Brewer Fanatic

Trade Deadline Rumors

Jon Morosi

@jonmorosi

·

40s

Sources: #Twins discussing José Berríos in trade talks with multiple teams, including #Padres and #Dodgers.

@MLBNetwork

If they trade Berrios then it is a full scale rebuild and maybe there is a way the Brewers can get Donaldson without taking the whole contract.

Donaldson would be the dream scenario. Only problem is that it doesn’t solve problems at 1st base and Urias has been very solid.

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems SDAnd LA are looking hard to make a big push

They have the most at stake.

Win the NL West & you get a bye to the first round.

Get 2nd or 3rd in the NLW & you are playing the other NLW team in the Wild Card Game & your postseason run has about a 50/50 shot at being one game.

Is Hosmer of any interest at all? He's not great, but he's not an albatross and the Padres would probably basically give him away. Gets on base okay and you might see some improvement in the power numbers going from San Diego to Milwaukee.

He's overpaid at 3/39 for 3 more seasons, so you'd need San Diego to eat a chunk or take a guy like JBJ back, I'd think.

Is Hosmer of any interest at all? He's not great, but he's not an albatross and the Padres would probably basically give him away. Gets on base okay and you might see some improvement in the power numbers going from San Diego to Milwaukee.

He's overpaid at 3/39 for 3 more seasons, so you'd need San Diego to eat a chunk or take a guy like JBJ back, I'd think.

I saw that SD was rumored to be shopping Hosmer. I'm sure that's all about getting under the luxury tax to be able to afford a different bigger contract. I'd be intrigued to see what else could be packaged in a JBJ-Hosmer swap. Maybe a third team. Maybe another change-of-scenery player each way?

Hosmer's 56.9% ground ball rate is the 3rd highest in MLB since 2018, power numbers are unlikely to improve much without a change in batted ball profile.

Since joining SD...

2018 | 60.4 GB% | 95 wRC+

2019 | 56.0 GB% | 91 wRC+

2020 | 46.2 GB% | 127 wRC+

2021 | 56.9 GB% | 96 wRC+

SOURCE: The #Brewers are acquiring recently DFA’d #Braves CF Ender Inciarte in exchange for a PTBNL. #Brewers get outfield depth, and with development, believe that Inciarte can return to his all-star caliber form from 2017.

https://twitter.com/BravesFromLA/status/1419736862504062985

This as well. No idea how legit this guy is but he does write for The Athletic. I am sure they would love to trade Cain but I find it hard to believe someone would actually want him at that salary:

"As usual for small market teams, the #Brewers are always looking for opportunities to shed payroll. One source tells me they are looking to trade CF Lorenzo Cain before Saturday’s trade deadline."

https://twitter.com/BravesFromLA/status/1419741807160659969?s=20

Just say no to Hosmer. He is owed $60M over the next 4 years ($21M in 2022 and then $13M for the next three years), and he can opt out after 2022.

Hosmer is a replacement level 1B only. If they want to give us a legit prospect to take him on, then maybe. But he's not any kind of upgrade.

As for Inciarte, I don't buy it at all. Even if they trade Cain, they still have JBJ as a glove-first CF. Taylor plays a decent CF too, Defensive CF is hardly a position of need. Don't think there is anything to it at all.

Community Moderator
Jon Heyman

@JonHeyman

·

8m

Brewers also have checked in on Trevor Story. Their Adames pickup has been the best in-season move but they seek another big bat. This would clearly qualify.

I wonder if the Brewers would indeed ask him to play some in the outfield. Sort of fascinated to see how they would utilize him.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Community Moderator

From Washington Post reporter Chelsea Janes:

Nationals are getting a lot of interest in Trea Turner, according to person familiar. Sounds like they haven’t ruled out dealing him, but would need to be presented with a total no-brainer of a deal.

I wonder if the Reds would be a team that could use some of their prospect depth to piece together a big package for Turner.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Nationals are getting a lot of interest in Trea Turner, according to person familiar. Sounds like they haven’t ruled out dealing him, but would need to be presented with a total no-brainer of a deal.

I wonder if the Reds would be a team that could use some of their prospect depth to piece together a big package for Turner.

Man I hope not. Feels like the only hole in there lineup and if they get some bullpen help, they would very tough.

I actually hate this time of year...you hear about the Brewers inquiring about Donaldson, you hear them inquiring about Story, or other big names at the deadline, and they end up making some puddle jumper moves instead. Mostly because I assume they consider the price "cost prohibitive". Listen, in a year like this when you have the pitching you have, and the window you have, nothing should be too prohibitive. It's not like you'll have to give up one of the 3 pitchers, or any other untouchables in a deal. It just comes down to them being gun shy.

I actually hate this time of year...you hear about the Brewers inquiring about Donaldson, you hear them inquiring about Story, or other big names at the deadline, and they end up making some puddle jumper moves instead. Mostly because I assume they consider the price "cost prohibitive". Listen, in a year like this when you have the pitching you have, and the window you have, nothing should be too prohibitive. It's not like you'll have to give up one of the 3 pitchers, or any other untouchables in a deal. It just comes down to them being gun shy.

Yes…..some trades would definitely be cost prohibitive………the reason why the Brewers are in this situation now is because they refused to deal guys like Woodruff and Burnes a few years ago.

Thank goodness they viewed dealing them as “cost prohibitive”.

The Reds not ponying up for Adames, who is making the minimum this year with three years of Arby's left, but instead choosing to pay a presumably higher price in prospects to land Trea Turner, who is making 13 million this year with one year of Arby's left, would be just about the most Reds thing ever.

Besides trading your closer to save payroll or starting Eugenio Suarez at SS in a season where you intended to compete, of course.