Brewer Fanatic

2021 NLDS roster prediction

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a reminder that in the 2018 nlds, which had a 25-man roster, the brewers carried only 11 pitchers, and three of them were never used. and they didn't clinch the division until game 163.

i'm all for the 15 / 11 split.

I do remember, the Rockies didn't really put up much resistance. Seemed like everything CC did worked perfectly. That said, last time around we didn't even have the luxury of elite SP. We were rolling Chacin/Miley as our top 2 starters and then our current big 3 were relief weapons if i remember correctly. In an ideal world, we'll go SP to Hader with maybe 1 other guy having to pitch in games we win. We might need Hader to get more than 3 outs some games, hopefully he's ready for that.

a reminder that in the 2018 nlds, which had a 25-man roster, the brewers carried only 11 pitchers, and three of them were never used. and they didn't clinch the division until game 163.

I do remember, the Rockies didn't really put up much resistance. Seemed like everything CC did worked perfectly. That said, last time around we didn't even have the luxury of elite SP. We were rolling Chacin/Miley as our top 2 starters and then our current big 3 were relief weapons if i remember correctly. In an ideal world, we'll go SP to Hader with maybe 1 other guy having to pitch in games we win. We might need Hader to get more than 3 outs some games, hopefully he's ready for that.

Hader has said that extended outings aren't in the cards, but I can't imagine he wouldn't come in to put a fire out in the 8th and then finish a game.

deep outings by the starters are critical simply because the pen is pretty thin without Williams in there and the possibility of extra inning baseball.

personally I would have put one more reliever (Norris?) on the roster and kept Bradley off, especially with Taylor in the mix - I get that he's a great outfield defender, but am also trying to reverse-jinx the possibility of seeing him come up in extra innings in a key spot after replacing an OF defensively in a tight game late where Boxberger gives up an 8th inning run to tie it by worrying about it ahead of time.

They also almost ran out of pitchers in the NLCS Game 4 which caused them to ride Junior Guerra with an extremely high pitch count in extra innings which consequently resulted in him giving up the winning run.

he sounded pretty adamant that he's not going to pitch multi inning saves. I wouldn't count on it happening.

Was this recent? Or just something he said early in the season? Multi-inning outings are almost always a thing in the playoffs in cases with elite relievers. I can understand his commentary in the regular season but playoffs are and should be different.

he sounded pretty adamant that he's not going to pitch multi inning saves. I wouldn't count on it happening.

Was this recent? Or just something he said early in the season? Multi-inning outings are almost always a thing in the playoffs in cases with elite relievers. I can understand his commentary in the regular season but playoffs are and should be different.

Almost positive he was asked about it last week and said he preferred 1-inning outings. Counsell was also asked about it, and said Hader wouldn't be used any differently than he is now.

At this point, I think we simply have to admit that the idea of the 2018-esque multi-inning Hader appearance is dead, and probably move on.

I can't really foresee a scenario where I'd WANT to bring him in. Maybe if Freeman is coming up in the 8th with guys on base and we are up by a run. That's only if Ashby has already been used though. I think he'll be our left-handed fireman rather than using Hader early. If a guy has stated he doesn't want to do it and hasn't done it all year AND we have pretty good options instead then it just isn't going to happen. Our non-Gustave bullpen is pretty good, no reason to make Hader uncomfortable. Later in the series they may have Burnes, Woody or Peralta available in the pen as well to get an out or three.

Look, I know relievers have comfort zones and I'm all about keeping Hader in his but it's the playoffs, there are always exceptions and you have to be willing to ask guys to step out of that comfort zone a little in the postseason.

You're telling me that if there's 2 outs in the 8th inning of Game 5 and the Brewers are up 2-1, and Boxberger walks a man and the bases are suddenly loaded for Freddie Freeman, it's not an option here to bring in Hader to retire Freeman and then have him pitch the 9th?

Yeah, not buying that.

If the Brewers lose a lead and the series in the 8th inning because Hader only pitches the 9th both he and Counsell better be grilled about it.

LOL, how would that be any different than being asked about it every week for the last two years? I mean, it is what it is at this point, isn't it? That version of Hader isn't coming back.

Edited by Ron Robinson's Beard

Look, I know relievers have comfort zones and I'm all about keeping Hader in his but it's the playoffs, there are always exceptions and you have to be willing to ask guys to step out of that comfort zone a little in the postseason.

You're telling me that if there's 2 outs in the 8th inning of Game 5 and the Brewers are up 2-1, and Boxberger walks a man and the bases are suddenly loaded for Freddie Freeman, it's not an option here to bring in Hader to retire Freeman and then have him pitch the 9th?

Yeah, not buying that.

Agreed, and I don't think the scenario needs to be THAT extreme. Keeping Hader in a 1 inning role would be mismanagement in my opinion. I'm not interested in throwing up rookie Ashby in a key spot like that against Freeman to keep Hader in his comfort zone. No thanks. It's the playoffs, best on best.

If the Brewers lose a lead and the series in the 8th inning because Hader only pitches the 9th both he and Counsell better be grilled about it.

LOL, how would that be any different than being asked about it every week for the last two years? I mean, it is what it is at this point, isn't it? That version of Hader isn't coming back.

I think we all know that version of Hader isn't coming back, but there's a difference between that and at least having a miniscule amount of flexibility to deviate from the traditional routine.

This isn't unique to Josh Hader. It's the playoffs. Some of your more accomplished and routine-established pitchers ever are asked to pitch on short rest, come out of the pen, etc.

I think we all know that version of Hader isn't coming back, but there's a difference between that and at least having a miniscule amount of flexibility to deviate from the traditional routine.

I get that, and as a fan, I don't disagree. But every tea leaf points to the team continuing to be rigid concerning Hader's usage. I think we'll likely see some outside-the-box pitching moves in the playoffs from the Brewers. I just don't see any of them involving Hader, though.

Losing Suter is unfortunate.

He could be valuable if one of the starters has to be removed in the 5th or 6th innings.

I’m enthusiastic about Ashby’s future, but I’m nervous about counting on him in a tight playoff situation.

Edited by BruisedCrew
Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Yeah, not buying that.

This exactly!

Anyone saying they know how they will use Hader in EVERY situation is just plain crazy.

If the situation calls for it, you bet your butt CC will throw him in the 8th with 2 outs to put out a fire, then go ahead and let him have the 9th.

I don't care who said what last week or yesterday, if the situation arises where they need to think outside the box, they will.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS