Brewer Fanatic

Javier Báez Traded to Mets

Eye Black
Community Moderator

From Jeff Passan…

BREAKING: The New York Mets are finalizing a trade to acquire shortstop Javier Baez from the Chicago Cubs, sources tell ESPN. Deal is pending medicals.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Community Moderator
Looks like we will be seeing Baez in the playoffs. Don't really like seeing the Mets get better.

Javier Baez career line against the Brewers: 107 games played, .222 BA, .286 OBP, .350 SLG, .636 OPS, and 118 strikeout in 343 at bats

It seems like Brewers may have a pretty good game plan for neutralizing Baez offensively.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Looks like we will be seeing Baez in the playoffs. Don't really like seeing the Mets get better.

The Crew has the book on Baez. This move is not concerning.

In fact, I’m excited at the possibility of a NYM, LAD, CHW path to a title. That’d be a sweet outcome.

All I can think of right now is the Arrested Development meme "We're having a FIRE!....sale" and how it applies to the Cubbies.

I almost regret that we won't get to play against him as much. Seems he never does anything against the Brewers.

Cubs get Pete Crow-Armstrong from the Mets which is a pretty good get for them.

Talented young OF prospect (19th overall pick in the 2020 draft), albeit one recovering from torn labrum surgery earlier this year. Definitely a farm system jolt type of player, but a few years away from potentially becoming a big leaguer.

Sadly, the Cubs are doing it right and are tearing it all down. I expect them to be competitive in 2 to 3 years.

Its a bummer as I was hoping they would go for it all and end up in a bad situation like the D'backs.

What's actually sad for Cub fans is the fact their organization was managed to the point of requiring an epic teardown in order to try and get competitive again a few years down the road...for a huge market team that really doesn't have a financial equal in its own division it's a black eye on the Theo regime.

Sadly, the Cubs are doing it right and are tearing it all down. I expect them to be competitive in 2 to 3 years.

Its a bummer as I was hoping they would go for it all and end up in a bad situation like the D'backs.

What's actually sad for Cub fans is the fact their organization was managed to the point of requiring an epic teardown in order to try and get competitive again a few years down the road...for a huge market team that really doesn't have a financial equal in its own division it's a black eye on the Theo regime.

It's pretty much exactly what Theo did in Boston, except there he was able to get the second WS win, while in Chicago he just traded away the future for some playoff appearances. Then he got out of town and left a mess for the next guy.

There are a lot of informed Cub fans, but there are a lot more uninformed ones, and they're going to be very vocal if the Cubs are really bad next year. I can't imagine Hoyer keeps his job for more than a couple of years, even though he was put in a no-win situation and actually got some good talent from these trades.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

The loan payments on all the Rickets owned properties in Wrigleyville don’t pay themselves. This tear down might not have been necessary had COVID not wrecked the last two years.

There will still be a lot of beer sold in and around Wrigley on game days, even when the team isn't winning.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

The loan payments on all the Rickets owned properties in Wrigleyville don’t pay themselves. This tear down might not have been necessary had COVID not wrecked the last two years.

Trust me I get that, too....they've thrown a TON of money at Wrigley renos and property development and I'm sure it helped trigger this, starting with dealing Darvish in the offseason for a pile of teenage lottery tickets from the Padres....that being said, if their front office was as smart as they all thought they were the organization in general would've had more talent in the pipeline now and made better free agency/trade decisions over the past 3-4 seasons.

Trust me I get that, too....they've thrown a TON of money at Wrigley renos and property development and I'm sure it helped trigger this, starting with dealing Darvish in the offseason for a pile of teenage lottery tickets from the Padres....that being said, if their front office was as smart as they all thought they were the organization in general would've had more talent in the pipeline now and made better free agency/trade decisions over the past 3-4 seasons.

Two big things occured:

They signed Heyward and he immediately stopped hitting. He still has two years left.

They never replaced Zorbrist's production even though given his age they had to plan for him to be gone.

Community Moderator

Honestly Báez seems like a perfect fit for the Mets. I can't wait to see the NY Post headlines after his first kerfuffle in a Mets jersey.

The Ricketts are well on their way to extracting every last penny from the Cubs' fanbase. I don't expect them to ever be in the top-tier of MLB payrolls again as long as the Ricketts are in charge.

I also love that the Brewers contributed to ruining the Cubs' dynasty more than anyone else. Smirking Craig Counsell in particular.

Archived