Brewer Fanatic

Trade Deadline Rumors

From Adam McCalvy

David Stearns said the Brewers did engage on some of the premium players on this market, but said "in certain circumstances I think maybe our geographical location didn't always help."

Interesting. Maybe some of the players who had no-trade clauses and only wanted to go to the coast teams?

Right, so basically, Scherzer.

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Community Moderator

I would’ve loved some big splashy move from the Brewers at the deadline, but ending the day with Garrett Mitchell, Brice Turang, Aaron Ashby, Mario Feliciano, Hedbert Perez, Jackson Chourio, etc. all still in the farm system is a win in its own right.

Also, I’m collecting and hanging onto receipts from the Turang slander I’ve seen over the past couple of weeks. ;)

Not just “at Night” anymore.

From Adam McCalvy

David Stearns said the Brewers did engage on some of the premium players on this market, but said "in certain circumstances I think maybe our geographical location didn't always help."

This is why when I hear "Why didn't the Brewers go get this guy or that guy" either now or in the off season, I have to shake my head. Aside from the fact that they don't have an $8+ billion dollar TV contract like teams such as the Dodgers, there are so many other factors at play. You can't just get whoever you want. There are 29 other teams - several of them with much higher revenue and more desirable geographic locations to players. Derek Jeter was a great SS, but do you think he would have been as nationally known or as iconic if he played his career with the Brewers? Players understand that there is "added value" beyond their actual contract to playing in big markets on either coast.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I would’ve loved some big splashy move from the Brewers at the deadline, but ending the day with Garrett Mitchell, Brice Turang, Aaron Ashby, Mario Feliciano, Hedbert Perez, Jackson Chourio, etc. all still in the farm system is a win in its own right.

Also, I’m collecting and hanging onto receipts from the Turang slander I’ve seen over the past couple of weeks. ;)

Can you please keep some receipts for guys who agree with you too? :)

Also plausible that he's referring to guys he may have wanted from the North side?

Maybe, but that's not really a geographical problem....just intradivision. The Cubs traded Kimbrel to a team in their own city, after all.

I think it implies Scherzer more than a Cubs player.

I find it really hard to believe Stearns was willing to back up a dump truck for Scherzer (good enough to get him), but seemingly not any other player they had heavy interest in that was more upper shelf.

I will stick to the assumption we had zero chance for Scherzer because he didn’t want to come here AND because we wouldn’t offer enough.

And while I agree with the sentiment about some people always assuming we can outbid via money or trade capital I also can’t stand people that just assume we couldn’t get a guy because we couldn’t offer enough or they didn’t want to come here. I hate the “we never had a chance because we are a small market/Milwaukee” when there is zero proof that was the case.

I find it really hard to believe Stearns was willing to back up a dump truck for Scherzer (good enough to get him), but seemingly not any other player they had heavy interest in that was more upper shelf.

I will stick to the assumption we had zero chance for Scherzer because he didn’t want to come here AND because we wouldn’t offer enough.

And while I agree with the sentiment about some people always assuming we can outbid via money or trade capital I also can’t stand people that just assume we couldn’t get a guy because we couldn’t offer enough or they didn’t want to come here. I hate the “we never had a chance because we are a small market/Milwaukee” when there is zero proof that was the case.

Scherzer had total control of where he ended up and was clear he wanted to go to the West Coast. In his case, I get it. In many cases I agree with you, don't assume we can't get a guy because we're the Brewers.

On the opposite end are guys who assume we can just put Mitchell and Turang on the table and have anyone that is on the trade block. Doesn't work that way.

Community Moderator

Scherzer had total control of where he ended up and was clear he wanted to go to the West Coast. In his case, I get it. In many cases I agree with you, don't assume we can't get a guy because we're the Brewers.

On the opposite end are guys who assume we can just put Mitchell and Turang on the table and have anyone that is on the trade block. Doesn't work that way.

Between Scherzer likely preferring the Dodgers, Justin Turner using the Brewers to increase his Dodgers pay day, and Walker Buehler making the joke about not being scared of Milwaukee, it’s sure setting up for incredible satisfaction if the Brewers can beat the Dodgers in the playoffs.

Heyman said we made an offer for Story.

Curious who was in the deal.

My guess is not much. Something around the value of Peyton Henry maybe. He's a rental who is not having a great year by his standards. Whatever we offered was deemed less valuable than a comp pick.

My guess is not much. Something around the value of Peyton Henry maybe. He's a rental who is not having a great year by his standards. Whatever we offered was deemed less valuable than a comp pick.

He's a rental who is not having a great year, has a .655 road OPS this year, and is making $18.5M this year. I think the reason the Rockies didn't trade him is because in order to get a good prospect back they would have had to eat a good chunk of his remaining salary.

Guessing because they didn’t want to have to swallow their pride. I really doubt they didn’t get an offer better than a comp pick. How much is a comp pick even ‘worth’? They would have saved $8mil or so selling him off. That alone is probably more valuable than a comp pick.

Deemed less valuable than a comp pick by the most incompetent organization in MLB.

How do you guys know what offers they had?

By not trading him they can negotiate with him at any time to extend his contract without any competing offers. Puts pressure on Story to make a decision and choose a bird-in-hand versus an unknown of what he will get as a FA. Also, what are the chances that Story gets a contract worth more than a QO after this past season with a .655 road OPS (and career sub-.750 road OPS)? I think there's a decent chance that Story accepts the QO to try to redeem his value; if he does, the Rockies can trade him next deadline.

I don't think this is a horrible move by the Rockies, and I think some of you are over-valuing him. For a guy with a sub-.750 career OPS away from Coors field and coming off of a season where so far he has a .655 OPS away from Coors field, I don't see him getting an AAV worth more than the 2021 QO of $18.9M. At least, if I were a GM I wouldn't give him that kind of an AAV and I wouldn't have given up the equivalent of a first round pick for two months of him even if the Rockies paid most of his salary.

How do you guys know what offers they had?

By not trading him they can negotiate with him at any time to extend his contract without any competing offers. Puts pressure on Story to make a decision and choose a bird-in-hand versus an unknown of what he will get as a FA. Also, what are the chances that Story gets a contract worth more than a QO after this past season with a .655 road OPS (and career sub-.750 road OPS)? I think there's a decent chance that Story accepts the QO to try to redeem his value; if he does, the Rockies can trade him next deadline.

I don't think this is a horrible move by the Rockies, and I think some of you are over-valuing him. For a guy with a sub-.750 career OPS away from Coors field and coming off of a season where so far he has a .655 OPS away from Coors field, I don't see him getting an AAV worth more than the 2021 QO of $18.9M. At least, if I were a GM I wouldn't give him that kind of an AAV and I wouldn't have given up the equivalent of a first round pick for two months of him even if the Rockies paid most of his salary.

He may not get more than the AAV of the QO but I don't see him signing that QO. He is going to reject it and if he has to he will sign a 1-year deal with a player option with someone. I wouldn't be surprised if that team is the Yankees or the Angels. I don't see Story resigning with the Rockies that ship has sailed and has sunk far off the coast somewhere.

Trevor Story scratched himself from Friday night’s game because he was so upset and confused by the Rockies not trading him.

Below are some quotes from this article in the The Athletic by Nick Groke titled, Trevor Story left confused by the Rockies’ trade deadline outcome: ‘I was expecting something’:

“I was really confused. I didn’t have great things to say about the situation,” Story said. “Guys like me in a situation I’m in, I was expecting something. … It was very nerve-racking and time-consuming.”

………

Story will now play out the final two months of his contract in Colorado, then almost certainly leave for a better situation. When asked whether he would entertain an offer from the Rockies for a long-term contract, he said: “I think the writing is on the wall.”

Trevor Story scratched himself from Friday night’s game because he was so upset and confused by the Rockies not trading him.

Below are some quotes from this article in the The Athletic by Nick Groke titled, Trevor Story left confused by the Rockies’ trade deadline outcome: ‘I was expecting something’:

“I was really confused. I didn’t have great things to say about the situation,” Story said. “Guys like me in a situation I’m in, I was expecting something. … It was very nerve-racking and time-consuming.”

………

Story will now play out the final two months of his contract in Colorado, then almost certainly leave for a better situation. When asked whether he would entertain an offer from the Rockies for a long-term contract, he said: “I think the writing is on the wall.”

Wouldn't surprise me in the least to see him sign with the Cubs this offseason on a short term deal - not really sure if that would be good or bad for us as Brewer fans, but the Cubs will be needing to add some veteran everyday players to fill out their MLB roster even if they just burned what they had all down. If the offseason FA interest in Story is lukewarm based on a subpar 2021 and a long list of other SS free agents, I can see him signing a 1 yr prove it deal in a big market to build his value back up and get flipped by that noncontending team at next year's deadline.

………

Wouldn't surprise me in the least to see him sign with the Cubs this offseason on a short term deal - not really sure if that would be good or bad for us as Brewer fans, but the Cubs will be needing to add some veteran everyday players to fill out their MLB roster even if they just burned what they had all down. If the offseason FA interest in Story is lukewarm based on a subpar 2021 and a long list of other SS free agents, I can see him signing a 1 yr prove it deal in a big market to build his value back up and get flipped by that noncontending team at next year's deadline.

Uphill battle for Cubs to get top FA if they are saying rebuild.

Not really. "How much are you going to pay me" is quite a bit higher on the question list of prospective free agents than "when do you think you will be contenders again?"

In any event, the large payroll of the Cubs makes it unlikely for them to need numerous years to turn it around.

………

Uphill battle for Cubs to get top FA if they are saying rebuild.

Story won't be a top FA next offseason - other SS alone include Semien, Seager, Correa, Baez, Crawford that will probably be more coveted than Story. The Cubs will have some $$ and be looking to add a guy they can pay market value on a short term deal with plans to trade him for more prospects....it's the same formula Theo did with the Cubs his first few seasons with them when they were in tank/rebuild mode.