Brewer Fanatic

2021-08-08: Giants (Cueto) at Brewers (Anderson) [Brewers lose, 5-4 -- Anderson exits with calf cramping; Misplays cost the Crew down the stretch]

Eye Black
Brandon Belt is seemingly the only guy who is stinging the ball for the Giants this series.

Which begs the question .... why aren't they working around the guy?

It sort of worked out but having guys who crush lefty pitching coming up behind Belt with a guy who gets crushed by them probably isn't a good idea.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yelich's 2021 OPS Over/Under: .750

Painful to even ask.

I’ll say over. Be positive about it that he will find a hot streak at some point here.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Just a note that Yelich is hitting .219 since Yu Darvish intimated that he may be getting tipped off to pitches.

How long after was the knee cap? I think that’s more to do than anything.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

He can’t really be this bad. That kind of a decline is just about unbelievable. There has to be something going on. As it is, the highest compliment I can pay this team is that they have accomplished miracles while getting absolutely nothing from their nine-figure face of the franchise this year. They better keep it up.

Getting kinda tired of waiting for Yelich to return to form. It used to be, "Oh boy, Yelich is up!" No such expectations so far this year. And it's August

EDIT. I see I was a little late to this party. But yeah, he's probably been the biggest disappointment of the year (including Hiura).

Just a note that Yelich is hitting .219 since Yu Darvish intimated that he may be getting tipped off to pitches.

Yea, he still walks at a pretty good clip, so his pitch recognition hasn’t been terrible.

I don't understand not taking a look. He's safe, but you never know what those dummies in New York will see. At this point in the game you basically have unlimited challenges, so there's nothing to lose.

He's here for 2 months. He doesn't have a lot of time to make a good impression. We'll probably get 10 or 15 more innings out of him the entire season.

Here is a sample of what we were saying in the IGT about Drew Pomeranz during his 5th appearance with the Brewers on August 13, 2019…

I’m not convinced Pomeranz has fixed his command issues.
I have no idea what we saw in Pomeranz to acquire him, let alone for him to be the guy here in the 8th in a close game. He isn't good. And when he misses, he's not even close.

At that point Pomeranz had gone 5 appearances, 6.0 IP, 5 hits, 4 walks, and 4 earned runs while having a .979 OPS against. After that he went 20 appearances, 20.1 IP, 11 hits, 4 walks, and just 3 earned runs while having a .443 OPS against.

I’m not suggesting either will turn into Pomeranz, but I think we need to give these guys a little more leeway before we make any definitive conclusions, especially in the case of Curtiss who has been the victim of some awful defensive blunders.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Darvish's comments came that November. Right now I believe him and is why Yelich has done next to nothing since, although I can't prove it. If it was his knee cap, more would be made of it than what is, which is nothing. Injuries do heal.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Easy to see why this Giants team has the record it does despite a lack of star power. They are pesky, and play smart baseball. They take advantage of the opposing team's mistakes. They have good at-bats for the most part. They are a team I wouldn't look forward to seeing in the postseason, because this is the type of team that sneaks up on you and takes a playoff series.

I'm actually more interested in his back. He just seems stiff like he's lost some flexibility.

Archived