Brewer Fanatic

2021-08-08: Giants (Cueto) at Brewers (Anderson) [Brewers lose, 5-4 -- Anderson exits with calf cramping; Misplays cost the Crew down the stretch]

Eye Black
Just a note that Yelich is hitting .219 since Yu Darvish intimated that he may be getting tipped off to pitches.

How long after was the knee cap? I think that’s more to do than anything.

Darvish's comments came that November. Right now I believe him, although I can't prove it. If it was his knee cap, more would be made of it than what is, which is nothing. Injuries do heal.

Was Yelich supposed to be getting tipped off on the road too?

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just a note that Yelich is hitting .219 since Yu Darvish intimated that he may be getting tipped off to pitches.

How long after was the knee cap? I think that’s more to do than anything.

Darvish's comments came that November. Right now I believe him, although I can't prove it. If it was his knee cap, more would be made of it than what is, which is nothing. Injuries do heal.

Mental injuries sometimes do not. That’s what I think on his situation anyways.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

And just to add, if it is injuries, Mark A and Sternes should've done their homework before handing out that kind of cash. I don't like thinking he was successful because of being tipped off, but that's what I believe. It's been a near two year slump. You don't ever see nosedives like that.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I will never understand the Norris acquisition … he’s been terrible all year - before & after the trade. Not sure what Stearns & Arnold saw that led to the trade.

I think he saw a lefty who throws in the mid-90s, and had looked good in the month before the trade. Lightning struck with the Pomeranz deal a couple years ago, and there were some similar characteristics between the two. Obviously rare for lightning to strike twice, though, as we are seeing.

But it's still early. Norris could turn out to have some value yet.

I will never understand the Norris acquisition … he’s been terrible all year - before & after the trade. Not sure what Stearns & Arnold saw that led to the trade.

Sternes has been money on pretty much every acqusition he has made this year. The Norris one was not one of them.

He's here for 2 months. He doesn't have a lot of time to make a good impression. We'll probably get 10 or 15 more innings out of him the entire season.

Here is a sample of what we were saying in the IGT about Drew Pomeranz during his 5th appearance with the Brewers on August 13, 2019…

I’m not convinced Pomeranz has fixed his command issues.
I have no idea what we saw in Pomeranz to acquire him, let alone for him to be the guy here in the 8th in a close game. He isn't good. And when he misses, he's not even close.

At that point Pomeranz had gone 5 appearances, 6.0 IP, 5 hits, 4 walks, and 4 earned runs while having a .979 OPS against. After that he went 20 appearances, 20.1 IP, 11 hits, 4 walks, and just 3 earned runs while having a .443 OPS against.

I’m not suggesting either will turn into Pomeranz, but I think we need to give these guys a little more leeway before we make any definitive conclusions, especially in the case of Curtiss who has been the victim of some awful defensive blunders.

I'm certain I'm being overeactionary, yes. But I also think that anyone expecting history to repeat itself with Pomeranz is probably looking at a pretty unrealistic scenario.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I'm certain I'm being overeactionary, yes. But I also think that anyone expecting history to repeat itself with Pomeranz is probably looking at a pretty unrealistic scenario.

I don't know if anyone is expecting history to repeat itself with Norris. Pomeranz was an absolute stud after his slow start. But I don't think it's out of order to believe that an arm like Norris can be of some use in the remaining 50-some odd games.

Yeah, which is why I said I wasn’t suggesting either would replicate Pomeranz’s success, just that the sample remains small thus far.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Archived