Brewer Fanatic

Brewers acquire John Axford (Not a bump, this actually happened today) Latest- "Significant Structural Damage to Elbow"

Eye Black
Sounds like a lottery ticket who can prove himself, especially during the expanded rosters. Best case is you have a guy with great stuff with closing and postseason experience.

My guess is he's just here to cover in a depth role for a week or so while we're short on guys who are out for COVID and then he'll be gone when they're back.

We shall see, though.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Had to check on 2011. Of course there is Counsell. Greinke is with Houston. Fiers is on the DL. Lucroy and Kintzler were DFA'd recently. I think that's it for guys who are still playing.

Axford back but not Braun. What an interesting season.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Sounds like a lottery ticket who can prove himself, especially during the expanded rosters. Best case is you have a guy with great stuff with closing and postseason experience.

My guess is he's just here to cover in a depth role for a week or so while we're short on guys who are out for COVID and then he'll be gone when they're back.

...and they must've been able to get him from Buffalo to Milwaukee for tonight's game.

I thought you couldn’t make anymore trades?

I knew trades could still be made after the "deadline" but wasn't sure exactly how. Brewers actually acquired Feyereisen after the 2019 deadline.

Can trade minor league players not on 40 man roster.

Why didn't Toronto bring him up? They traded for relief pitching at the deadline but never gave him a chance.

They’re not as smart as Stearns and co.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Why didn't Toronto bring him up? They traded for relief pitching at the deadline but never gave him a chance.

It makes you wonder to be honest. Like maybe they know something we don't. Whatever, this is super fun. He can start out as a mop up guy and go from there. Not a ton of risk in doing that.

The Axeman cometh. I don't know if that's good. A big mix of crazy and wow and huh and really.

It does remind me of a type of move a bad Brewers team would make but Stearns has never really dealt with Axford so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

The Blue Jays have stockpiled a number of relievers and didn’t have a spot in the big leagues for Axford, so he began exploring opportunities and found one with the Brewers, who just placed three relievers on the COVID-19 injured list in recent days and were in need of a right-handed arm. Given the restrictions in acquisitions following the Trade Deadline, it led them to Axford.

https://www.mlb.com/brewers/news/john-axford-acquired-from-blue-jays

One of my all-time favorite Brewers pitchers!

I'm not expecting miracles, but it doesn't seem that crazy if he is actually hitting 98 mph with success in the minor leagues. His last season (2018) he was still serviceable. Lost 2019 with an injury and then Covid happened, but it is less crazy than Scott Kazimir making it back to the majors for example.

Planning to enjoy the nostalgia of seeing him pitch this week (or however long it lasts) with the expectation that he will be unceremoniously sent down as soon as other guys return. Anything more than that will just be gravy.

The thing that I find interesting is i'm sure the Brewers have told him that this could very easily be only a week or 2 until Cousins and Strickland return.....yet he still jumped on a plane and wanted to try.

Two weeks to show you have just as good of stuff and can stick in the pen. It’s better than sitting in AAA and possibly never getting the opportunity.

The thing that I find interesting is i'm sure the Brewers have told him that this could very easily be only a week or 2 until Cousins and Strickland return.....yet he still jumped on a plane and wanted to try.

Two weeks to show you have just as good of stuff and can stick in the pen. It’s better than sitting in AAA and possibly never getting the opportunity.

Right. Let's just say he makes 3 scoreless appearances hitting 98 over the next week. It might be tough to punt him away for Gustave or someone else that can be sent to the minors.

Hader did pitch yesterday so we did need a closer for tonight.

Archived