Brewer Fanatic

Hader to Covid IL - Latest: Hader reinstated, Milner to AAA

markedman5
Considering all the Brewers that have tested positive so far were vaxxed what difference does it make? He almost certainly got it from one of them.

Well, if he didn't get the shot he could be out for far more than the mandatory 10 days. If he's out for a month or two and doesn't have the stamina to pitch well down the stretch, it might sink the brewers chances.

Just keep in mind that any time lost by a key pitcher now is a little less load management that we need to worry about in late September and October.

I don’t think a pitcher will be able to pitch more innings in September and October if he sits out the whole month of August than if he pitches an inning or two a week in August.

My question right now is the timeline for all of the other pitchers. Getting Cousins, Strickland, and Gustave back, and not losing anyone else, would make the loss of Hader a lot less significant. When you get right down to it, Hader has not had much impact for the last month or so. He hasn’t been used that often and he hasn’t been that effective when he has pitched.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

I understand that nobody has an obligation to disclose whether or not they have been vaccinated. But, Hader declining to answer is going to lead people to make an assumption.

Exactly. I found it interesting that Counsell shared the vaccination status for Yelich, Strickland, and Cousins but not Hader. Yelich, Strickland, and Cousins are all vaccinated. I even read that Yelich had the J&J single shot. I just hope they all get mild cases without long term repercussions. And maybe those that are unvaccinated wise up....

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/mlb/brewers/2021/08/02/closer-josh-hader-tests-positive-and-goes-covid-19-injured-list/5461879001/

Is Hader vaccinated? Probably not…but as someone else pointed out he likely got infected via a vaccinated teammate so it seems rather pointless to get ones undies in a bunch over it.

True to an extent but the intensity of covid has been lesser for those who are vaccinated so hader could potentially be out longer. We I got it in the Fall (and I am in fairly good shape) I was out for almost 2 weeks.

Is Hader vaccinated? Probably not…but as someone else pointed out he likely got infected via a vaccinated teammate so it seems rather pointless to get ones undies in a bunch over it.

True to an extent but the intensity of covid has been lesser for those who are vaccinated so hader could potentially be out longer. We I got it in the Fall (and I am in fairly good shape) I was out for almost 2 weeks.

But at this point he has no symptoms (I believe that is what was inferred by Counsell) so seems early to get concerned with his recovery.

Where it makes a difference is the potential severity of the illness. Perhaps a young healthy guy like Hader is unlikely to get the bad outcomes, but it's significantly more likely than if he did get the shot.

A vaccine is considered effective if it prevents a person from getting sick not if it prevents infection. Most vaccinated people who are not feeling ill do not get tested unless their work requires it. Baseball requires frequent testing for both the vaccinated and unvaccinated. The Delta variant is widespread now and likely causing many more breakthrough cases than are reported which means natural herd immunity will develop rather quickly.

Great Britain felt the spike in cases from the Delta variant about 3-4 weeks before the U.S. In the last week new cases in the U.K. have dropped significantly. If that happens in the U.S., cases should start dropping again by mid to late August.

Obligatory reminder that this thread, as the Yelich thread was, is the place to discuss factual items related to the Hader situation and isn’t going to be a place for opinions regarding the virus, vaccines, etc. Mod tolerance of anything else will be nonexistent.

Thanks for keeping this thread on track.

But at this point he has no symptoms (I believe that is what was inferred by Counsell) so seems early to get concerned with his recovery.

Missed that. That is great news

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Just keep in mind that any time lost by a key pitcher now is a little less load management that we need to worry about in late September and October.

This belongs in the optimism thread!

:)

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

It’s just about the time of day when I get a tick whenever I get a notification on my iPad. I’m afraid it will be another announcement of a Brewer going on the COVID list.
Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

It’s just about the time of day when I get a tick whenever I get a notification on my iPad. I’m afraid it will be another announcement of a Brewer going on the COVID list.

Ask and ye shall receive (spoiler alert: it's Hiura to the COVID-IL).

Ask and ye shall receive (spoiler alert: it's Hiura to the COVID-IL).

I wonder if he tested positive or just had some symptoms and they’re playing games with the roster.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Hader reinstated, Milner optioned, Axford to 60-day, per Bally’s.

https://www.ballysports.com/wisconsin/news/milwaukee-brewers-josh-hader-injured-list

6-3 while their All-World closer was on the IL. I'll take it.

Dropped fly ball from 7 - 2 grrrrrrr :angry

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Interesting.

Hader and Lauer worked out together in Whitefish Bay: https://www.mlb.com/brewers/news/josh-hader-reinstated-from-covid-19-injured-list

Strickland and Cousins worked out at Strickland's ranch in GA. https://www.mlb.com/brewers/news/hunter-strickland-jake-cousins-covid-recovery

Yelich played guitar in his apartment.

Gustave was stuck in an Atlanta hotel room and couldn't work out.

And it sounds like Houser had it worse and will need more time.

Archived