Brewer Fanatic

Trade Deadline Rumors

Yes, I should have included Mitchell in there as well...You can't tell me the Nats wouldn't take a Mitchell/Ashby/Small/Turang ++ package.

I mean, yes they may not take that deal. None of those prospects are as highly regarded or as close to contributing as Ruiz/Gray are. So yes, it's very likely that the Dodgers beat that deal by adding a couple of additional prospects to them.

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I should have included Mitchell in there as well...You can't tell me the Nats wouldn't take a Mitchell/Ashby/Small/Turang ++ package. Granted, it's a moot point, but that's what I mean by swinging big. If it fails, it fails, at least you gave it a hell of a shot.

Well, you don't know that they didn't, and if Scherzer said "no thanks", it ends right there.

Also, I don't know if the Nats would have taken that. The Dodgers gave up a hell of a top 2 prospects that you can't just make up for in quantity.

Verified Member

That trade value calculator is a bit silly. It all depends on how the other team's front office values a prospect. Not far fetched that the Nationals would think Mitchell and Turang are comparable to Ruiz and Gray (or not, we don't know).

I think it's an extremely light return for Scherzer and an extra year of Turner. Poor trade by them.

That trade value calculator is a bit silly. It all depends on how the other team's front office values a prospect. Not far fetched that the Nationals would think Mitchell and Turang are comparable to Ruiz and Gray (or not, we don't know).

Ok, and again, if Ruiz and Gray were on the table and so were Mitchell and Turang and they valued them equally and Scherzer said "I want to go to the West Coast", then it's a moot point.

Community Moderator
I know we’re mostly focused on actual rumors, but I’m surprised at how few rumors there have been surrounding the Orioles thus far. Very curious to see if they move top relief arms like LHRP Paul Fry and LHRP Tanner Scott, and I thought we might hear a little bit of noise surrounding Mancini who can obviously play both a corner outfield spot and 1B.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Community Moderator

I think it's an extremely light return for Scherzer and an extra year of Turner. Poor trade by them.

Keibert Ruiz and Josiah Gray are both older than Juan Soto. I think the point for the Nationals is they were able to create a young MLB ready core that they’ll control for the next 5+ years. Especially considering the current state of the Nationals farm system, I think it’s a good trade for them. But I’ll admit, they still have a lot more work to do if they plan to compete again in the near future.

Keibert Ruiz and Josiah Gray are both older than Juan Soto. I think the point for the Nationals is they were able to create a young MLB ready core that they’ll control for the next 5+ years. Especially considering the current state of the Nationals farm system, I think it’s a good trade for them.

Yeah, twelve years of Gray/Ruiz should produce a lot more value than a year & four months of Scherzer/Turner.

This was my thinking...that sure doesn't seem like a huge return for those two.

I know we’re mostly focused on actual rumors, but I’m surprised at how few rumors there have been surrounding the Orioles thus far. Very curious to see if they move top relief arms like LHRP Paul Fry and LHRP Tanner Scott, and I thought we might hear a little bit of noise surrounding Mancini who can obviously play both a corner outfield spot and 1B.

Very good point man. Unless there front office is similar to the brewers. Really want us to play let’s make a deal with them.

Sorry, should have clarified my point that the Dodgers probably view Turner as a rental this year - I'm guessing they trade him this offseason and not miss a beat by improving a hole elsewhere on their roster.

Corey Seager is a free agent after this season, so I sort of think they just locked up their shortstop for next year. The Dodgers are obviously well run though, so I wouldn’t completely rule out your scenario if they do indeed re-sign Seager.

I expect them to resign Seager and then decide whether to stick with Lux and trade Trea Turner or trade Lux and ride Turner at 2nd. Dealing Turner in the offseason helps their payroll scenario and probably lets them acquire quality mlb pitching, which will be a roster gap they'll have.

No matter what they do, they have unlimited good options.

This was my thinking...that sure doesn't seem like a huge return for those two.

That's because you over value name recognition & under value prospects relative to MLB front offices.

Scherzer & Turner both project around 1.5 to 2 WAR rest of season. Turner will probably project around 6 WAR for next year. So the Dodgers just traded for about 10 WAR. They are due about 17 million in salary this year, plus say another 19 million for Turner in Arby's next season so 36 million. At nine million per WAR the Dodgers acquired around 54 million in surplus value.

The Trade Valuation tools posted upthread both have the Dodgers prospect package over 60 million in surplus value.

Community Moderator

Very good point man. Unless there front office is similar to the brewers. Really want us to play let’s make a deal with them.

Well their GM, Mike Elias, used to work directly with David Stearns, and after Stearns was named Brewers GM, Elias was promoted to his vacated Asst GM position with the Astros. A long-winded way of saying yes, there are likely some similarities between how they operate.

There were rumors that the Orioles may not be willing to trade Mancini basically they would listen but it would have to be a blow us away type of an offer. I don't believe Mancini is that type of a player that you do that for and it looks like so far other GM's across baseball are in agreeance with this.

Community Moderator

Happy Trade Deadline Day everyone!

The official deadline is 3:00pm central time this afternoon. In the meantime you might want to take a moment to appreciate those prospects one last time, because some of them are likely getting moved today.

The official deadline is 3:00pm central time this afternoon. In the meantime you might want to take a moment to appreciate those prospects one last time, because some of them are likely getting moved today.

I don't know, I get the feeling they may be done. At least as far as anything real impactful goes that would cost any of the real familiar prospects. Maybe a bullpen arm today...MAYBE.

Community Moderator

I don't know, I get the feeling they may be done. At least as far as anything real impactful goes that would cost any of the real familiar prospects. Maybe a bullpen arm today...MAYBE.

This is David Stearns 6th trade deadline with the Brewers. He’s made at least one trade on deadline day in each of his previous 5 seasons.

They’re making trades today.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

They'll make at least one deal today. That is practically guaranteed. It may not be for the "name" guy that you always want, though. Just remember, there is more that goes into a successful trade than acquiring a guy with a familiar name. Eduardo Escobar has a very familiar name to anyone who actually follows baseball, and you've basically already written that off because ... well ... I guess they made a trade, but not the kind of trade you wanted?

Community Moderator

From Mark Feinsand

Per sources, the Rockies have no plans to trade either Jon Gray or Daniel Bard today. Trevor Story is obviously still the big key to their Deadline day.

The Rockies have been trying to extend Jon Gray, per sources. If no deal is reached, one possibility is Colorado giving Gray a Qualifying Offer after the season; the salary would be high, but a one-year deal for a solid starter is never a bad thing for a team.