Brewer Fanatic

Brewers acquire John Axford (Not a bump, this actually happened today) Latest- "Significant Structural Damage to Elbow"

Eye Black
Somewhere Jeremy Jeffress is shaking his fist.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Glad his old number was still available.

Still remember when Trevor was helping him through his early time.

And how the guy who's 4th on the all time saves list was his setup man (K-Rod).

Obviously if a 39 year old TV broadcaster is getting a gig before JJ, there is more to his abrupt dismissal from the Nationals and subsequent disinterest from all the other clubs, that the fans haven't been let in on yet.

Community Moderator

I mean...what??? Some of the coaches throwing BP in the home run derby looked like they were in better baseball shape than Ax. This is as close as we will ever get to the equivalent of an NHL team bringing in an equipment manager as an emergency goalie.

The only thing I can think of is that the entire bullpen got exposed to COVID and they don't want to burn options of their AAA guys. LOL.

I hope he proves me wrong and gets some outs before we send him back to Canada in a week or two.

So our AAA guys are worse than Axford? Can’t we just say next man up? Puzzling. Yet, if they believe he is better..

His (limited) numbers are indeed better than any of them. Kind of surprised Lindblom hasn't been in the picture with his fantastic AAA numbers, though they possibly view him as starting depth only. Luke Barker is also having a nice season and probably the next best choice.

Well, someone needs to pitch the 9th when we are up 9-0 over the next 3 days, I guess.
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Obviously if a 39 year old TV broadcaster is getting a gig before JJ, there is more to his abrupt dismissal from the Nationals and subsequent disinterest from all the other clubs, that the fans haven't been let in on yet.

Axford has been dominating AAA while Jeffress is at home Tweeting. I don't know why JJ isn't in some organization right now but Axford getting a shot over him is not surprising at all.

Hader did pitch yesterday so we did need a closer for tonight.

Well done, exactly what I was thinking (and only half in blue)

"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

The trade was for $1....nobody can ever say the Brewers are shy about taking on payroll via trade!

Love this move given the timing with with other relievers and players dealing with COVID protocols and facing the Pirates - see if Ax-man still has something and potentially pick up a late inning arm in exchange for nothing.

Why didn't Toronto bring him up? They traded for relief pitching at the deadline but never gave him a chance.

Probably because they would have needed to make a 40 man roster move to add him and they probably didn't want to risk losing someone already on it or burning an option

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'm BACK!!!!

wait.... wut

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Sounds like a lottery ticket who can prove himself, especially during the expanded rosters. Best case is you have a guy with great stuff with closing and postseason experience.

Not many closers have the power curveball he used to. I wonder if it's still pretty sharp. The modern philosophy of using 4-seamers at the top of the zone should suit him well.

This looks like a one-and-done deal for Axford. Fastball at 94-95, straight as a string and a very poor breaking ball. Certainly not bad for a 38 yr. old, but not MLB material.

The problem might be more that he hurt himself.

Archived