Brewer Fanatic

Trade Deadline Rumors

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like all reports are that a Scherzer trade from the Nats is now viewed as likely, rather than just a possibility. NTC issues would need to be worked through, obviously.

Crossing my fingers for this one. Would obviously give us an epic starting rotation and I don’t think it would cost THAT much since he’s a rental.

Sounds like all reports are that a Scherzer trade from the Nats is now viewed as likely, rather than just a possibility. NTC issues would need to be worked through, obviously.

Crossing my fingers for this one. Would obviously give us an epic starting rotation and I don’t think it would cost THAT much since he’s a rental.

An epic starting roatation, but still lacking an impact bat.

I'd hate to get Scherzer, only to lose a lot of his starts 2-1, 3-1, etc.

If we are going to have a rotation like that, or even if we stand pat with Woodruff, Burnes, and Peralta, we MUST add an impact bat, a guy that makes a true difference, not a Cron type.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Kyle Gibson

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

An epic starting roatation, but still lacking an impact bat.

I'd hate to get Scherzer, only to lose a lot of his starts 2-1, 3-1, etc.

If we are going to have a rotation like that, or even if we stand pat with Woodruff, Burnes, and Peralta, we MUST add an impact bat, a guy that makes a true difference, not a Cron type.

The offense has been sufficient since the Adames trade. A lesser-type acquisition at 1B could be enough of an upgrade to push them over the top with that rotation.

If true, that's a downright reasonable ask. Tax adjustments certainly could be substantial going to California from anywhere though...

The offense has been sufficient since the Adames trade. A lesser-type acquisition at 1B could be enough of an upgrade to push them over the top with that rotation.

I agree 100%. Offense has been pretty good the last couple of months. A marginal upgrade to 1B and maybe a bench bat would be plenty if they get Max. They would have 4 legit ace type pitchers and another bullpen ace in Houser because of it. Don't need to be anything better than average on offense with that and the crew is better than average by a good bit the last couple of months.

I agree 100%. Offense has been pretty good the last couple of months. A marginal upgrade to 1B and maybe a bench bat would be plenty if they get Max. They would have 4 legit ace type pitchers and another bullpen ace in Houser because of it. Don't need to be anything better than average on offense with that and the crew is better than average by a good bit the last couple of months.

I'll lead this by saying I think it's extremely unlikely Scherzer is a realistic target for the Brewers. That said, we could also use Peralta in a multi-inning weapon role if we targeted another big horse. He could be planned to pitch 3-4 innings of game 4 but could also pitch 2-3 innings game 1 or 2 of any playoff series and still be viable for those 3 innings game 4. Even in the likely event we don't target a guy better than Peralta, I think any game 4 should probably be a tandem start with pick 2 of Houser/Lauer/Anderson. If any of them is pitching great, sure keep rolling if you think it's sustainable...but I like the idea of going into the game prepared to use 2 starters and get the 1st guy out early if needed.

Potential trade partners for right-hander Kyle Gibson include the Rays and Brewers, a source told The Athletic's Levi Weaver.

I could see the Brewers having intertest in Gibson, given that he has had a very strong year and he is under contract and for 2022. Plus, it can allow me to dream that they pull off a deal for Gallo and Gibson.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/07/brewers-interested-in-josh-donaldson-trevor-story-kyle-gibson.html

MLBTradeRumors saying Brewers are looking at Story, Donaldson and Gibson.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/07/brewers-interested-in-josh-donaldson-trevor-story-kyle-gibson.html

Not surprised, IMO. I’m certain the Brewers have made inquiries about all of the above and Scherzer. Question is who they’re still in on after that initial discussion….

Not surprised, IMO. I’m certain the Brewers have made inquiries about all of the above and Scherzer. Question is who they’re still in on after that initial discussion….

Donaldson would be a nice pick up if they could get the Twins to pay some cash (not likely), otherwise I don't think the Brewers would be looking to add that kind of commitment to a player who is owed big money for multiple seasons. Unless of course they can convince the Twins to take Lorenzo Cain off their hands. The Brewers certainly wouldn't miss him as he has barely played in two years.

Donaldson would be a nice pick up if they could get the Twins to pay some cash (not likely), otherwise I don't think the Brewers would be looking to add that kind of commitment to a player who is owed big money for multiple seasons. Unless of course they can convince the Twins to take Lorenzo Cain off their hands. The Brewers certainly wouldn't miss him as he has barely played in two years.

I agree. Unless they can add Cain, or at least JBJ into the deal, I don't see how they could afford Donaldson, but if they can find a way to do it he'd be a nice bat to pick up.

Money-wise, Story seems more possible. They'd probably have to pay most of his remaining contract and pony up something better than the QO draft pick the Rockies would get if they hold onto him. Tyler Black was the #33 pick this year, so someone on the prospect list around where Black stands would probably make sense.

Pitching is always valuable, even when you already have good pitching. If they swing a deal for Gibson, it would probably move Houser to the bullpen and make them an even more formidable opponent in a playoff matchup. Having him for next year puts them in a nice position of having "too much" starting pitching, so they could either trade someone or maintain some nice depth.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Is there some change in his mechanics or delivery that helps explain Gibson's success this year? He just screams regression candidate to me.

Given his success is mostly a 9.9% HR/FB rate, yeah. His 2021 xFIP is 4.15 compared to career average of 4.12.

I actually hate this time of year...you hear about the Brewers inquiring about Donaldson, you hear them inquiring about Story, or other big names at the deadline, and they end up making some puddle jumper moves instead. Mostly because I assume they consider the price "cost prohibitive". Listen, in a year like this when you have the pitching you have, and the window you have, nothing should be too prohibitive. It's not like you'll have to give up one of the 3 pitchers, or any other untouchables in a deal. It just comes down to them being gun shy.

I think a lot of the reason you hate this time of year is likely because you set unrealistic expectations on the forthcoming moves which inevitably leads to being let down.

You could reasonably argue that if the Brewers made no more moves right now, that they made the most impactful trade of the regular season of 2021 in acquiring Willy Adames.

Is there some change in his mechanics or delivery that helps explain Gibson's success this year? He just screams regression candidate to me.

Only real change in his results appears to be the his HR rate is waaaaay down, 0.72 HR/9 this year vs 1.05 for his career and HR/FB% of 9.9 this year vs 14.3 for his career.

By xFIP, which normalizes home run rates in an effort to weed out small sample flukiness, Gibson is at 4.15 this year vs 4.12 for his career.

The only change that really jumps out otherwise is it looks like Gibson has added a cutter which he throws around 12.4% of the time. I remember that Marco Estrada added a cutter when he went to the Blue Jays & saw his HR rate drop considerably, so maybe Gibson isn't due for quite as much regression as it appears on the surface, but I would still definitely take the over on his current 2.87 ERA for the rest of season either way.

Jon Heyman

@JonHeyman

·

7m

Scherzer’s preferred list of teams includes the Dodgers, Giants and Padres (and some others) but is said more about the ability to win this year and going forward (he’d like a team he could stay with) than geography. A bidding war betw the 3 NL West leaders is certainly possible.