Brewer Fanatic

Brewers acquire Daniel Norris from Tigers

homer

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

While I don't necessarily disagree with the premise that both of our new acquisitions were being put into situations that they weren't expected to be used in, they are also professional relievers and whatever the number You see before the inning they are pitching in is, they should be expected to be able to get outs. It's not like either of them was being asked to close.

I will say that Curtiss for sure had a heavy workload placed on him his first week here, although I don't know if that had anything to do with his injury, perhaps just his performance.

I know there's a human element to it. I know there's more to performance than just going out there and doing the same thing night after night, but whether you're pitching in the 6th inning or the 7th planning, you got to be able to get outs.

Giving these guys a bit of a free pass because we are putting artificial limitations on when they should be expected to perform such as, what inning it is, I think is just being a little generous.

I mean, Jake Cousins is being used as a setup man on days when Williams can't, and he's getting it done.

With Norris and Curtiss, I don’t think the usage issue is related to the inning they pitched. I think it had more to do with not being allowed to be used for the matchups and workload the team would have preferred.

Exactly my opinion as well. Curtiss pitched in something crazy like 5 of 7 games after being acquired, including fresh off the plane. Zero chance to work with the catchers in advance to get them used to movement, style, etc. Add in less rest than ideal or being asked to face more RHB than they'd probably have preferred Norris to, and they were setup for initial failure, IMO.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I did like Olson, but nothing really changed with him since the trade. That article is a little overly bubbly.

I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.