Brewer Fanatic

2021-08-07: Giants (Sanchez) at Brewers (Woodruff) [Brewers lose, 9-6 in 11 innings -- Garcia misplays the would’ve been game winning catch in 9th]

Eye Black
  • Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Fantastic way to drop a game. I’m sure it’ll be blamed on our COVID list. Spare me the excuses Lafluer

It's nuanced. If not for covid, we wouldn't have had Suter out there in the 9th, but also, at the same time, the game very literally should have been over regardless. I see both sides of it.

Fantastic way to drop a game. I’m sure it’ll be blamed on our COVID list. Spare me the excuses Lafluer

It's nuanced. If not for covid, we wouldn't have had Suter out there in the 9th, but also, at the same time, the game very literally should have been over regardless. I see both sides of it.

Sorry but this is all on Avi. 100%.

Sorry but this is all on Avi. 100%.

I mean sure. I said that, but there's also another side to that.

Two games they should have won the last two series and lost a game and half in the standings int the process. Not good.

If they should have won game 2 vs. the Pirates, they equally should have lost game 3, so that one cancelled out IMO.

It’s an absolutely awful way to lose. I guess if you’re going to pick any one team to lose to it’s probably the Giants, since them winning the NL West is likely the best scenario for the Brewers World Series chances.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

On the bright side, Brewers will have the more rested pen tomorrow, I guess.

Brewers win or Reds loss tomorrow, and I'll be alright with the weekend. Sich a long way to go in the season still. The Reds have given away a couple themselves in the last week.

Reset button time.

This one's on you Avi

Would also be kinda nice to score more than 2 dang runs in a game this series to take some pressure off a decimated bullpen.

Agreed but you just can't drop a fly ball on the warning track for the last out of the game.

Somewhat surprised they had the infield in with no outs. One run is basically a given there- why not keep the IF back and try to keep it from being a bigger thing?

Yeah, I definitely think you should play for the double play in that situation since you’ll have the extra runner in the bottom of the inning.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Somewhat surprised they had the infield in with no outs. One run is basically a given there- why not keep the IF back and try to keep it from being a bigger thing?

That's what I didn't like. Give up one run. You're starting with a man on 2nd in the bottom half. You give up one to keep (hopefully) the bigger inning from happening. Couple of strategic head scratchers from CC tonight.

On the bright side, Brewers will have the more rested pen tomorrow, I guess.

Brewers win or Reds loss tomorrow, and I'll be alright with the weekend. Sich a long way to go in the season still. The Reds have given away a couple themselves in the last week.

Reset button time.

Reds ain’t losing tomorrow

Probably something about a generally anemic offensive performance tonight making the prospect of any sort of a deficit to overcome a tall order. Or maybe they had something with Buster’s batted ball profile vs Sanchez’s repertoire?

Two errors in as many innings for Avi. This one's gonna hurt.

Just one, says our terrible official scorer.

It's not his fault, an error is never given when the ball isn't touched. Stupid rule though, yea.

It’s not actually the rule. The issue is interpreting the Comment for Rule 9.12(a)(1) for official scorers. The relevant statements are below:

It is not necessary that the fielder touch the ball to be charged with an error… The Official Scorer shall charge an outfielder with an error if such outfielder allows a fly ball to drop to the ground if, in the Official Scorer’s judgment, an outfielder at that position making ordinary effort would have caught such fly ball.

Apparently, the official scorer believes that the play Garcia was attempting to make was more than “ordinary effort.” It seems that most of us wouldn’t agree. But that disagreement is over evaluating what level of effort would’ve been needed to make the catch. (Of course, taking a terrible route made the play look way more difficult than it should’ve been.)

Archived