Brewer Fanatic

2021 NLDS roster prediction

The Braves would be an interesting matchup for the Brewers in that they only have one left handed starter (Max Fried), but they have 5 left handed bullpen arms. Having some right handed hitting options off the bench, such as Taylor, could prove helpful.

On a different note, David Dahl is ineligible for the Postseason, correct? I know the rule is being on the 40-man before the end of August, but I wasn’t sure if the rules were any different for a player that had been on another team’s 40-man during the season. I’m guessing no, that he remains ineligible.

Even if he could be eligible it would obviously take something unforeseen for him to have an opening, but who would’ve guessed Ryon Healy was going to have meaningful Postseason at bats last season.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since the all-star break, Lauer, Houser, and Ashby have outperformed Woodruff and Peralta. That won’t impact who starts the first three games, but it likely impacts the leash on the starters.

Brandon Woodruff and Freddy Peralta would do pretty good too if all they had to do was pitch 2-3 innings.

On a different note, David Dahl is ineligible for the Postseason, correct? I know the rule is being on the 40-man before the end of August, but I wasn’t sure if the rules were any different for a player that had been on another team’s 40-man during the season. I’m guessing no, that he remains ineligible.

david dahl could be eligible.

any player in the organization by 31 august is eligible for postseason play.

important to note as you make your predictions for a 26-man roster for the national league division series after you brush up on these rules.

Since the all-star break, Lauer, Houser, and Ashby have outperformed Woodruff and Peralta. That won’t impact who starts the first three games, but it likely impacts the leash on the starters.

I would agree with this to a degree. I think even Burnes will have a much shorter leash in the postseason than regular season. We can't exactly afford to leave a starter in to get beaten up for 6 runs in 4 innings. That's literally punting a game. With Houser/Ashby doing so well, I'm hoping we'll have those guys ready to go as soon as the starters stumble. Lauer, he's performed so darn well I think he's forced his way into starting game 4.

I would agree with this to a degree. I think even Burnes will have a much shorter leash in the postseason than regular season. We can't exactly afford to leave a starter in to get beaten up for 6 runs in 4 innings. That's literally punting a game. With Houser/Ashby doing so well, I'm hoping we'll have those guys ready to go as soon as the starters stumble. Lauer, he's performed so darn well I think he's forced his way into starting game 4.

Yep.

2021, OPS against Burnes per time through the order:

1st: .434

2nd: .394

3rd: .803

Shorter outings are generally better, even for your horses. That's why I'm not too concerned with what the playoff "rotation" is. They'll try to get 27 outs as best and efficiently as they can and I think that's how they'll approach it.

Some of it might even evolve and be situation dependent. For example, if you're up 6-0 in Game 1 after 5 and Burnes is at 57 pitches, what do you do? Do you pull the plug there and maybe get him back a game sooner? Do you ride him as long as possible and try to save as many of the others as you can? A lot of different scenarios that I'm sure they are discussing.

When Adames gets back, I sure hope we don't forcefeed Escobar into the lineup in the playoffs and leave Urias on the bench. He's been one of the best 3-4 players on this roster since the allstar break and has double the WAR of Escobar since Escobar's acquisition. Having all those players is a good problem to have, but Urias needs to be in the starting lineup everyday in the playoffs...which probably means Escobar plays 1b or hits the bench.

When Adames gets back, I sure hope we don't forcefeed Escobar into the lineup in the playoffs and leave Urias on the bench. He's been one of the best 3-4 players on this roster since the allstar break and has double the WAR of Escobar since Escobar's acquisition. Having all those players is a good problem to have, but Urias needs to be in the starting lineup everyday in the playoffs...which probably means Escobar plays 1b or hits the bench.

Urias has been very good but Escobar isn't being forced into the lineup, he has also been pretty good. Certainly room for both - Rowdy/Vogelbach would be the guys to see less ABs.

I think we will see a heavy dose of shorter outings. That is the beauty of the postseason. Ashby, Houser, and Lauer will pitch quite a bit. Especially in games they know the BP is depleted. If our postseason run goes awhile I am pretty confident one of the 'Big 3' will get pulled early even though they are pitching well...whether that be for a PH opportunity or just based on analytics. Armchair managers will be ready to fire away.

Urias has been very good but Escobar isn't being forced into the lineup, he has also been pretty good. Certainly room for both - Rowdy/Vogelbach would be the guys to see less ABs.

I suspect there will be at least a couple times it comes down to a choice between the 2 at 3b and CC will go with Escobar and I'll be annoyed. Both have been good, for 3b specifically Urias is the better option by a small but definitive margin. At 1b it's tough to quantify because Escobar has probably been the better hitter but doesn't have a ton of experience at 1b and you can't really have an error due to inexperience in a playoff game.

also to note, in 2018, after playing game 163 to advance to the nlds, the brewers had two off days (not four like they will this year) before starting their best-of-five series with colorado. that roster had 11 pitchers (44%) and 14 position players (56%). they used only 8 of the 11 pitchers, but all 14 position players in the series. granted, they only played three of potential five games, but the club had no way of knowing they'd sweep when constructing their nlds roster.

adam mccalvy hints that the brewers might go with 11 pitchers and 15 position players for the nlds.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I predict being angry for the next 50 years that we didn’t bother to get Luke Barker onto the 40-man roster at the end of August.

And that our 6 starters will consistently throw at least 7 innings, tag-teaming where necessary.

Oh, and our 11th pitcher is Jake Cousins, 12th is Brett Anderson and 13th is Miguel Sanchez.

No JBJ.

I'm assuming they are can be around in case of an outbreak, but if they are around doesn't that make them susceptible to being part of the outbreak?
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Maile is definitely a contender for one of the last spots.

Omar, Manny, Rowdy, Vogelbach, Escobar, Wong, Adames, Urias, Peterson, Yelich, Cain, Avisail, Tyrone is 13.

Burnes, Woodruff, Peralta, Lauer, Houser, Hader, Boxberger, Strickland, Suter, Cousins, Ashby is 11.

First of all, huge credit to the training staff for getting all of the clear top guys on the roster to Game 1 of the NLDS healthy & ready to go.

That leaves two spots for some combination of Maile, JBJ, Reyes, Anderson, Sanchez or Gustave. Ideally they wouldn't need to use whichever pair makes it anyway, but I'd give Maile the edge over JBJ on the position player side because it gives you a safety net if you PH Piña, who is the 2nd best RH option on the bench. JBJ would really only be there to pinch run since none of Yelich, Cain or Avisail are getting pulled for their defense.