Brewer Fanatic

Upcoming Free Agents

The upcoming free agent class looks pretty solid. Below are some of the players available.

Corner Infielders

Freddie Freeman, 1B, Age: 31

Kris Bryant, 3B/OF, Age: 29

Anthony Rizzo, 1B, Age: 32

Eduardo Escobar, 3B, Age: 32

Brandon Belt, 1B, Age: 33

C.J. Cron, 1B, Age: 32

Middle Infielders

Corey Seager, SS, Age: 27

Carlos Correa, SS, Age: 26

Trevor Story, SS, Age: 28

Marcus Semien, 2B, Age: 30

Javier Báez, INF, Age: 28

Outfielders

Starling Marte, CF, Age: 32

Nick Castellanos (opt out), RF, Age: 29

Michael Conforto, RF, Age: 28

Chris Taylor, OF, Age: 30

Mark Canha, OF/1B, Age: 33

Tommy Pham, LF, Age: 33

Avisail Garcia (mutual option), RF, Age: 31

Designated Hitters

Nelson Cruz, DH, Age: 41

Jorge Soler, DH/RF, Age: 29

Kyle Schwarber, DH/LF (mutual option), Age: 28

C.J. Cron, 1B/DH, Age: 31

Catchers

Yan Gomes, C, Age: 34

Manny Piña, C, Age: 35

Starting Pitchers

Max Scherzer, RHP, Age: 37

Clayton Kershaw, LHP, Age: 33

Kevin Gausman, RHP, Age: 30

Carlos Rodón, LHP, Age: 28

Zack Greinke, RHP, Age: 37

Marcus Stroman, RHP, Age: 30

Justin Verlander, RHP, Age: 38

Charlie Morton, RHP, Age: 37

Adam Wainwright, RHP, Age: 39

Robbie Ray, LHP, Age: 29

Noah Syndergaard, RHP, Age: 28

Anthony DeSclafani, RHP, Age: 31

Eduardo Rodriguez, LHP, Age: 28

Michael Pineda, RHP, Age: 32

Zach Davies, RHP, Age: 28

Jon Gray, RHP, Age: 30

Relief Pitchers

Raisel Iglesias, RHP, Age: 31

Kenley Jansen, RHP, Age: 33

Kendall Graveman, RHP, Age: 30

Ian Kennedy, RHP, Age: 36

Brad Hand, LHP, Age: 31

Not just “at Night” anymore.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just an absolutely stacked FA class. The CBA expiring adds a not insignificant wrinkle too.

Really curious to see what happens with Verlander. 2022 will be his age 39 season but with a brand new UCL who knows how long he might be able to go.

Greinke too. Guessing at his age, with diminishing stuff & results his best offer might be something like 2/25, at which point he could decide its just not worth it anymore.

Even though the Brewers are seemingly set at 2B/SS/3B for 2022 & beyond, I could see them maybe getting in on Semien if the glut of SS & him being a lil older pushes the price down. His 5.0 WAR is currently second this year, and he has thee most WAR in MLB since 2019 on account of a the 2nd most PAs, a 129 wRC+, +7.1 on the bases, +26.0 on defense and Mike Trout only playing 223 games.

First, look at what Milwaukee has coming back:

C- Narvaez, Pina

1B- Tellez

2B- Wong

3B- Urias

SS- Adames

OF- Yelich, Cain, Taylor, Bradley

SP- Woodruff, Peralta, Burnes, Ashby, Houser, Lauer, Bettinger

RP- Williams, Sanchez, Hader, Boxberger with left over SP's, Gustave, File, Strickland, Suter and Topa as possibilities.

The Brewer's could actually trade SP depth.

It would be nice to dump Cain or Bradley's salary but that will be tough.

I don't see Garcia coming back.

Dump a catcher and add Feliciano?

Hopefully Escobar continues to preform well and loves Milwaukee.

[sarcasm]Don't expect anyone good. We either can't afford them or they don't want to come here. Anyone we show interest in and don't get was just using us to drive up the price for the big market. Attanasio is a big cheapskate and sits on a pile of cash.[/sarcasm]

Pina is a free agent and with the miles on him, I don't think he'll be back.

Boxberger and Stickland are also free agents and will likely find bigger bucks elsewhere.

Vogelbach, Hiura, Cousins, and Lindblom are back next year.

I don't see any big free agents unless they can dump some salary elsewhere.

I would bet on Pina returning for a similar $1.5-2M contract. He is a great complement to Narvaez, and he has years of experience with the pitching staff. He had a late start to his career and has less wear especially now as the backup, so his age isn't a huge concern to me. I think he should have 2 or 3 good seasons as the backup yet in him.

I would bet on Pina returning for a similar $1.5-2M contract. He is a great complement to Narvaez, and he has years of experience with the pitching staff. He had a late start to his career and has less wear especially now as the backup, so his age isn't a huge concern to me. I think he should have 2 or 3 good seasons as the backup yet in him.

If Feliciano wouldn't have been hurt this year I would say no chance of Pina coming back. Since Feliciano has been hurt this year I think it takes him another year and the Brewers bring Pina back. Though I think Pina could get a multi-year offer from someone to be a backup that would be about the same amount or more.

Pina is a free agent and with the miles on him, I don't think he'll be back.

Boxberger and Stickland are also free agents and will likely find bigger bucks elsewhere.

Vogelbach, Hiura, Cousins, and Lindblom are back next year.

I don't see any big free agents unless they can dump some salary elsewhere.

Where’s Hiura going to play? I think it’s quite presumptuous to assume the worst hitter in the NL this year is back on the big league roster. He will have to earn his way back to the majors.

Where’s Hiura going to play? I think it’s quite presumptuous to assume the worst hitter in the NL this year is back on the big league roster. He will have to earn his way back to the majors.

Hiura will have to earn his way back for sure, but for whatever it is or isn't worth he's only been among the worst hitters in the NL this year (minimum 150 PAs) & not even the worst hitter on his own team...

Sandy Leon 42 wRC+ | JBJ 47 wRC+ | Josh Fuentes 50 wRC+ | Erik Gonzalez 51 wRC+ | Kevin Newman 52 wRC+ | Shogo Akiyama 53 wRC+ | Mangueris Sierra 54 wRC+ | Michael Perez 54 wRC+ | Keston Hiura 54 wRC+

If we expand it out to include the AL there are another nine players with a wRC+ of 54 of below, one of whom is Jarred Kelenic with a 147/244/272 (50 wRC+) line.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

We may have an option on Garcia for 2022.

We have a 2022 Club Option with a $2M buyout. However, that becomes a mutual option with 1,050 plate appearances across 2020-2021, or 550 plate appearances in 2021.

Avi has averaged 3.4 PA this year - which will put him right around 550 PA for the year.

However, last season he had 207 PAs - which translates to 3.45 PA per game (over 60 games). That translates into 560 or so PAs for 2020. I'm assuming that's how they'll figure out things for 2020. And if correct, his option becomes a mutual one.

Questions become 1) do the Brewers take on Avi's $12M option? I'd say that's pretty easy - yes - they do. And if they do, does Avi opt in and take the year - or opt out and become a FA? I'd say he opts out as he could get a 2-3 year deal at a similar price ($10-12M). But that's just a guess. I'd love to hear other opinions.

The final question is if Avi comes to the Brewers and says he wants a longer extension - what do we offer (if anything) for years and price. Just wondering what people thought.

Personally, I think it makes way too much sense not to bring Escobar back - assuming that you could get him on a 2-3 year deal. Love the fact that he's a switch-hitter, and even more that he provides positional flexibility. We could play him some at 3B, some at 1B (especially since the Hiura/Tellez situation is still a bit unknown), and even some in the OF as needed. I would try to lock EE up on a deal and let Avi walk. As good as Avi has been this year, I would think that a full year out of EE would help make up for some of what we'd be losing there - and we have OF pretty much covered with Yeli, Cain, JBJ and TT all coming back.

I would be shocked if Avi is back next year unless they do an extension which I doubt they do.

What do you think he gets in free agency (assuming he can keep up his production)?

I think Avi can get something in the 3-4 year range and a total of about $50-60m.

AAV should be something around $15-17m.

I would be shocked if Avi is back next year unless they do an extension which I doubt they do.

What do you think he gets in free agency (assuming he can keep up his production)?

I think Avi can get something in the 3-4 year range and a total of about $50-60m.

AAV should be something around $15-17m.

Are we thinking that Escobar will demand a similar type of deal this winter? They're having similar seasons this year, but Avi is also a couple of years younger. Would it be possible to get EE on a 2-year deal? Maybe 2 years, 30M?

It seems like we might not have a lot of payroll space given a number of impending arbitration raises. But if payroll were bumped (post World Series win? ;) ) it seems like we could devote almost all of it to making a competitive offer for Kris Bryant to play 3B.

I am assuming he will get something like 4 years and 56 million. Avi has been great this year but I would pass on paying him that. I would prefer to put in a big offer for K. Bryant instead with the idea of him being a Zobrist like defender.

I would package the three arby years of Lauer with Cain and his $18M for 2022 to clear his contract. Figure Cain could get a one year $8M contract on the free market. So are three arby years of Lauer worth more or less than $10M?

I figure Ashby will get the fifth spot. With Small being the guy to be getting ready in AAA. Lindblom as longman.

That gives me money to roll the dice on giving Garcia a QO. If he takes it, we can afford it. If he doesn't, we get the pick. If Garcia goes somewhere else, we actually need to find an OF.

Depending on how Garcia situation plays out, will kind of dictate if we try to retain Escobar. I would prefer to slightly overpay one year, versus doing a two year contract.

If the scenario is all the OF come back, I would try to move Yelich to 1B (to at least be ready even if Tellez is doing okay) and we wouldn't have the money to retain Escobar, so Urias gets 3B.

Back in 2015 the DBacks traded their 1st round pick Toussant to get rid of the $9.5M Arroyo contract. That is the last time I have heard of a trade to dump a contract like I'm proposing. So probably isn't the way to go if I am replicating strategy from Dave Stewart. :laughing

I would package the three arby years of Lauer with Cain and his $18M for 2022 to clear his contract. Figure Cain could get a one year $8M contract on the free market. So are three arby years of Lauer worth more or less than $10M?

I figure Ashby will get the fifth spot. With Small being the guy to be getting ready in AAA. Lindblom as longman.

That gives me money to roll the dice on giving Garcia a QO. If he takes it, we can afford it. If he doesn't, we get the pick. If Garcia goes somewhere else, we actually need to find an OF.

Depending on how Garcia situation plays out, will kind of dictate if we try to retain Escobar. I would prefer to slightly overpay one year, versus doing a two year contract.

If the scenario is all the OF come back, I would try to move Yelich to 1B (to at least be ready even if Tellez is doing okay) and we wouldn't have the money to retain Escobar, so Urias gets 3B.

Back in 2015 the DBacks traded their 1st round pick Toussant to get rid of the $9.5M Arroyo contract. That is the last time I have heard of a trade to dump a contract like I'm proposing. So probably isn't the way to go if I am replicating strategy from Dave Stewart. :laughing

I would forget Garcia and try to retain Escobar. Taylor is ready to step up and play RF. I don't know about your Cain/Lauer thing, but any money targeted for Garcia could go towards keeping Escobar with a 3 year deal. Switch hitting 3B with power and RBI producers are hard to come by. If they can't re-sign Escobar, then Urias is the 3B by default. Either way Urias gets plenty of playing time if there is a DH next year. Everybody in the inf. could get a day off and DH that day. No way I would move Yelich anywhere. Yelich, Cain (assuming he isn't traded), Taylor with JBJ and Pederson as the backups. Tellez is doing better than expected and isn't bad with the glove at 1B. He very well could be the answer at 1B. If they can re-sign Escobar at an affordable price, Stearns has fixed the two black holes the Crew had at 1B/3B.

Reds/Dodgers pulled off a salary shuffle back in the 2018/19 offseason that was somewhat similar.

Cincy wanted off Homer Bailey's 28 million so they attached Jeter Downs (later traded in Mookie deal) and Josiah Gray (later traded in Scherzer/Turner deal) to bring back what they viewed as more useful players in the here & now of 2019, Matt Kemp (21.5 million), Yasiel Puig (9.7 million), Alex Wood (9.65 million), Kyle Farmer and 7 million cash to offset salaries.

Dodgers got under the luxury tax & got two prospects back they developed into top 100 guys & later dealt for superstar MLB talent.

Reds went 75-87 with their trio of expensive veteran acquisitions chipping in -0.2 WAR for their 33 million in combined "discounted" salary.

If Scherzer/Turner help the Dodgers to defend their WS title (puke) this low key might be the most important MLB transaction of the last few years.

Don't trade away any of our pitching. It is the reason we are winning. Keep pitching. Win games. We will be just fine offensively.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Don't trade away any of our pitching. It is the reason we are winning. Keep pitching. Win games. We will be just fine offensively.

I admit, putting in Lauer was clickbait. But he was closer to a $10M in value than Turang, who is listed as $21M in value at baseballtradevalues. I would use Turang, and try and get someone decent back.

They could see if Garcia would agree to his mutual option for 2022 of $12 million and then give him two year extension beyond that for $35-$38 million. That would bring the total to 3 yrs. $47-50 million that gives team some relief for Cain's final contract year. I don't see him getting 4 years in the open market at age 30. Castellanos got 4 years from the Reds after the 2019 season but he was just turning 28, was coming off an ever better year than Avi is having and had been a bit more consistent over his career.