Brewer Fanatic

NL CY Young Race

rickh150

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Burnes loses it won't be because of him playing for the Brewers and not the Dodgers.

The AL Cy Young has come from a big market on the coast 4 times dating back to 2000. Two of those wins were 2000 and 2001. I only bring up the AL because their league has been a bit more of an open door for the award. The NL has had guys like Kershaw/DeGrom/Lincecum/Scherzer rack up the award wins to easily skew the results and make it look like coast bias

If Burnes loses for a dumb reason it will be because Max Scherzer is an all-time great and has won the award many times. It is hard to compete with a three time winner, won as long ago as 2013, won it in both leagues, and has even won it two years in a row.

If Burnes loses it won't be because of him playing for the Brewers and not the Dodgers.

The AL Cy Young has come from a big market on the coast 4 times dating back to 2000. Two of those wins were 2000 and 2001. I only bring up the AL because their league has been a bit more of an open door for the award. The NL has had guys like Kershaw/DeGrom/Lincecum/Scherzer rack up the award wins to easily skew the results and make it look like coast bias

If Burnes loses for a dumb reason it will be because Max Scherzer is an all-time great and has won the award many times. It is hard to compete with a three time winner, won as long ago as 2013, won it in both leagues, and has even won it two years in a row.

Nope, I don't buy it.

Scherzer has any tie breaker in the minds of those who vote based on being a Dodger, one of the holy teams in MLB.

This of course is my opinion, I have no evidence or scientific proof.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

A lot of good points made in here but I wanted to clarify something - there are no WAR frameworks which look at a pitcher’s win/loss record or run support.

Fangraphs uses FIP

Baseball Reference uses RA9

Baseball Prospectus uses DRA

Welcome to the board, TheAnalytics.

I believe BREF also adds adjustments based on quality of opponent & team defense, which is how they come up with stuff like Wade Miley & Tyler Mahle having the same 5.7 WAR as Burnes, whereas FanGraphs RA9 WAR has Corbin at 6.5 with Miley/Mahle at 4.4.

It certainly adds some drama to tomorrow nights game, and it's not like we are playing the Pirates. A bit of a pressure game for Burnes can't hurt either, even if it is more of a personal achievement type thing. The odds sure seem to swing on ERA, it was Buehler, Buehler, Buehler for what seemed like weeks and suddenly he got shelled and all the talk moved toward Scherzer.

LA, LA, LA, WEST COAST, WEST COAST, LA, LA, LA.

This is what the voters see, and that is what they will see when it comes time to vote.

Burnes needs to have an excellent outing next time up so the voters can see what he does against their damn west coast team.

Imagine if he goes 6 strong, no runs, 9 ks? Doubtful he goes 6 no matter how well he is doing to be honest.

It will take a good showing against the freaking Dodgers for the voters to maybe take notice.

Okay. Last year's winners were from Cleveland and Cincinnati.

Burnes will finish his season with a 2.43 ERA, currently in first and I think should stay in first guaranteed without a dodger game 163.

Maybe not. Buehler is only .06 behind him and is scheduled for tomorrow which I didn't notice.

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Burnes will finish his season with a 2.43 ERA, currently in first and I think should stay in first guaranteed without a dodger game 163.

Maybe not. Buehler is only .06 behind him and is scheduled for tomorrow which I didn't notice.

Buehler finishes with 2.47 ERA. Burnes gets the ERA title.

In a poll of 5 CBS experts, Wheeler was the overwhelming favorite. Burnes got a single 2nd place vote and no 1st/3rd places votes.
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

In a poll of 5 CBS experts, Wheeler was the overwhelming favorite. Burnes got a single 2nd place vote and no 1st/3rd places votes.

East Coast / West Coast bias comes through loud and clear.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Corbin Burnes is the first pitcher to lead his league in both SO/9 and BB/9 since Walter Johnson in 1913.

Sadly Burnes is "only" second to Scherzer; 1.83 BB/9 for Burnes vs 1.81. So very close. Also I believe he would've been the first qualified pitcher ever to lead in K/9, BB/9 and HR/9.

At least Wheeler would be a "logical" illogical choice. #SayNoToTheDodgers

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/corbin-burnes-masterful-season-deserves-a-cy-young-finish/

Great article. Give the man his hardware.

And a haircut.

Putting it right up there with 1999 Pedro puts it all in perspective. Burnes is an all-time SP for Milwaukee, and his 2021 is right up there with the best seasons ever. Man. This is a historically great pitching staff.

Great article is right.

• 1 month later...