Brewer Fanatic

Trade Deadline Rumors

Starting to get a bit nervous...If Giants get Bryant, Pads already acquired Frazier, you know Dodgers will do something...again, you should never make moves because of what the competition is doing, but you must be mindful of it, I think.

Jon Morosi

@jonmorosi

·

52s

Sources: The #SFGiants have spoken with the #Cubs about Kris Bryant, and the Cubs are evaluating 24-year-old catcher Joey Bart as one candidate to be requested on their side of the talks. Bart has a .904 OPS this year at Triple-A.

@MLB

@MLBNetwork

If Joey Bart is a realistic expectation for a 2 month rental of Kris Bryant, this is a big time seller's market.

Follow up tweet:

Jon Morosi

@jonmorosi

·

7m

Replying to

@jonmorosi

Bart, the former No. 2 overall pick, likely would be available only in a deal that involves players in addition to Bryant, a free agent after this year. Bryant would have great value to the Giants, with whom he could play 1B, 3B, and LF.

@MLBNetwork

@MLB

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I can absolutely guarantee you this much...if i ran this ball club, the trade deadline every year would be VERY exciting. I'd show everyone I'm not messing around. On top of that, I'd continue to win and NOT empty the farm. Plus, I'd be active in free agency and not do my shopping at walmart every offseason.

I think this was Dave Stewart's line that landed him the Diamondback's GM job back in the day.

I can absolutely guarantee you this much...if i ran this ball club, the trade deadline every year would be VERY exciting. I'd show everyone I'm not messing around. On top of that, I'd continue to win and NOT empty the farm. Plus, I'd be active in free agency and not do my shopping at walmart every offseason.

The power has been out at my house for the last 36 hours following Monday evening's storms. Family life has been a little rough as a result. I so needed the huge belly laugh that you have provided this morning. Thank you! :laughing

The title of the thread is "trade deadline rumors". This is the place to post rumors and not wishlists without specifics. Thanks.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

According to Heyman:

Continue to hear it’s a real buyers market for position players. Lots of stars on market: Bryant, Story, Baez, Rizzo, Turner, Buxton, Marte, Escobar, Gallo, Peralta etc. Hearing of many offers of “B” level prospects for established “A” names. Contenders are focused on pitching.

If he's correct it won't be too cost prohibitive to acquire a bat or 2 to lengthen the bench/pair up with Rowdy at 1st.

According to JP Morosi, Scherzer trade talk is intensifying with good chance to be finalized by tonight

Sources: Max Scherzer trade talks have continued to intensify, and those close to the conversations believe a deal could be reached by late tonight. The Giants, Dodgers, and Padres are among the top suitors, but other clubs are involved.

@MLBNetwork

@MLB

According to Heyman:
Continue to hear it’s a real buyers market for position players. Lots of stars on market: Bryant, Story, Baez, Rizzo, Turner, Buxton, Marte, Escobar, Gallo, Peralta etc. Hearing of many offers of “B” level prospects for established “A” names. Contenders are focused on pitching.

If he's correct it won't be too cost prohibitive to acquire a bat or 2 to lengthen the bench/pair up with Rowdy at 1st.

My goodness do I want to acquire Gallo. Positional flexibility, great defense, and not a rental. Add in his lack of LH/RH split differences and power, and he’s the bat I want. Him and Rowdy at 1st, with Gallo rotating into the OF when Rowdy plays first.

Funny an expert/source would call it a buyers market when most Brewers fans think it is a sellers market. I suppose that is always the outlook for fans. When we are selling its a buyers market and when buying it is always a sellers market.

I don’t think anyone really knows until it’s over.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Gallo is the man this team needs imo. He is a perfect fit given the need the ball park etc. Rowdy coming to life is a huge positive but with Yelich being out now with covid and no real reason to expect that to make him any better performance wise the need is acute. Gallo could play first along with the outfield and maybe even some third. Taylor might have to go in the deal as he has raised his value. Maybe Taylor Hiura and a pitching prospect like Ashby??

Not a rumor, but lets make it one because I really like it. If this happened, we could also use Mitchell as a trade chip to unload one of Cain/JBJ and pick up a corner IF. I would even bump up our end to make this happen.

https://www.mlb.com/news/unlikely-mlb-trade-deadline-ideas-2021

Brewers get: OF Bryan Reynolds, RHP Richard Rodríguez

Pirates get: INF Brice Turang (MLB's No. 74 prospect), LHP Aaron Ashby (Brewers' No. 7 prospect), OF Tristen Lutz (Brewers' No. 12 prospect)

Why it should happen: The Brewers rank 10th in the National League in center field OPS thanks to underwhelming seasons from Jackie Bradley Jr. and Lorenzo Cain, each of whom is signed through 2022. Reynolds would be an upgrade for the Brewers, who have a pitching staff capable of a deep postseason run but would benefit from a boost to the lineup. The 2021 All-Star entered Monday slashing .312/.394/.528, and he is not set to reach free agency until after the '25 season.

Turang is expendable given the presence of Willy Adames and Kolten Wong (not to mention Keston Hiura), giving Milwaukee a prime trade chip to deal. Ashby and Lutz would also give the Pirates two players close to being ready for the Majors, while Rodríguez would make a solid Milwaukee bullpen even stronger for the stretch run.

Why it won’t: For Pittsburgh, dealing Reynolds within the NL Central and having to see him in a Brewers uniform 19 times a year for the next four years would be tough. The Pirates are unlikely to deal Reynolds at all given his club control, but for a roster in need of so many upgrades, he’s their best asset. Like all GMs, Ben Cherington likely believes his team can contend in the near future, making Reynolds one of the centerpieces of the rebuild.

I want to see the Brewers go after multiple relievers at the deadline. I saw something that apparently it's a buyers market on position players, if so it's definitely feasible that we are active on that front. A few guys I have my eye on for the Brewers as far as relievers. Iglesias from the Angels, Bard from the Rockies, Bleier and Floro from the Marlins. The latter 3 seem like typical Stearns type targets, Iglesias if available mostly because familiarity.

Not a rumor, but lets make it one because I really like it.

Or we could just stick to the thread title like has been requested more than once. It doesn't seem that hard to do...there are multiple other threads you could post a hypothetical to. Heck, just make a new thread if you really want.

This thread is going to be highly obnoxious and annoying in the coming days when rumors start getting heavy if we start mixing real rumors with hypotheticals we come up with ourselves. Someone is going to see Gallo for ____ and think it is a real rumor and in reality it is not.

I mean guys...we have many trade deadline threads....it would be nice if one were limited to mostly just a collection of actual rumors with links. It is pretty convenient when done right.

Community Moderator
According to Heyman:

My goodness do I want to acquire Gallo. Positional flexibility, great defense, and not a rental. Add in his lack of LH/RH split differences and power, and he’s the bat I want. Him and Rowdy at 1st, with Gallo rotating into the OF when Rowdy plays first.

Gallo is the one likely available player that I’ll do literal fist pumps if they acquire. It seems most Gallo specific rumors keep mentioning the Padres (and how AJ Preller really likes him), but I’m hoping the Brewers are indeed in on him as well.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I'm really not interested in Story. His numbers are pumped up by the Coors affect.

.242/.310/.435 for a .745 OPS on the road in his career. For what he is going to cost, its just not worth it IMO.

Couldn't agree more. Would not be excited at all if we acquired Story.

If that buyers market tweet is accurate, and logically it makes sense that it would be, you have to think they acquire someone of substance here to help out on the offense if it doesn't really thin our already weak system. It's not like we can't say Stearns has been very active in deadlines over the years. Besides obviously a reliever or two, I'm now expecting a bat of some kind. I agree with all on Gallo.

Not too thrilled on the Max to the West rumors but what can you do. Hopefully he ends up with Boston.

According to Heyman:

Hopefully, at least for the guys who are short-term "rentals," the cost will be taking on the remaining salary and offering the equivalent of the comp pick the team would get if they were to offer a QO. That wouldn't excite fans of the selling team, but it would be great for the Brewers.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

"I am being told that Texas has a ridiculously overpaid offer on the table for Joey Gallo." -

@JimBowdenGM

I want Gallo but if that rumor is true then I’m good without him.

Cui bono? Literally no one but Texas benefits from this “report.” I’m calling all of the shenanigans on this. Silly season is upon us.

"I am being told that Texas has a ridiculously overpaid offer on the table for Joey Gallo." -

@JimBowdenGM

I want Gallo but if that rumor is true then I’m good without him.

Well that's Bowden, he might think any real prospect is an overpay for Gallo

If it is that overpaid, why haven't they pulled the trigger on it?
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.