Brewer Fanatic

Trade Deadline Rumors

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually hate this time of year...you hear about the Brewers inquiring about Donaldson, you hear them inquiring about Story, or other big names at the deadline, and they end up making some puddle jumper moves instead. Mostly because I assume they consider the price "cost prohibitive". Listen, in a year like this when you have the pitching you have, and the window you have, nothing should be too prohibitive. It's not like you'll have to give up one of the 3 pitchers, or any other untouchables in a deal. It just comes down to them being gun shy.

Brewers pre-deadline 2019: 57-52 (.523 W%)

Brewers post-deadline 2019: 32-21 (.604 W%)

Brewers pre-deadline 2018: 63-47 (.573 W%)

Brewers post-deadline 2018: 33-20 (.623 W%)

Brewers pre-deadline 2017: 55-52 (.514 W%)

Brewers post-deadline 2017: 31-24 (.564 W%)

Whatever they are doing it has worked three deadlines in a row. If Stearns & company can make moves to improve on the team's current .580 W% over the last two months I will be impressed. Again.

I don't know why, but I feel like the Brewers are going to land Max Scherzer for some reason.

I feel like they're going to make a pretty big deal, too. I don't know if it'll be Scherzer but a player with a little control while our "window" is open.

I don't know why, but I feel like the Brewers are going to land Max Scherzer for some reason.

I feel like they're going to make a pretty big deal, too. I don't know if it'll be Scherzer but a player with a little control while our "window" is open.

I know it’s extremely unlikely, but imagine if they could land Scherzer and sign him for like a 2-year extension. That would line up with the rest of the big three starters and would give us one hell of a window.

I actually hate this time of year...you hear about the Brewers inquiring about Donaldson, you hear them inquiring about Story, or other big names at the deadline, and they end up making some puddle jumper moves instead. Mostly because I assume they consider the price "cost prohibitive". Listen, in a year like this when you have the pitching you have, and the window you have, nothing should be too prohibitive. It's not like you'll have to give up one of the 3 pitchers, or any other untouchables in a deal. It just comes down to them being gun shy.

…. Or perhaps the demands were truly horrible for the Brewers? What if the Rockies asked for Hader in return for Story? Brewers inquire, Rockies put out a huge demand, no deal is made. I’d bet that’s how 80% of phone calls go this week. Not ‘gun shy’ at all.

My initial thoughts going into July involved a marginal upgrade at first base and some bullpen arms. I'm starting to hold out hope for a bigger splash though.

Donaldson at third or another top end starter would be pretty awesome.

Unless he comes as a salary dump (unlikely) Story really doesn't do much. He hasn't been good this year and only projects to be slightly above league average or so going forward. His top end of a 115 wRC+ or so is basically the equal any number of less expensive in cost to acquire 1B types (Rizzo, Schoop, Santana, Aguilar, etc.)

…. Or perhaps the demands were truly horrible for the Brewers? What if the Rockies asked for Hader in return for Story? Brewers inquire, Rockies put out a huge demand, no deal is made. I’d bet that’s how 80% of phone calls go this week. Not ‘gun shy’ at all.

But I already said it's not like they will have to give up one of the 3 pitchers(Woody, Burnes, Peralta) or any other untouchables in the deal(Hader is in this category). But you also bring up another point..I can totally see Stearns and co doing this...they call the Rockies about Story, Rockies say "it will take Hader". Brewers say "okay thank you" and move on, rather then even engaging them in real negotiations to see if they can come to some sort of an agreement on terms both can agree with. You can't just hang up and figure the cost is too expensive, without even trying to negotiate. That's being gun shy. Again, I can totally see Stearns and co doing this in some situations.

But I already said it's not like they will have to give up one of the 3 pitchers(Woody, Burnes, Peralta) or any other untouchables in the deal(Hader is in this category). But you also bring up another point..I can totally see Stearns and co doing this...they call the Rockies about Story, Rockies say "it will take Hader". Brewers say "okay thank you" and move on, rather then even engaging them in real negotiations to see if they can come to some sort of an agreement on terms both can agree with. You can't just hang up and figure the cost is too expensive, without even trying to negotiate. That's being gun shy. Again, I can totally see Stearns and co doing this in some situations.

Saying nothing about the fact that you have no idea what is or is not being said in trade conversations, if you believe this is what the Brewer FO does then I don't know what to tell you.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Saying nothing about the fact that you have no idea what is or is not being said in trade conversations, if you believe this is what the Brewer FO does then I don't know what to tell you.

Well, let's put it this way...Yes, Stearns has made deals, some good, some bad(as all GM's do), but there is no doubt he has(thus far) proven to be no Doug Melvin as far as aggressiveness and making a deal(s), that shock baseball. Melvin seemed more of the type, he'd get his mind set on a certain player(Greinke, CC for example), zeroed in on them and did what he had to do to get it done. in other words, he wasn't walking away without that player. Stearns seems to be the much more passive type. Sure, he'll inquire about some big names, but rather than getting his mind set on that guy(s), and not being afraid to make sure he gets his guy, he'll go "well, let's see what else is out there". Once you do that, you aren't likely to go back to the big name guy. Much more passive vs. agressive.

Well, let's put it this way...Yes, Stearns has made deals, some good, some bad(as all GM's do), but there is no doubt he has(thus far) proven to be no Doug Melvin as far as aggressiveness and making a deal(s), that shock baseball. Melvin seemed more of the type, he'd get his mind set on a certain player(Greinke, CC for example), zeroed in on them and did what he had to do to get it done. in other words, he wasn't walking away without that player. Stearns seems to be the much more passive type. Sure, he'll inquire about some big names, but rather than getting his mind set on that guy(s), and not being afraid to make sure he gets his guy, he'll go "well, let's see what else is out there". Once you do that, you aren't likely to go back to the big name guy. Much more passive vs. agressive.

That is a whole lot of conjecture with absolutely nothing to back it up. Whether it is the offseason or the deadline, DS isn't going to overpay. I'm not sure why pointing to Melvin as the better approach is something you want to do but DS has lead arguably the most successful run in Brewers history with his "passive" approach which in reality hasn't been all that passive.

Edited by 82brewcrew82

I get the sense Stearns is on the phone to drive up any prices on players. I just can’t see them going deep for a bat, economically and cost of prospects. Hope I’m wrong.

This is an odd read on things. The Brewers always do something. And this year they're positioned to act even more so than previous seasons.

Community Moderator

Remember, this was Ken Rosenthal’s reporting of the Brewers-Orioles negotiations in 2018:

The Manny Machado sweepstakes soon might reach a point where one team, be it the Baltimore Orioles or one of their prospective trade partners, is going to blink.

The Orioles want right-hander Corbin Burnes as the centerpiece in any Machado trade with the Milwaukee Brewers.

It would’ve been so exciting for the Brewers to acquire Machado back in 2018, but imagine if they would’ve met the Orioles reported demands and given up Burnes. Sometimes the less exciting move proves to be the right move.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

One player I could see the Brewers being willing to move in a deal for a bigger name that i think some teams would covet is Adrian Houser.

I was thinking they get a starter and improve the pen by moving Houser there.

Yes…..some trades would definitely be cost prohibitive………the reason why the Brewers are in this situation now is because they refused to deal guys like Woodruff and Burnes a few years ago.

Thank goodness they viewed dealing them as “cost prohibitive”.

Need to quote this just to give a +1 to the response. The only reason this week would be maddening as a fan is because we naturally have a video game like GM mindset and not an actual GM mindset. I would love for the Brewers to land a guy like Story or Scherzer and create that "all-in" feeling, but I also trust the front office to make the move that is best for the Brewers organization. If the Brewers don't make a huge move this week, it certainly won't be because Stearns & co. are asleep at the wheel.

BTW, those "puddle-jumper" moves haven't been too bad either...Moustakas, Lyles, Pomeranz, Soria etc. Any player along those lines would be a great addition to this club.

One player I could see the Brewers being willing to move in a deal for a bigger name that i think some teams would covet is Adrian Houser.

Houser is a good #4/5 starter. There is value but you are not getting much for him.

Donaldson has played a bit of 1st and part of the reason I like that angle is that I can see him needing more off days at this point in his career and if he is taking some time at 3rd Urias can get a few more, and the rest of his ABs come from splitting time with Rowdy at first. On the roster management side I'd imagine Shaw is gone then and either Cain or JBJ is part of off setting the salary. The positional flexibility leans into a team strength, about the only missing portion would be if one of those IFers splitting time could double as the 5th OFer.