Brewer Fanatic

Trade Deadline Rumors

Berrios’s FIP number is skewed by his rookie season. All other seasons except one have him below 4, some pretty significantly.

What FIP calculation? B Ref shows his lowest as this year at 3.56. The lowest before (and most seasons were close to it too) 3.84. That isn’t significant to me.

If 3.56 isn’t significant to you, I guess we’ll have to disagree.

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had to look up why the Dodgers would need Turner. I didn’t realize Gavin Lux stunk and is hurt.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Berrios’s FIP number is skewed by his rookie season. All other seasons except one have him below 4, some pretty significantly.

What FIP calculation? B Ref shows his lowest as this year at 3.56. The lowest before (and most seasons were close to it too) 3.84. That isn’t significant to me.

If 3.56 isn’t significant to you, I guess we’ll have to disagree.

You said some pretty significantly. That would be one…and not even that because it isn’t a full season.

He is a nice pitcher, but a pretty consistent 3.85ish pitcher according to FIP.

You said some pretty significantly. That would be one…and not even that because it isn’t a full season.

He is a nice pitcher, but a pretty consistent 3.85ish pitcher according to FIP.

But his career numbers are indeed skewed because of his rookie season as I said in the rest of my post. I apologize for using some instead of one if it caused confusion. I meant in as ‘a non specific amount’ as allowable by the Oxford dictionary.

Community Moderator

From Rosenthal…

If trade is completed, full package headed to Nationals for Scherzer and Turner Nationals will be C Keibert Ruiz, RHP Josiah Gray and two mid-range prospects, sources tell @TheAthletic. Others reporting Scherzer has given has approval.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

For context, Ruiz is their top position prospect and Gray is their top pitcher. Both Top 50 prospects in MLB.

Okay, now I ask this in all honesty and not trying to be a jag off...But people say it's hard to compete with the Dodgers at the trade deadline etc. Let's assume for a minute Scherzer would have waived his no trade clause for Milwaukee...The Brewers could have at least come close to this right?? I mean a Small and/or Ashby, Turang + package comes very close, doesn't it?? If not even better??

For context, Ruiz is their top position prospect and Gray is their top pitcher. Both Top 50 prospects in MLB.

Okay, now I ask this in all honesty and not trying to be a jag off...But people say it's hard to compete with the Dodgers ta the trade deadline etc. Let's assume for a minute Scherzer would have waived his no trade clause for Milwaukee...The Brewers could have at least come close to this right?? I mean a Small and/or Ashby, Turang + package comes very close, doesn't it?? If not even better??

Not even close. Try Mitchell, Turang, Small and probably another piece or two. These are premier top 50 prospects. Not worth it for rentals.

From Rosenthal…

If trade is completed, full package headed to Nationals for Scherzer and Turner Nationals will be C Keibert Ruiz, RHP Josiah Gray and two mid-range prospects, sources tell @TheAthletic. Others reporting Scherzer has given has approval.

Thats a good haul for a couple rentals....then again those are two damn good rentals and the Dodgers can just shell out more prospect value and cash to reload next year if both arent there in 2022. It's honestly like the dodgers can use the rest of mlb as a feeder team to fill holes all the while having similar financial advantages to maintain a solid farm system.

Community Moderator
From Rosenthal…

Thats a good haul for a couple rentals....then again those are two damn good rentals and the Dodgers can just shell out more prospect value and cash to reload next year of both arent there in 2022. It's honestly like the dodgers can use the rest of mlb as a feeder team to fill holes all the while having similar financial advantages to maintain a solid farm system.

Turner is under control through next season.

Okay, now I ask this in all honesty and not trying to be a jag off...But people say it's hard to compete with the Dodgers at the trade deadline etc. Let's assume for a minute Scherzer would have waived his no trade clause for Milwaukee...The Brewers could have at least come close to this right?? I mean a Small and/or Ashby, Turang + package comes very close, doesn't it?? If not even better??

Nope. Not enough. The Dodgers have better high end prospects. Mitchell is probably close to one of these two, but realistically we could probably offer both him and Turang and still it's not enough.

You're probably needing to offer someone like Freddy Peralta to top the Dodgers offer, and that's just counterproductive, and if Scherzer won't waive, a moot point anyway.

Dodgers getting Scherzer is whatever, it's that they're also getting Turner that disgusts me. it's like getting in a poker game with your neighborhood buddies and Jeff Bezos shows up to bluff everyone into folding with his tons of cash.
"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

From Rosenthal…

Thats a good haul for a couple rentals....then again those are two damn good rentals and the Dodgers can just shell out more prospect value and cash to reload next year of both arent there in 2022. It's honestly like the dodgers can use the rest of mlb as a feeder team to fill holes all the while having similar financial advantages to maintain a solid farm system.

Turner is under control through next season.

Sorry, should have clarified my point that the Dodgers probably view Turner as a rental this year - I'm guessing they trade him this offseason and not miss a beat by improving a hole elsewhere on their roster.

Going off the FanGraphs surplus values they have Gray (55 FV, +34 million) & Ruiz (50 FV, +28 million) at +62 million.

Ashby (50 FV, +21 million) plus Turang (45 FV, +6 million) plus Small (45 FV, +4 million) comes out at +31 million.

I know not everyone's a fan of the BTS site, but just to have some perceived values, this is approximately the value of just those two guys compared to guys in the Brewers' system:

hpuTv2p.png

And that doesn't even account for the fact that the Dodgers are reportedly offering a couple additional mid-level prospects on top of that.

Nope. Not enough. The Dodgers have better high end prospects. Mitchell is probably close to one of these two, but realistically we could probably offer both him and Turang and still it's not enough.

You're probably needing to offer someone like Freddy Peralta to top the Dodgers offer, and that's just counterproductive, and if Scherzer won't waive, a moot point anyway.

Yes, I should have included Mitchell in there as well...You can't tell me the Nats wouldn't take a Mitchell/Ashby/Small/Turang ++ package. Granted, it's a moot point, but that's what I mean by swinging big. If it fails, it fails, at least you gave it a hell of a shot.

Don't know why the Dodgers would be planning on trading Turner after this season. It's not like they can't afford him in arbitration, he's really good, and can help them win a WS next year too.

Seager will be an FA. So the Dodgers will just insert Turner as the SS if they want.

Community Moderator
Sorry, should have clarified my point that the Dodgers probably view Turner as a rental this year - I'm guessing they trade him this offseason and not miss a beat by improving a hole elsewhere on their roster.

Corey Seager is a free agent after this season, so I sort of think they just locked up their shortstop for next year. The Dodgers are obviously well run though, so I wouldn’t completely rule out your scenario if they do indeed re-sign Seager.