Brewer Fanatic

2021-08-10, Game 1: Brewers (Peralta) at Cubs (Steele) [Brewers win, 4-2 in 7 innings]

Eye Black

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you completely ignore prior success and contracts, it makes complete sense that Yelich isn't starting today. He hasn't been one of the best 2 corner outfield players on this team this year. That said, it still is very surprising to me that he's not starting.

As sad as it is, Taylor probably gives you a better chance to win at this point. I know that’s not why he’s starting over Yelich, but it’s reality.

Against a lefty, Taylor makes sense in a double header day. Yelich has been really bad vs. LHP (.164/.309/.327/.636) and pretty solid against RHP (.253/.401/.371/.772).

But make no mistake, he has been better than Taylor against RHP (.211/.320/.391/.711) but Taylor has mashed LHP (.304/.342/.551/.893) so it is a good decision to start him vs LHP. Although Taylor needs to get back into gear here as he has not been good as of late.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

It's a doubleheader....perfectly fine to give Yelich the first game off after coming back from 10 days of non activity with a lefty going.

I will be interested to see what they do with the roster going forward....still carrying an extra position player......5 outfielders seems like 1 too many.

My guess is Taylor goes down for a few weeks unless somebody else gets hurt or Covid.

Against a lefty, Taylor makes sense in a double header day. Yelich has been really bad vs. LHP (.164/.309/.327/.636) and pretty solid against RHP (.253/.401/.371/.772).

But make no mistake, he has been better than Taylor against RHP (.211/.320/.391/.711) but Taylor has mashed LHP (.304/.342/.551/.893) so it is a good decision to start him vs LHP. Although Taylor needs to get back into gear here as he has not been good as of late.

After posting that, I also realized that Yelich is only a couple days removed from quarantine and probably shouldn't be playing 14 innings in a day yet. With a LH starter, it kinda makes sense.

The Brewers offense hasn’t had a great last 10 days or so, and they’ve been especially ineffective scoring early runs to give the SP a little cushion. Would be nice to see that change in this series.
Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

It is depressing to hear a .772 OPS split against RHP by Yelich be described as "solid".

Especially because the fat part of the OPS comes in the form of walks. Really need a lot more than that from him.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

It is depressing to hear a .772 OPS split against RHP by Yelich be described as "solid".

I wonder what league average is. I’d bet it’s lower. I know what you’re saying but I don’t thinks it’s nearly as bad as we all think right now.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

The results may not be there but my memory seems to be he's still been hitting the ball hard.

Especially because the fat part of the OPS comes in the form of walks. Really need a lot more than that from him.

The fat part of that OPS is OBP, which actually makes it more valuable than a SLG heavy .772 OPS. Roughly speaking 1.8 x OBP + SLG = Value.

The fat part of that OPS is OBP, which actually makes it more valuable than a SLG heavy .772 OPS. Roughly speaking 1.8 x OBP + SLG = Value.

When we are dissecting whether which component of a platoon-advantaged sub-0.800 OPS is best for the hitter paid to be a perennial MVP candidate on this roster for the foreseeable future, we all know how awful that contract is shaping up to look....I'm as big a fan of Yelich as there is and loved the trade to bring him in from the moment it happened - however, from the day he fouled that ball off his knee in September 2019 it's been a trainwreck that was unquestionably compounded by giving him that massive contract extension way too soon and well before he proved to be the same player after that injury.

I'm still pulling for him to get himself right and at least get back to being a factor in the middle of the order....but it's really starting to try my patience waiting for consistent flashes of 2018-2019 Yelich to resurface.

Taylor did have a cold spell of about a week were he went hitless (but still had some walks). Before that though he was coming off 4 consecutive multihit games, and then he had another one in Saturday's game to break the hitless streak. I'd say he is doing fine. If that cold spell was still going I'd be more concerned.

Strike Four, you’re out.

What is really infuriating about that is during the Giants series, Kapler asked the HP umpire to ask the other umpires about a fair/foul bunt call. He did and they overturned it. Counsell then went out to argue how they could see it better than the home plate ump. Now he asks for the same type review and they refuse. How about some consistency?

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Hard to sweep double-headers but hoping having some pen help back will make life a bit easier. Be nice if the Crew could put together a big inning to make the gameplan easier. Lots of soft contact in the first.

I guess we’ll have to wait a few innings for the Brewers to get a ball out of the infield.

I wonder what league average is. I’d bet it’s lower. I know what you’re saying but I don’t thinks it’s nearly as bad as we all think right now.

I think it is totally fair for fans to measure Yelich by a standard higher than “average”.

Archived