 2 weeks later...
Have this SF and Cubs game on in background. Bryant's return to Chi so lots of talk on him. I looked at their finances a bit and I'd definitely have my money on him sticking with SF. Big market team that's spent freely in the past that clears several big contracts in the next two years, two of them in Belt/Longoria at common positions for him. He's originally from LV area so it's close to home. I think SF has new management in recent years so maybe they'll try to manage a bit smarter than past of handing out big contracts, in order to avoid sitting on bad contracts like they have been lately. But I don't know their philosophy and I think KB is only 29, not 32ish.

Kris Bryant would be the ideal FA signing for the Brewers I feel; RHH power with a ton of positional flexibility. But I also fully expect him to stay in SF, they have almost no money on the books going foward and have spent a lot in the past. Too rich of a contract for the Brewers to match.

But someone else who seems like a very Stearnsian type of player who might be a bit more affordable is Chris Taylor. Hard to really predict what kind of market he'll have.

That being said, I don't think there will be much money spent in FA by the Brewers unless some money can be offloaded. Yelich's contract kicks in, and the likes of Burnes/Woody/Hader/Adames will all get big arbitration raises. After 2022 I'd expect more money being spent.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I don't think Milwaukee will be playing much in free agency in the offseason due to rising player costs. A quick look at the team salaries shows upwards of $35M+ in raises due.

Yelich's contract goes up from $14M to $26M. Hader, Woodruff, Narvaez, Suter, Peterson and Vogelbach are all due arbitration raises. Urias, Burnes, Lauer, Tellez and Adamas are hitting arby for the first time.

Some of the arby guys won't see much of a raise - but a lot of them will. Hader, Woodruff, Urias, Burnes, Lauer, Narvaez and Adames all should see raises of $2-4M (or more). That's going to add up quick.

None of this takes into account the free agents - Garcia, Pina, Strickland, Boxberger and Escobar.

Perhaps we bump up salaries a lot. Or we trade someone (such as Hader). Or maybe the new CBA improves our buying power. We shall see.

I wouldn't be surprised that any money we do spend is to resign Escobar or Garcia.

• 5 weeks later...

I think they have do something semi-significant in free agency, even if it isn’t swimming in the deepest parts of pool.

Free agency is going to be strange this year. The Brewers have shown a willingness to wait out the market. Last year that resulted in Kolten Wong and JBJ, but they were also reportedly very much in on players such as Justin Turner, Marcus Semien, and Eddie Rosario. This year with the new CBA likely pushing back free agency even further, I think there is a good chance it’s more of a mad scramble to sign players than being able to slow play the market over 90-to-120 days.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I would love to see a Kris Bryant or Kyle Schwarber with a backloaded deal after Cain and JBJ are off the books in 2023. They are both versatile and can move around the field which is what Stearns loves in his players. The possible addition of the DH in the NL would open up more opportunities as well.

I would love to see a Kris Bryant or Kyle Schwarber with a backloaded deal after Cain and JBJ are off the books in 2023. They are both versatile and can move around the field which is what Stearns loves in his players. The possible addition of the DH in the NL would open up more opportunities as well.

Bryant I would understand, and get on board with. But Schwarber to me is the exact type of steaky, slump-finding bat that we should be trying to get away from.

Bryant is going to be expensive but I don't think he is out of the Brewers price range especially if they were willing to try and get Turner last offseason. I don't think Bryant gets more than $22m a year especially in the upcoming free agent market where the Yankees are more than likely out and the Dodgers are already set at the positions Bryant plays. That leaves the Giants, Brewers, Mariners and a mystery team competing for Bryant. All it will take is for the Giants to do something crazy and offer Bryant a 7-year $200m contract though I think that is probably out of the question. If the Brewers went out and did a 5-year $110m contract with two option years that would be all of the Brewers offseason budget but possible with the Cain and JBJ coming off the books in 2023. But in 2023 you would have Yelich and Bryant taking up $48m of the Brewers payroll which would be about half of the teams payroll. You would be basically banking on Mitchell, Turang, Urias and others to fill in the rest of the roster in 2023. This is also assuming the Brewers don't extend Woodruff, Burnes or Hader.

Do able but you are putting all of your assets into two players and betting that Mitchell and Turang turn into All Star caliber players.

Bryant I would understand, and get on board with. But Schwarber to me is the exact type of steaky, slump-finding bat that we should be trying to get away from.

I don't agree with that. Since 2018 he has a .243/.349/.502 line and that is with a terrible 2020.

He really took it to another level this year .266/.374/.554

Not to mention he is a postseason stud. Over 100 PAs he is currently .294/.406/.588

Not sure how he could pull it off due to finances, but would love to see Stearns go out and sign a big bat (Bryant) and trade for another to play 1B and 3B. That would be my ideal offseason. Or maybe Stearns can revisit the Reynolds trade with Pittsburgh and bring back Tellez to play 1B and sign a big bat to play 3B. Just something to shake up the offense a bit.

An interesting name to watch for a 1-year deal maybe Michael Conforto who didn't have a really good offensive year and he could possibly replace Garcia in RF for about the same price.

The only other option would be Rizzo at 1B but I think there will be more competition for him but I think teams will be looking at 1 or 2-year deals and nothing more than that for him.

I do see the appeal for being deep enough that Urias becomes super utility that still gets starter ABs. But with how well he played this year and on D (at 3b) it wouldn't surprise me if they view him as locked in at 3B.

If DH were added though obviously they have to find someone legit. Not another soso mediocre Tellez type. Just hope they're willing to dig deep this year on money if a short term (I agree on Rizzo like nate just said) contract for proven guy is there since they know a ton of money drops off the following offseason. Kind of view it as a one year blip similar to the Grandal/Moose year, the key is the right situation has to come up like it did with those guys. I think Rizzo would make a lot of sense, but I also think Boston/NYY are gonna be in on him.

An interesting name to watch for a 1-year deal maybe Michael Conforto who didn't have a really good offensive year and he could possibly replace Garcia in RF for about the same price.

The only other option would be Rizzo at 1B but I think there will be more competition for him but I think teams will be looking at 1 or 2-year deals and nothing more than that for him.

I would love to add Conforto, nice big bat to go along with Yelich, Adames, Urias, Wong.

I would love to add Conforto, nice big bat to go along with Yelich, Adames, Urias, Wong.

Christian Yelich was better at the plate than Conforto in 2021. Just let that sink in for a moment. With Cain, JBJ and Yelich on guaranteed contracts for 2022, and Taylor out of options the Brewers are not likely going to be spending big dollars on another outfielder, and especially one coming of a season of poor play and injury.

I had Conforto in fantasy and yes he was awful. He was also hurt for a good long stretch early on and never got going. He's probably a good bounce back candidate if he wants a 1-2 yr prove it deal, not unlike what we gave Avi. Feel like we need something a bit more 'for sure' though. He's also a lefty with bad splits vs lefties.

With how much we have invested in OF already and Taylor looking at least solid I'm not sure I see it. I suppose if he's cheaper than bring back Avi and DH happens and you start planning on a bunch of Yeli DH(or some transitioning to 1B) days I could seen a path.

One free agent I don’t have a good gauge on the likely cost for is Starling Marte. He reportedly turned down an extension offer from the Marlins of 3 years and $30 million before being traded to the Athletics midseason. He would look very good in the top half of the Brewers lineup.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

One free agent I don’t have a good gauge on the likely cost for is Starling Marte. He reportedly turned down an extension offer from the Marlins of 3 years and $30 million before being traded to the Athletics midseason. He would look very good in the top half of the Brewers lineup.

Marte is the only everyday CF free agent this offseason. After his strong season, I think he will get a big contract from the Mets or Phillies or another team needing a CF.

Marte is the only everyday CF free agent this offseason. After his strong season, I think he will get a big contract from the Mets or Phillies or another team needing a CF.

I’m hoping there will be a team in need of a starting CF who is willing to trade for Cain this offseason. The Brewers might have to pay a portion of his remaining salary to make him more appealing but it would be worth it if we can use the additional savings to sign a middle of the order bat like Kris Bryant or Nick Castellanos, I would then be comfortable starting Taylor in CF with JBJ being his primary back up.

I’m hoping there will be a team in need of a starting CF who is willing to trade for Cain this offseason. The Brewers might have to pay a portion of his remaining salary to make him more appealing but it would be worth it if we can use the additional savings to sign a middle of the order bat like Kris Bryant or Nick Castellanos, I would then be comfortable starting Taylor in CF with JBJ being his primary back up.

Cain spent a lot of time on the Injured List in 2021, but when he played he was fine. The Brewers don’t really have a history of paying players to compete against them, and Cain isn’t a total black hole of a player where they should seriously consider it. Rather, like they did with Braun, they should work even harder at keeping Cain healthy in 2022.

Cain spent a lot of time on the Injured List in 2021, but when he played he was fine. The Brewers don’t really have a history of paying players to compete against them, and Cain isn’t a total black hole of a player where they should seriously consider it. Rather, like they did with Braun, they should work even harder at keeping Cain healthy in 2022.

Definitely. He had a rough first half but a lot of that was due to injury. His second half numbers, especially September, were very good. With his defense and leadership he is an asset. DH should help keep guys a bit more fresh too.