Brewer Fanatic

Trade Deadline Rumors

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Community Moderator

From Jon Morosi:

José Ramírez could be available at the MLB trade deadline, with Cleveland losing tonight for the 5th time in 6 games and falling to .500. Ramírez's contract includes affordable team options for 2022 and 2023, so the club could wait until the offseason to move him.

The Mariners are one team to watch on José Ramírez. Seattle has a rich farm system and flexibility at 2B/3B in the near and medium term. Jerry Dipoto always is ready to deal. And if he makes a significant move, it needs to be for a controllable player.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Community Moderator

From Jon Morosi:

The Brewers are looking for relief pitching at the deadline, GM Matt Arnold confirmed to us on MLB Network Radio. The club also expects to activate Devin Williams and Justin Topa in the near term, and Arnold indicated LHP Ethan Small is a call-up candidate.

Mark Feinsand

@Feinsand

· 7m

The Mariners are making a push to trade for INF/OF Whit Merrifield of the Royals, sources tell me and @DKramer_. Merrifield is under control through 2023 at a reasonable cost (approx. $10M over 2 years incl. ‘23 option) and offers positional versatility, a good bat & great speed.

From Jon Morosi:

José Ramírez could be available at the MLB trade deadline, with Cleveland losing tonight for the 5th time in 6 games and falling to .500. Ramírez's contract includes affordable team options for 2022 and 2023, so the club could wait until the offseason to move him.

The Mariners are one team to watch on José Ramírez. Seattle has a rich farm system and flexibility at 2B/3B in the near and medium term. Jerry Dipoto always is ready to deal. And if he makes a significant move, it needs to be for a controllable player.

---------------------------------------------------------

Less than 24 hours later & Morosi is walking back his tweet (posted above)

Jon Morosi

@jonmorosi

Update on José Ramírez: At this point, there aren’t active talks between Cleveland and other @MLB clubs on a Ramírez trade. The asking price is extremely high due to the contractual control mentioned here

https://fansided.com/2021/07/26/mlb-trade-deadline-rumors-brewers-angels/

“We are close to being a legit contender,” one high-ranking Brewers executive said. “If we can add some valuable pieces, we could legitimately win this thing.”

“We have affordable pitching and in our situation,” the executive said, “we should be doing whatever it takes to go for it and take advantage of this window.”

Community Moderator

“We are close to being a legit contender,” one high-ranking Brewers executive said. “If we can add some valuable pieces, we could legitimately win this thing.”

“We have affordable pitching and in our situation,” the executive said, “we should be doing whatever it takes to go for it and take advantage of this window.”

Robert Murray does seemingly have very good sources inside the Brewers front office, so I trust the quote.

Between this quote, and last week David Stearns giving what seemed like a slightly defensive answer to McCalvy when asked about adding a “big name player” (Link) it sure does seem like the front office is preparing to take a big swing at this deadline if presented the opportunity. It’s going to be a fascinating to see what this team looks like by next weekend.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Robert Murray does seemingly have very good sources inside the Brewers front office, so I trust the quote.

Between this quote, and last week David Stearns giving what seemed like a slightly defensive answer to McCalvy when asked about adding a “big name player” (Link) it sure does seem like the front office is going to take a big swing at this deadline if presented the opportunity. It’s going to be a fascinating to see what this team looks like by next weekend.

As always, there is the "temper your enthusiasm" quotes as well:

“What we talk about a lot this time of year is ‘Let’s focus on the acquisitions that are most likely to impact us in the win column, not always the acquisitions that are most likely to garner headlines.’ Sometimes those two can line up; they absolutely can. But sometimes they do not.

"Sometimes there are more under-the-radar moves that can have the biggest impact.” - David Stearns https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/columnists/tom-haudricourt/2021/07/23/milwaukee-brewers-assess-options-trade-deadline-nears/8070227002/

I don't care if they get a big name. Begging for big names (then getting upset if it doesn't happen) is something a 12-year-old does. If they make deals, I want them to be for valuable guys who are going to shore up this contending team.

Edited by Ron Robinson's Beard

Just remember the last big blockbuster trade we made was for Yelich in 2018 and before that it was CC in 2008 so these things don't happen very often. Would be exciting but I wouldn't be surprised at all if it's just a couple minor trades.

Edit: Forgot about the Greinke trade in 2010

I hope Stearns goes hard after Scherzer. I know the odds of us landing him might be slim but just imagine a rotation of Woodruff, Burnes, Scherzer and Peralta for the remainder of the regular season and into the playoffs.

I might be the only one that doesn't want Max, due to the cost. I'd rather go big for Freeman.

I hope Stearns goes hard after Scherzer. I know the odds of us landing him might be slim but just imagine a rotation of Woodruff, Burnes, Scherzer and Peralta for the remainder of the regular season and into the playoffs.

I might be the only one that doesn't want Max, due to the cost. I'd rather go big for Freeman.

You are not the only one.

My feeling on Freeman is he won't be traded. If he wants to resign with ATL I don't think he'd want a 2 month blip where he wasn't a Brave at the end of his career.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Keeping Scherzer away from certain other likely playoff teams would be nice, too.

Community Moderator

Another notable nugget tucked near the end of that Robert Murray article…

Multiple rival executives believe the chances of the Minnesota Twins trading Jose Berrios increased following reports that the team couldn’t come to an agreement on a long-term contract extension with outielder Byron Buxton.

I could see Berrios and his 1.5 years of team control netting a pretty good return for the Twins.

Jon Morosi

@jonmorosi

·

40s

Sources: #Twins discussing José Berríos in trade talks with multiple teams, including #Padres and #Dodgers.

@MLBNetwork

If they trade Berrios then it is a full scale rebuild and maybe there is a way the Brewers can get Donaldson without taking the whole contract.