Brewer Fanatic

Ideal lineup?

ebmackenzie

Starting lineup in September to take a run at the pennant. Yes Yeli and Cain batting so low in the order would have been unfathomable a few years back, is just the way their OPSs are dictating events now. Am I off?

Wong - 2b

Adames - ss

Omar N - c

EEscobar - 3b/1b

Avi - rf

Tellez/Urias - 1b/3b

Yelich - lf

LoCain - cf

Bench

Jace

MPina

TyTaylor

JBJ

Rotation

Woody

CBurnes

FPeralta

Lauer

BAnderson

Houser (to pen soon enough)

Pen

Hader

DevWill

Boxbrgr

Suter

Curtiss

DNorris

HStrickland

Shuttle if necessary

Cousins

Gustave

MSanchez

AAshby

APerdomo

Maile

Reyes

TShaw

Voglbch

Am I off? Yes, you’re off. Yelich isn’t moving to the 7-hole.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

This version of Yelich, which is hopefully his floor, is a great 2 or maybe even 1 hitter due to OBP and base running
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

He said "is this the ideal line-up.?"

In the here and now, I think that is pretty close to the ideal line-up.

Can Yelich turn things around? I sure hope so, but there aren't many signs saying that is going to happen.

I think Yelich should be dropped in the line-up, but that might be another different conversation all together.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

This version of Yelich, which is hopefully his floor, is a great 2 or maybe even 1 hitter due to OBP and base running

I agree with this. Yelich batting 7th takes away his biggest value.

It isn’t ideal to have two LH at 1-2, but Wong and Yelich are not completely neutered by LHP.

The way they are hitting now, I think I would put Yelich 1st and Wong 2nd.

I would also move Narvaez down further. He hasn’t been hitting that great lately and he is by far the slowest guy in the lineup.

I propose:

Yelich

Wong

Adames

Escobar

Garicia

Tellez/Urias

Cain

Narvaez (second cleanup hitter)

Pitcher

Actually, in a lineup with no superstar hot hitters and no complete black holes, the batting order becomes relatively unimportant. Tinker with it to reflect who is hot, but don’t overthink it.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

"Simulation studies have repeatedly shown that the order in which players bat in the lineup has minimal impact on the team’s runs scored"

Bill James

Fans(for whatever reason) love to spend time thinking about things that don't really matter.

He said "is this the ideal line-up.?"

In the here and now, I think that is pretty close to the ideal line-up.

Can Yelich turn things around? I sure hope so, but there aren't many signs saying that is going to happen.

I think Yelich should be dropped in the line-up, but that might be another different conversation all together.

The guy leading our team in OBP hitting 7th? I don’t think even that part is “ideal”. It’s what fans do right now to make a point that Yelich hasn’t lived up to the high standards he set.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

"Simulation studies have repeatedly shown that the order in which players bat in the lineup has minimal impact on the team’s runs scored"

Bill James

Fans(for whatever reason) love to spend time thinking about things that don't really matter.

Do you have the context for this quote? Because the first spot in the order is expected to have roughly 120 more PAs than the 9th spot. I would think that a high OBP guy at the top of the order vs at the end could make a serious difference in terms of runs scored over the course of the season based on the PAs alone.

Archived