Brewer Fanatic

valuable trade chips

Just trying to think of what we could piece together for trades. I'd hate to trade Taylor, but I also see him as blocked for playing time in the short-term and being chased by Mitchell and Frelick in the long-run. I'd hate to part with our lefty pitching depth, but Ashby could be the basis of the return for a strong player.

For big trade only:

Turang

Ashby

Taylor

Hiura

Lauer

Houser

Feliciano

Gray

Smaller trade:

File

Torres-Costa

Just trying to think of what we could piece together for trades. I'd hate to trade Taylor, but I also see him as blocked for playing time in the short-term and being chased by Mitchell and Frelick in the long-run. I'd hate to part with our lefty pitching depth, but Ashby could be the basis of the return for a strong player.

For big trade only:

Turang

Ashby

Taylor

Hiura

Lauer

Houser

Feliciano

Gray

Smaller trade:

File

Torres-Costa

It seems this list is fairly subjective. Take Hiura for example, he’s been one of the worst hitters in MLB this year, and a complete flop overall since his rookie season. With legitimate questions if he can hit major league pitching he’s not going to have much value.

Joe Gray is in High A, he’s years away from the major leagues which will limit his value.

Torres-Costa is going to be 27 years old and a few months from being a 6 year minor league free agent. I suppose he could be a throw in and get a cup of coffee in the major leagues this year, but his value is nil.

After having no starting pitching depth for over a generation I don’t think the front office would be keen to dismantle it to plug other holes on the roster. If the Brewers could get Josh Donaldson and have Minnesota pick up significant cash, then it might be worth considering moving one of Lauer or Houser, but even then it doesn’t make a ton of sense for Minnesota

Community Moderator

This might not be exact spirit of the question, but some of the most likely to get moved are prospects that currently have Rule 5 eligibility:

Payton Henry

Antonio Pinero

Thomas Jankins

Zack Brown

Gabriel Garcia

Lucas Erceg

Braden Webb

Pablo Abreu

In addition to those Rule 5 eligible players, I believe these players will also be Rule 5 eligible if not added to the 40-man roster this offseason (feel free to correct me if any of these are incorrect):

Reese Olson

Tristen Lutz

Korry Howell

Noah Zavolas

Carlos Rodriguez

Je’Von Ward

Max Lazar

Victor Castaneda

Caden Lemons (Injured)

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Mitchell is the only guy I would probably not trade under just about an circumstance. The rest, all depends on the player we are getting. Of course, what is a big trade? And does the list change based on a big rental trade or a big controllable player trade?

You guys did great with my vague late night post. My thought was—after reading the Turang thread— to think about what it would take to part with him. I also wanted to think about our other highly marketable assets. Too often our fans will say we gave up on someone when in actuality we traded a valuable asset that other teams desired. I don’t want to trade Mitchell or Small. I’d rather not trade Turang (lefty bat, OBP skills, defense, premium position). I wonder if teams are as interested in Taylor as I am right now. He plays good defense, hustles, and seems to spray hard hit balls all over the field without excessive launch angle. I would think a rebuilding club would salivate over him. With Lauer, he’s a lefty with decent velocity but no premier outpitch. He could be a valuable trade chip as well.

Just my opinion but I think our MiLB pitching depth is pretty awful past Ashby/Small. So I don’t want to trade pitchers in general. We have a lot of position players though who could be traded. Either Turang headlining a bigger trade or some combination of top 20 guys for lesser trades probably to bolster bullpen.

There are a few players on the market who I would give anyone for though.

I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

Less than 30 minutes left, and prices are looking absolutely bonkers. What if San Diego calls and whips out the carte blanche for Hader? I mean, you can’t deal Hader now under any circumstances if you’re Stearns, but with the going rate for relievers today…

Less than 30 minutes left, and prices are looking absolutely bonkers. What if San Diego calls and whips out the carte blanche for Hader? I mean, you can’t deal Hader now under any circumstances if you’re Stearns, but with the going rate for relievers today…

That would be amazing. I would be open to it. As long as there is another couple trades on the horizon as a domino effect to bring in quality bullpen arms, I would do it.

• 2 weeks later...
Brew4U mentioned in the major league forum that he wished the Brewers had Escobar on a Wong type deal. I do wonder if the Brewers would consider trading Wong in order to relieve some salary to use at 3B for Escobar or somebody else and playing Urias at 2b which is probably his best position and where he is most valuable. With the way Urias is playing he also has significant trade value at this point.

I really don't have any interest in trading Wong. Everyone is available for the right price but he is just a great fit for this team in everything he does, and he's controlled for 2 more years at a reasonable cost.

We finally have a solidified infield for the next couple years and after watching us trot out guys like Arcia and Shaw and Robertson for the longest time it's certainly welcome. It would take one of those offers you just can't refuse to move either of Wong or Urias.

I've accepted that Escobar probably won't be back, but if we can keep him, great. Keep them all. As we saw in April and May your depth can go south in a hurry, they'll find ABs for all of them.

Brew4U mentioned in the major league forum that he wished the Brewers had Escobar on a Wong type deal. I do wonder if the Brewers would consider trading Wong in order to relieve some salary to use at 3B for Escobar or somebody else and playing Urias at 2b which is probably his best position and where he is most valuable. With the way Urias is playing he also has significant trade value at this point.

Wong is one of the most valuable players in baseball at his contract. Why on earth would we trade him. Escobar is a nice piece but you don’t trade away a better player that’s controllable for a lesser player.

Wong is one of the most valuable players in baseball at his contract.

Look, I'm all about keeping Wong but why do we have to say things that are obviously total embellishments to make our points?

Wong is one of the most valuable players in baseball at his contract.

Look, I'm all about keeping Wong but why do we have to say things that are obviously total embellishments to make our points?

What is the embellishment? Find a better 2nd baseman anywhere near his contract. Tremendous glove, hitting for good pop and average. I just don’t understand what you’d be accomplishing here. This team won a lot of games with Wong as the 2nd baseman in the lead off hole and it will be fine without Escobar.

Lol what? Albies? Semien? India? (Albies' contract alone blows Wong out of the water as far as best 2B values go)

And you didn't say one of the best 2B at his contract, you said "one of the most valuable players in baseball at his contract",which yes, is a total embellishment.

More valuable players for their contract just on Wong's own team: Adames, Urias, Narvaez, Woodruff, Burnes, Peralta

Again I'm not suggesting we trade Wong. I wouldn't either. Just challenging your statement on him.

Lol what? Albies? Semien? India? (Albies' contract alone blows Wong out of the water as far as best 2B values go)

And you didn't say one of the best 2B at his contract, you said "one of the most valuable players in baseball at his contract",which yes, is a total embellishment.

More valuable players for their contract just on Wong's own team: Adames, Urias, Narvaez, Woodruff, Burnes, Peralta

Again I'm not suggesting we trade Wong. I wouldn't either. Just challenging your statement on him.

I meant 2nd base and that doesn’t dispute the facts. he’s been extremely productive at the lead off spot giving you gold glove defense. Making less than 10 million per year. Which is something Semien sure isn’t doing. Yes I’d love Semien but he hardly fits into our payroll making almost 20 million. Albies signed an extension and is actually a very comparable player to Wong. Both with wRC+ around 115 and Wong has the superior glove. India is a rookie performing well, but not too long so was Hiura. Guys will adjust to him. My point, your the only person I’ve seen suggest trading Wong or saying the team should think about. Whatever round about way you suggested it. It makes zero sense.

My point, your the only person I’ve seen suggest trading Wong or saying the team should think about. Whatever round about way you suggested it. It makes zero sense.

Its hard to take your point seriously when you quite obviously haven't really been reading my responses very thoroughly or you are just completely strawmanning your way through this conversation. How many more different ways can I say "I don't want to trade Kolten Wong at all, I just disagree that he's one of the most valuable players for the money in baseball."?

Literal word for word quotes from me in this thread:

"I really don't have any interest in trading Wong"

"He is just a great fit for this team"

"I'm all about keeping Wong"

"I'm not suggesting we trade Wong"

My point, your the only person I’ve seen suggest trading Wong or saying the team should think about. Whatever round about way you suggested it. It makes zero sense.

Its hard to take your point seriously when you quite obviously haven't really been reading my responses very thoroughly or you are just completely strawmanning your way through this conversation. How many more different ways can I say "I don't want to trade Kolten Wong at all, I just disagree that he's one of the most valuable players for the money in baseball."?

Literal word for word quotes from me in this thread:

"I really don't have any interest in trading Wong"

"He is just a great fit for this team"

"I'm all about keeping Wong"

"I'm not suggesting we trade Wong"

I actually mixed up your original post and outlanders so my apologies for that. Again, I’ve stated multiple times I meant 2nd base and you continue to hammer that best value in baseball rhetoric. Strictly for 2nd baseman, he’s among the best value in baseball. Again, apologies for the original post mixup. Usually on my laptop but on the mobile today and aging eyes combined with smaller screen….

That's fine. If you misspoke you misspoke. If you are saying he's one of the most valuable 2B for the money that's an entirely different argument and not one that I would take exception to. I continued to reply because you questioned numerous times why I would want to trade Wong when I clearly didn't.

Wong is great. I'm glad we have him. The 3rd year option is nice too. I want him back. I want Escobar back too, if possible.

Archived