Brewer Fanatic

Annual Saves Leaders

AJOHNSON104

With Axford's short-lived return to the Brewers it got me thinking about how the Brewer closers have seemed to last only about 2 years before trade, ineffectiveness, etc. I looked back to 2000 and it was pretty accurate.

2000 - Wichman 16, Leskanic 12

2001 - Leskanic 17

2002 - Dejean 27

2003 - Koln 21, Dejean 18

2004 - Kolb 39

2005 - Turnbow 39

2006 - Turnbow 24

2007 - Cordero 44

2008 - Torres 28, Gagne 10

2009 - Hoffman 37

2010 - Axford 24, Hoffman 10

2011 - Axford 46

2012 - Axford 35

2013 - Henderson 28

2014 - Krod 44

2015 - Krod 38

2016 - Jeffress 27, Thornburg 13

2017 - Knebel 39

2018 - Knebel 16, Jeffress 15, Hader 12

2019 - Hader 37

2020 - Hader 13

Hader is actually working on 3+ years as the main closer (depending on how you view 2018), which is highly unusual in recent Brewer history.

I totally forgot about the one year wonder that was Jim Henderson. What a strange career.
Me too. I knew he played for us but didn't recall he was our closer and a good one... for that year. Here is his BRef page for those who want to go down memory lane. https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/hendeji01.shtml

I find it highly offensive that Bref's picture of him is in a cubs uniform. Not sure why it bothered me so much, but he never played for them in the majors (just AA/AAA before he played for the Brewers). If not a Brewers uniform, at least show him in a Mets uniform since that was his last organization. I mean the guy is our AAA pitching coach.

One consequence is that Dan Plesac is still the all time career saves leader at only 133. Hader currently just has 84 hurt undoubtedly by the shortened 2020 or he would have to be pretty much a shoo-in to take the mark next year. He still could get there by next year, but it will take a good full year in all likelihood.

Earliest memories of County Stadium definitely involve Plesac coming out of the pen to "Saw Her Standing There" (talk about an intimidating closer song) and when it got to the "I wouldn't dance with another" part the PA guy would drop the volume and everybody would scream out the "WOOOOO".

Also remember Chuck Crim being a pretty nails setup man for Plesac and the original CC did have a nice three year run to start his career...

87: 53 G | 130 IP | 125 ERA+ | 2.6 WAR

88: 70 G | 105 IP | 137 ERA+ | 1.7 WAR

89: 76 G | 117 IP | 137 ERA+ | 2.7 WAR

So far, it looks like Hader might buck that trend, assuming he remains on the team. He's been healthy and his non-fastball stuff has improved. Certainly doesn't seem to be slowing down (probably helps, despite our protests, that he's only doing one-inning appearances).

Isn't this in line with the Moneyball thinking about relievers? Don't invest big money in relievers. One reason being that they tend to be inconsistent.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Isn't this in line with the Moneyball thinking about relievers? Don't invest big money in relievers. One reason being that they tend to be inconsistent.

Yup. Most teams end up cycling through closers every couple two tree years just because it's pretty rare for relievers to be both healthy & effective for multiple seasons consecutively.

Looking at the reliever leaderboard since 2000, Mariano is still 1st with 29.2 WAR & he hasn't pitched in eight years.

Chapman is second, 9 WAR behind Rivera, leading a group of five guys (Kenley, Nathan, Kimbrel, Papelbon) grouped between 19-20 WAR.

Rounding out the top 10 are K-Rod, Wagner, Soria & Rafael Betancourt around 15-16 WAR.

Even starting in 2010, to make it a little more contemporary there is a pretty big drop off from the three active guys in the 19-20 WAR group down to David Robertson in 4th at 13.3 WAR. Then a grouping of Holland, Betances, Melancon & Doolittle around 11-12 WAR.

I feel like a lot of baseball fans probably think something like half of the top ten relievers over the last ten to twenty years suck.

Yup. Most teams end up cycling through closers every couple two tree years just because it's pretty rare for relievers to be both healthy & effective for multiple seasons consecutively.

Charlie Berens...Is that you?

Charlie Berens...Is that you?

Voice to text strikes again.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'm willing to go out on a limb And guess that most teams have saves leaders lists that look pretty similar to this. You'll have the occasional Mariano Rivera type that sticks with a team for a good long while but others have already pointed out that relievers are pretty volatile, even the top tier relievers. I think you really have to look at the absolute world-class guys like Rivera and Hoffman as outliers.

I have never heard a crowd boo a home player as loudly as Brewer fans booed Gagne.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I have never heard a crowd boo a home player as loudly as Brewer fans booed Gagne.

Not a home game, but for some reason I remembered that bomb Gagne gave up to Fukudome on Opening Day at Wrigley as a walk off, but just looked up the box score & it actually just tied the game in the bottom of the 9th, with Gagne eventually getting out of the inning after 31 pitches.

Top of the 10th, Counsell leads off with a pinch hit double, Kendall bunts him to 3rd, Weeks HBP & then TGJ sac flies CC for the go ahead run. David Riske closes it out for the save retiring Theriot, Soriano & Derrek Lee in order for the save.

2008 kinda seems like forever ago.

Earliest memories of County Stadium definitely involve Plesac coming out of the pen to "Saw Her Standing There" (talk about an intimidating closer song) and when it got to the "I wouldn't dance with another" part the PA guy would drop the volume and everybody would scream out the "WOOOOO".

Also remember Chuck Crim being a pretty nails setup man for Plesac and the original CC did have a nice three year run to start his career...

87: 53 G | 130 IP | 125 ERA+ | 2.6 WAR

88: 70 G | 105 IP | 137 ERA+ | 1.7 WAR

89: 76 G | 117 IP | 137 ERA+ | 2.7 WAR

Chuck Crim is one of my all time favorite Brewers that few remember. In some ways Brent Suter reminds me of him. They take the ball whenever asked and usually get the job done in an efficient, if unspectacular, way.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

It's funny how music immediately conjures up memories and emotions. I cannot hear that song without thinking of Brewers games.

Also, "I'm a Believer," though later generations might associate it with Shrek (via the Smashmouth cover).

Bill Laimbeer appeared as a Sleestak in at least one episode:

https://andrewhearst.com/blog/2005/02/bill-laimbeer-was-a-sleestak

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived