Brewer Fanatic

Scherzer & Turner to the Dodgers for prospects

torts
Sherzy waived his no trade, bunch of prospects none named lux.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'm not sure if this is official yet. I know there's a lot of activity going on and things are changing by the minute but just as a general request, let's make sure that these are absolutely locked down as official before we start posting these in the MLB forum. Thanks guys. I'll leave this open unless something changes because it sounds like it's a done deal. Like I said though, let's make sure these are locked and signed and sealed and delivered before we move them to the MLB forum going forward

Full return for #Nationals Max Scherzer-Trea Turner deal with Dodgers is catcher Keibert Ruiz, RHPs Josiah Gray and Gerardo Carrillo, and OF Donovan Casey, source confirms

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

That should have been the return for a year and a half of Trea Turner alone. So they paid for Trea Turner and got Max Scherzer as a throw-in, basically.

Just wrong.

Can you imagine being a padres fan right now?

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

That should have been the return for a year and a half of Trea Turner alone. So they paid for Trea Turner and got Max Scherzer as a throw-in, basically.

Just wrong.

+1. I personally would have traded these two separately. Moreover, no rush to trade Turner now. Could've made that move in the offseason.

Nonethelss, Dodgers lose Cy Young Bauer, acquire Scherzer. Very discouraging.

I think the deal was all right for the Nationals. Extraordinary? No. But solid.

They get two very highly rated players who are pretty much ready to contribute now - which is important for a team with a lack of upper tier prospects.

Scherzer - with his no trade protection - could limit where he was going - so that probably hurt his value somewhat. And he couldn't be given a qualifying offer - so keeping him got you nothing.

As for Turner and waiting until the offseason to deal it - they certainly could have done that. But there are a bunch of quality shortstops available in free agency (Seager, Correa, Story, Javier Baez, Marcus Semien) - which may have limited interest.

Interesting wrinkle I hadn't realized until just now, Josiah Gray was originally a 2nd round pick of the Reds in 2018.

That winter Cincinnati traded him to the Dodgers along with Jeter Downs (later part of the Mookie Betts deal) and Homer Bailey in exchange for Matt Kemp, Yasiel Puig, Alex Wood, Kyle Farmer and cash.

I think it's safe to say the Dodgers won that one.

Sounds like Dodgers are taking on the salary and penalty for already in luxury tax. Good for them. Corner the baseball market. Scherzer, Darvish, Kershaw, Walker, and Bauer. This will be such a David vs Goliath NLCS when we take them down like Bucks over the Nets and go on to win the WS.

Darvish is a Padre, just for the record.

Blah. Thats how much both LA and SD have done taking all the big names and forgot.

Btw checked Bref on LA roster, Nelson and Bickford are studs currently out of the bullpen. Great to see Jimmy having a stellar season for MLB.

Just wrong.

+1. I personally would have traded these two separately. Moreover, no rush to trade Turner now. Could've made that move in the offseason.

Nonethelss, Dodgers lose Cy Young Bauer, acquire Scherzer. Very discouraging.

Especially discouraging knowing if the Brewers signed a Bauer, a guy with character issues (even to a one year deal), we'd actually have been punished for it. The Dodgers just go get another ace from their endless pool of prospects, which they can also deal at will since they can buy any proven player they want.

Also interested in what makes this move so good for the Nats. The Padres offer for just Scherzer plus trading Turner separately seems like it could have netted more. Though I'll again call this a buyer's market since I haven't been floored at the price of any trades.

Especially discouraging knowing if the Brewers signed a Bauer, a guy with character issues (even to a one year deal), we'd actually have been punished for it. The Dodgers just go get another ace from their endless pool of prospects, which they can also deal at will since they can buy any proven player they want.

Also interested in what makes this move so good for the Nats. The Padres offer for just Scherzer plus trading Turner separately seems like it could have netted more. Though I'll again call this a buyer's market since I haven't been floored at the price of any trades.

The very best decision the Dodgers GM made was decide "we are going to use our resources to be the very best team at talent development". Before the Dodgers, the big markets weren't really considerably better if better at all at developing talent than plenty of small markets. I'd argue the mid-market Cardinals were probably one of the top teams at developing players up until maybe 5 years ago. The Dodgers pipeline is so insane, they can trade 2-3 top prospects every deadline and a couple more pop up the next year. And generally they are smart enough at identifying talent to keep the very best players and add them to their loaded roster(Bellinger, Seager, Smith, Lux, Buehler, Urias, May) while trading the guys they don't think will establish in the end. It's honestly a bit disheartening because as long as the pipeline keeps going, along with having more money than Bezos, there's really no reason the Dodgers shouldn't always be one of the very best teams in baseball.

The very best decision the Dodgers GM made was decide "we are going to use our resources to be the very best team at talent development". Before the Dodgers, the big markets weren't really considerably better if better at all at developing talent than plenty of small markets. I'd argue the mid-market Cardinals were probably one of the top teams at developing players up until maybe 5 years ago. The Dodgers pipeline is so insane, they can trade 2-3 top prospects every deadline and a couple more pop up the next year. And generally they are smart enough at identifying talent to keep the very best players and add them to their loaded roster(Bellinger, Seager, Smith, Lux, Buehler, Urias, May) while trading the guys they don't think will establish in the end. It's honestly a bit disheartening because as long as the pipeline keeps going, along with having more money than Bezos, there's really no reason the Dodgers shouldn't always be one of the very best teams in baseball.

Great post. Baseball America wrote about this last year:

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/theyre-the-model-how-the-dodgers-player-development-machine-rolls-on/

To them it's a lot more than acquiring talent. It's spending money to find that talent and then making sure they are treated like Olympic level athletes once they are part of your organization.

As for recognizing talent, it looks like the Brewers may be borrowing a bit from their philosophy on offense: power comes last.

"On both the pro and amateur sides, through both traditional scouting and analytics-based methods, the Dodgers aggressively seek athletic, versatile players who hit for average and have strong plate discipline, believing they can teach those players to add power with swing tweaks if the contact skills and at-bat quality are already present."

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Community Moderator
One thing that’s mildly ironic is Trea Turner was involved in A.J. Preller’s first trade as Padres GM in December of 2014. Preller came in making a whirlwind of trades, and in the case of Turner he had to be a PTBNL because he had just been drafted in the 1st round (13th overall) in that previous June’s MLB Draft. Obviously Turner now in the midst of a career year will be playing for the Padres biggest rival.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Think today is the day Dodgers jump to my disliked/hated categoroy with Cards, Sox, Yanks, Cubs. Never really had any beef with them and their players other than machado. They've just run everything so well and didn't get a title until last year so I felt they deserved one. Now they have one, and do this on top of their already loaded team.

Baseball really does have to address the disparitie.s

good post above on their development, spot on.

The sun rises in the East

The sun sets in the West

Large market teams are the Have's in MLB

Small market teams are the Have Not's in MLB

Tell me something new...

Won't change so no point getting worked up about it. The owners are screened carefully for any backbones before they can purchase.

My concern isn't that MLB won't ever change, it's that the other major sports leagues become like MLB...

I dont get why people are upset with this trade. Dodgers gave up two top 50 guys plus others. Max had a no trade clause so he was only going to one of the west coast teams and still knowing that the Nats were able to get them to over bid for 2 months of Max. Yes they got Turner for 1 year and 2 months but if they would have held him to the off season no way they get that type of return for a SS in the last year of his contract making 20m. Figure half the league cant afford him or has a SS and others aren't going to trade for 1 year of a guy they cant resign. Lindor didn't get 2 top 50 prospects and he was younger and just as good.

No one on this board would trade Mitchel in the off season for 1 year of Turner and The dodgers gave up two guys better then mitchel for 1 year and 2 months of him.

Any team in our league can draft and develop players. The Dodgers just do it so much better then other teams that has nothing to do with them being a big market. The Rays are small and always have a great farm system too.

Any team could have gotten Muncy or Turner when they were cut from the As or Pirates. The dodgers just did a better job seeing talent and making something of it.

Great post. Baseball America wrote about this last year:

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/theyre-the-model-how-the-dodgers-player-development-machine-rolls-on/

To them it's a lot more than acquiring talent. It's spending money to find that talent and then making sure they are treated like Olympic level athletes once they are part of your organization.

As for recognizing talent, it looks like the Brewers may be borrowing a bit from their philosophy on offense: power comes last.

"On both the pro and amateur sides, through both traditional scouting and analytics-based methods, the Dodgers aggressively seek athletic, versatile players who hit for average and have strong plate discipline, believing they can teach those players to add power with swing tweaks if the contact skills and at-bat quality are already present."

It's a lot easier to fill your minor leagues with talent when you don't have to rush them through the system because you can buy as many top shelf free agents as you want instead.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Archived