Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign David Dahl to minor league contract - big league camp invite

Eye Black

I put this in the major league section because David Dahl played in 63 games for the Rangers this season, and he is one of those players I can’t bring myself to stop believing in even though the evidence says I probably should. Still just 27 years old, it seems worth the chance to make a longshot bet on a late 20’s breakout.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I put this in the major league section because David Dahl played in 63 games for the Rangers this season, and he is one of those players I can’t bring myself to stop believing in even though the evidence says I probably should. Still just 27 years old, it seems worth the chance to make a longshot bet on a late 20’s breakout.

Same. I was heartbroken when someone took him one spot before me in the last round of fantasy baseball. I was convinced if he could stay healthy he'd be really productive. I was dumb. Definitely worth a flier.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I've been a big fan of Dahl for a while and would love it if he could resurrect his career in Milwaukee. However, this is just a strange signing to me. I assume he will be a free agent after this year so there is no long term benefit to signing him. We dont need the depth at AAA or AA. We currently have 31 players on the 28 man roster at AAA, and AA is also full. Not sure how we can exceed the maximum as its been like that for a while now. Also, I doubt Dahl would get a call up to the majors. He was really horrible in the majors this year (not quite Huira horrible but close). I would think Ray, Westbrook, and Lipka would be fine options if we had OF injuries in the majors. We also Stokes, DJ Petersen, and Derek Fischer (on IL) as depth. So not sure why we would sign him. Maybe try to resign him for next year?

Minor league signing so whatever but where would he even play in the majors? He's 6th at best on the OF depth chart right now. It would take a lot of bad things happening for him to even sniff the big leagues. You would think he could have found somewhere where he'd have a better chance at getting called up.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

David Dahl does not have a spleen.

So....there's that too.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

• 3 months later...

David Dahl’s MLB career line against RHP…

[pre]Split PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS

vs RHP 649 595 93 168 33 7 25 92 10 43 159 .283 .332 .494 .826[/pre]

Not bad for the former All-Star right fielder who is still just 27-years old.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

David Dahl’s MLB career line against RHP…

[pre]Split PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS

vs RHP 649 595 93 168 33 7 25 92 10 43 159 .283 .332 .494 .826[/pre]

Not bad for the former All-Star right fielder who is still just 27-years old.

An OF of Yelich-Cain-Renfroe with Taylor-Dahl as the backups?

I like it.

I'm pretty excited about Dahl actually, glad he is officially back. He was a perennial breakout candidate (as in, breaking out as a genuine stud) up until very recently. The only question would be if injuries permanently ruined him, but after we gave him a minors deal last fall he did very well at AAA. That's encouraging.

Is it fair to just throw away his 2020-21 stats? Maybe not, but let's be optimistic and do it anyway :laughing From 2016-2019 he hit a combined: 921 PA, .297/.346/.521/.867, .363 wOBA!

I'm pretty excited about Dahl actually, glad he is officially back. He was a perennial breakout candidate (as in, breaking out as a genuine stud) up until very recently. The only question would be if injuries permanently ruined him, but after we gave him a minors deal last fall he did very well at AAA. That's encouraging.

Is it fair to just throw away his 2020-21 stats? Maybe not, but let's be optimistic and do it anyway :laughing From 2016-2019 he hit a combined: 921 PA, .297/.346/.521/.867, .363 wOBA!

How much of that was playing half his games in Coors Field, though?

That and the walk rate are worries. Don't get me wrong, he's a nice co-4th OF with Tyrone Taylor... but the Coors Field effect and the low walk rate are red flags.

Dahl had a 918 OPS at Coors field. His OPS at Miller Park (am fam) is 718 in 29 PA for those who put stock in that sort of thing.

I've always been a big fan of Dahl but am hoping we find a better alternative for a 5th OF before Spring. He would be a great option in AAA next year if injuries occur. I just think there is too much risk to count on him.

if dahl has an opt-out clause, it wasn't because it was required under the current collective bargaining agreement (he lacks both the service time and did not finish the 2021 season on a major league roster or injured list). he would have had to negotiate that on his own with the brewers.

That option is interesting because if Dahl has an opt out they can add him to the 40 man and then send to the minors like they did with Choi a few years ago.

The 5th outfield spot now presumably belongs to Peterson, but since he doubles as infield insurance, and is not particularly great defensively in the outfield nor doesn't have much power, having a guy like Dahl on the 40 man with an option could make him a guy who ends up spending a large chunk of the season on the active roster even if he doesn't make the opening day roster. Peterson certainly had some nice stretches but still only slugged .367 (a career high). That's hardly corner outfield type production.