Brewer Fanatic

Brad Hand to the Jays

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The return here should offer some idea on the price for relief pitching. I kinda expect Stearns to be patient and go after a guy or two he likes that aren't in the mainstream.

Riley Adams, a 25-year-old catcher who is the Jays' #17 prospect according to MLB Pipeline, is the return.

The return here should offer some idea on the price for relief pitching. I kinda expect Stearns to be patient and go after a guy or two he likes that aren't in the mainstream.

Riley Adams, a 25-year-old catcher who is the Jays' #17 prospect according to MLB Pipeline, is the return.

Reading his scouting report sounds kinda like Payton Henry.

First comparison point I thought of as well. I'm not sure I would have wanted to lose Henry to get a rental on Hand if a similar offer was being discussed.

That said, I'm not blown away by any of these trades from the buy side so far.

I get the vibe he's a solid defender behind the plate, which if accurate makes his big league potential significantly higher as a backup catcher.

fwiw, Hand has his highest Fip of 4.33 since his age 22 season and a 3.59ERA this season. For a rental RP on a meh year this is probably a lights out return imo. Especially considering that WAS has catchers that are all but gone after this year. With that point maybe in next 30 ish hours and the kid could play immediately to finish out the season

With as much as Hand makes, and how average his season has been, it shouldn't have taken that much to acquire him. I think Washington did okay.

He isn't going to be in the same class of prospect required to get someone cheap and decent. Bonus for years of control. So someone like Paul Fry we still don't know what the bar is.

How much weight does contract have in value of prospect? Since hand is paid pretty well, do they get a lesser prospect?

It can be a big deal to teams on a tighter budget. Depends if one side of the trade is dying to dump the money or the acquiring team is scared to add a bunch of payroll. It is probably a worse situation with limited suitors. If a bunch of teams are interested usually one won't really care about the financials.

• 1 month later...
Hand didn’t last long…….didn’t some people here think Hand was comparable to Hader not too long ago?

Well if he was……he sure didn’t keep up.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/08/blue-jays-designate-brad-hand-for-assignment.html

There were a ton of rationalizations that Hader had minimal value that just would not fly in the Brewer front office.

Yea they're not gonna grab him now and pick up that money. But I'd guess he'd be a prime guy for league min that MKE would look at and think they can fix, and I'd have faith they would. I'd guess San Diego might think the same with their history with him. Who knows, maybe someone else will pay above that even after the bad year.

Archived