Brewer Fanatic

Is Christian Yelich the next Chris Davis?

edfunderburk

I see that the Orioles Chris Davis retired today

No doubt, an all-time bad decision on his contract extension

I’m a devoted & diehard Brewers fan who is perplexed & discouraged by the continued (two-year) slump / mediocre play of Christian Yelich

While I hope for better … I wonder if his future will (continue to be) similar to Chris Davis … something that could be challenging for the small market Brewers

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Extremely doubtful, Yelich has always been a much more well rounded hitter and athlete than Davis.

Yelich has a career .292 average and 21.6% K rate.

Even peak Davis could only muster a .256 average and 30.8% K rate from 2012-15.

Yelich has a 104 OPS+ & 1.3 WAR in 537 PAs over 2020-21, Davis has posted a 66 OPS+ and -5.7 WAR since 2017.

I see that the Orioles Chris Davis retired today

No doubt, an all-time bad decision on his contract extension

I’m a devoted & diehard Brewers fan who is perplexed & discouraged by the continued (two-year) slump / mediocre play of Christian Yelich

While I hope for better … I wonder if his future will (continue to be) similar to Chris Davis … something that could be challenging for the small market Brewers

The only thing I can tell you is, Chris Davis was always a low batting average, low on-base hitter who was a poor defender. That never really changed during his salad days with Baltimore. Once the power stroke dried up, Chris Davis was dried up

Yelich on the other hand is right outside the top 10 in the NL in on-base percentage. Even if he never slugs .500 again a average defender with great speed and elite OBP skills is a useful thing to have.

Not to mention it would be out of character for a front office like Milwaukee's to tie their hands in the future by giving out a contract to a player who then underperforms.

Yelich's problems are more likely to be fixable, given his OBP skills, his abilities on the basepaths, and I'd rate him as an above-average defender in left, and average in center and/or right.

He's no Chris Davis. If anything, the solution is to get his 2018/2019 swing back.

No way is Yelich an above average leftfielder.

The eye test tells a different story.

Poor arm, I mean to me, it is obvious he has a poor arm for an outfieler.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Nothing like a thread like this when we are 8 games up in the division in mid August.

Amazing……I’ll just enjoy the season.

It is BOTH possible to express concern about the individual performance of our highest-paid player AND enjoy the team's success.

Nothing like a thread like this when we are 8 games up in the division in mid August.

Well, the fact that Yelich is a shell of himself should be discussed by fans, right?

I mean, if someone is paying attention at all, it has to be a major concern.

Not just for the fans, but also the organization.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I just find it amazing that people continue to beat the horse to death.

He’s struggling……we get it……how many threads are necessary?

Brewers are winning anyway…..life is good.

I fully expect a thread like this the day after we win the World Series……..ok….carry on.

It is BOTH possible to express concern about the individual performance of our highest-paid player AND enjoy the team's success.

Correct answer. Just because someone expresses long-term concerns about Christian Yelich doesn't mean they're not enjoying the team ride of 2021. Just because someone expresses disappointment that the Bucks didn't re-sign PJ Tucker doesn't mean they weren't excited about the championship.

Conversely, just because we were rebuilding in 2015 and 2016 didn't mean that there weren't fun and exciting things to discuss. A team enjoying a positive season does not mean only positive aspects of the season can be discussed, and vice-versa.

On that note, if you had asked me before the season where we would be in the division on August 12th if Christian Yelich had 6 homeruns and a .717 OPS and Keston Hiura had a negative 1 WAR and was back in Nashville, I would have said 3rd place at the absolute best. If you had told me 23 games over. 500 and an 8 game lead in the Central I would have assumed you had completely lost your marbles.

Well, the fact that Yelich is a shell of himself should be discussed by fans, right?

I mean, if someone is paying attention at all, it has to be a major concern.

Not just for the fans, but also the organization.

I think it's fair to consider just how much better this team could be if Yelich was even coming close to living up to his reputation/contract. The fact that the team is doing as well at it is despite their MVP's down year is a testament to the way this team is put together. My hope is that Yelich is able to find a couple hot streaks at this point, and can help this team come playoff time.

how many threads are necessary?

Now THIS is a point I can agree with.

This discussion probably could have gone in the Yelich/Hiura thread. But to be fair, the Yelich contract was being discussed in a IGT the other day and people were told "this doesn't belong in an IGT, start a thread if you want to talk about the Yelich contract."

So, somebody did and now they're told it's unnecessary.

One big difference between the two is Chris Davis was considered by some to be more of a Quad-A player than a top prospect, and then he sort of inexplicably broke out at age-26 (he did have success during his debut season at age-22, but then regressed for a few seasons). Things sort of went full circle for Davis.

Yelich obviously had more pedigree and success at a young age. I am hopeful Yelich will make adjustments prior to next year that make him a little closer to the hitter he was previously. I keep reminding myself of how much better Omar Narvaez has looked this season after focusing on his swing mechanics last offseason.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

how many threads are necessary?

Now THIS is a point I can agree with.

This discussion probably could have gone in the Yelich/Hiura thread. But to be fair, the Yelich contract was being discussed in a IGT the other day and people were told "this doesn't belong in an IGT, start a thread if you want to talk about the Yelich contract."

So, somebody did and now they're told it's unnecessary.

I don't believe I was the person that told them that.

Anyway, I suppose it's a fair distinction to note a difference between 'contract' and 'performance', but they're pretty related....

To answer the question I don't think Yelich will be the next Chris Davis. MVP Yelich is probably gone forever but I think he'll probably settle back in as a 3 to 4 WAR player and maybe more like 1.5 to 2 in his mid 30s as he ages. That's my hope, anyway.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
To answer the question I don't think Yelich will be the next Chris Davis. MVP Yelich is probably gone forever but I think he'll probably settle back in as a 3 to 4 WAR player and maybe more like 1.5 to 2 in his mid 30s as he ages. That's my hope, anyway.

I'm here as well. I think the last two years of struggle is just as surprising as his breakout years. The truth is probably somewhere between the two.

Funny thing is that perspective is everything. If this happens, most people will be happy with it. But if he'd done this basically for the life of the contract without the last 2 really bad years, they'd probably be angrier than they'd end up being in your scenario.

Archived