Brewer Fanatic

Brewers acquire John Axford (Not a bump, this actually happened today) Latest- "Significant Structural Damage to Elbow"

Eye Black

They're literally just picking up arms to temporarily fill mop up innings while in crisis mode with guys going on the COVID list left and right. None of these guys are expected to be long term solutions (although who knows, RP can find grooves sometimes). I wouldn't worry too much if every guy isn't going to pitch like Hader while he's out.

With that said, it sucks for Axford that he got hurt so quickly. He actually looked better than I expected until that last batter when it was obvious something was physically wrong. A couple better calls and a little more luck with fouled off pitches and soft base hits and he very easily could have breezed through that inning.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Backfiring and not working out are two different things.

We will agree to disagree.

You’ve probably noticed that the Brewers have a major issue with a situation in the bullpen right now

Um, yeah, I have noticed, but thanks for pointing it out.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Apparently. You seem to think that this was entirely a publicity thing, which makes zero sense. When you strip away what makes zero sense, what's left is the truth- they acquired a guy that they thought might be able to help them.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

You’ve probably noticed that the Brewers have a major issue with a situation in the bullpen right now

Since they won the game, how did it backfire?

Man, that’s rough. I guess I’ll stay positive and he gets paid as a major leaguer for a bit longer as well as I’d assume gets the medical part covered.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Well, you could definitely argue that this ended even more poorly for Axford than it did for the Brewers....

How do? Now he gets a MLB check for a few months. Sounds good to me.

Not sure how it backfired. Gave up nothing, had nothing to lose, and his performance lost nothing.

Well, you could definitely argue that this ended even more poorly for Axford than it did for the Brewers....

Not sure how it backfired. Gave up nothing, had nothing to lose, and his performance lost nothing.

Yep. He's headed to the 60 day DL.

Likely ends his career. But hes gonna make big league money for the next 6-18 months.

Since they won the game, how did it backfire?

I would agree that the move flopped much more than backfired. The only possible damage it did for the Brewers on the field is that Axford’s failure to get out of the inning, and turning a 6-0 lead into a save situation, forced Counsell to bring in Boxberger to salvage the game. If Axford, or anyone else from the back end of the bullpen, had been able to finish that game without drama, Boxbereger would have been available last night and might have been able to help the Brewers avert that disaster.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

I don't disagree...but his performance did cost us the availability of Boxberger yesterday.....which may or may not have been the difference last night depending on how CC would have decided to use him.

My guess is Box would have had the 8th and Williams the 9th which would have saved Sanchez for the 10th.

Anyway it is what it is.....it couldn't have been foreseen.

Didn't use the word backfired, so I'm assuming you're responding to someone else on that point.

I'd think that blowing out your elbow and needing surgery/rehab wasn't the result Axford wanted, hence working out poorly for him. If you think he was purely in it to get an extra check, then you have a fair point.

Still a great story and happy(-ish) ending in my opinion that he managed to make it back to MLB and to Miller Park for one last inning. I'm guessing his career is probably over but it more or less already was.

Archived