Brewer Fanatic

Adam Frazier Traded to Padres (11/22 Update Dealt to Mariners)

Eye Black

Community Moderator

Per Jeff Passan:

The San Diego Padres are acquiring second baseman/outfielder Adam Frazier from the Pittsburgh Pirates, sources tell ESPN.

Frazier, 29, leads baseball in hits this year and is not a free agent until after the 2022 season. One of the best bats on the trade market.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Community Moderator

Three players are reportedly going back to the Pirates according to Robert Murray.

Well at least now Frazier won’t terrorize the Brewers next week, but I guess the playoffs could be a different story.

Community Moderator

According to Dennis Lin:

The Padres plan to use Adam Frazier in a super-utility role. He has mostly played second base but also has experience at all three outfield positions.

From Ken Rosenthal:

Mariners also made offer for Adam Frazier and did not ask Pirates to put cash in deal, sources tell The Athletic. Pirates sent $1.4M to Padres in part because they value Marcano highly. If he evolves into Frazier type, Pirates get six years of him for 1-plus of Frazier.

Fangraphs had Marcano at #11 and a FV 40 keeping in mind Fangraphs tends to score low. Basically don't believe he can stick defensively at short and doesn't believe a power spike is coming so he likely ends up as a utility player.

Fangraphs had Marcano at #11 and a FV 40 keeping in mind Fangraphs tends to score low. Basically don't believe he can stick defensively at short and doesn't believe a power spike is coming so he likely ends up as a utility player.

So Pittsburgh got a Josh Harrison.

I am surprised to see them send the equivalent of what? A 40ish? Draft pick salary Frazier and get only Marcano as headline. I suppose Michell has some outstanding Ks going on this season and may be groomed as a late inning stud.

Still, you sent money what has to his salary for rest of season for 3 guys having solid (not great) years in minors? Plus Frazier has another year of control?

Their has to be more. A ptbnl? Or isn't SD a competitive draft lottery team? That future pick. This is a bad trade considering Frazier has to be at his highest value in trade with added year of control, and this feels sorta like a dump big contract trade.

I am surprised to see them send the equivalent of what? A 40ish? Draft pick salary Frazier and get only Marcano as headline. I suppose Michell has some outstanding Ks going on this season and may be groomed as a late inning stud.

Still, you sent money what has to his salary for rest of season for 3 guys having solid (not great) years in minors? Plus Frazier has another year of control?

Their has to be more. A ptbnl? Or isn't SD a competitive draft lottery team? That future pick. This is a bad trade considering Frazier has to be at his highest value in trade with added year of control, and this feels sorta like a dump big contract trade.

It's had to believe because I think Frazier was only making aroung $4M and the rumors are that they kicked in money to the Padres! It seems like a trade that will keep the Pirates firmly entrenched at the bottom of the standings.

It's had to believe because I think Frazier was only making aroung $4M and the rumors are that they kicked in money to the Padres! It seems like a trade that will keep the Pirates firmly entrenched at the bottom of the standings.

Yeah, not knowing anything about the prospects, it seems like the Pirates got the lesser of the deal and the salt in the wound of sending money to the Padres. Are the Padres up against the luxury tax or something?

If the prospects were equivalent to Turang, and two prospects at least slightly better than lottery ticket status, then I would say the Pirates probably did ok.

Edited by Roderick

With Frazier you're getting 1+ years of a pretty average career player who is having what is most likely an unsustainably great season. I think the expectations for what his trade value should have been are being considerably overestimated.

With Frazier you're getting 1+ years of a pretty average career player who is having what is most likely an unsustainably great season. I think the expectations for what his trade value should have been are being considerably overestimated.

I think it also goes along with the notion that position player trades at the trade deadline during the regular season often don't appear to be for nearly the prospect price tag as pitching trades do.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I think you are selling Marcano short a bit as a prospect, too. Ranking #5 in the Padres' stacked system is no small feat. Marcano would likely be #1 or #2 in the Brewers' system (ahead of Turang). He's legit.

I think you are selling Marcano short a bit as a prospect, too. Ranking #5 in the Padres' stacked system is no small feat. Marcano would likely be #1 or #2 in the Brewers' system (ahead of Turang). He's legit.

Plus, he's already been in the major leagues; no small thing as the trend lately is to trade minor leaguers who are years away from playing in the major leagues.

With Tatis, Machado, and Cronenworth all either locked up or controllable for quite a few years, the Padres have people to hold down the infield for a while. This is one where Marcano's value is probably a lot higher for most other teams than it is for the Padres.