Brewer Fanatic

2021-07-23: White Sox (Giolito) at Brewers (Peralta) [Brewers win, 7-1 -- Tyrone Taylor hits first career grand slam]

Eye Black
I only tuned in for the last inning. Why are the White Sox melting down? There was like one pitch that was even borderline.

They felt like they weren’t getting some calls when the Brewers were at the plate, which caused La Russa to get tossed. The pitches he was whining about were definitely balls though.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Brewers bullpen is not a strength lately.

Bullpen has a 2.79 ERA so far in July entering tonight, the 4th lowest mark in MLB.

4.55 FIP this month is less encouraging, but they've been keeping runs off the board at least.

Brewers sent 9 to the plate that inning, do you consider that batting around or nah?

I’ve always considered it batting around if every spot in the order comes up in an inning. But, apparently that isn’t a unanimous, or even majority, opinion.

For example, tonight an announcer might say “Wong is leading off here again in the 8th as the Brewers batted around in the 7th.”

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

The Brewers bullpen is not a strength lately.

Bullpen has a 2.79 ERA so far in July entering tonight, the 4th lowest mark in MLB.

4.55 FIP this month is less encouraging, but they've been keeping runs off the board at least.

I’m focusing on the more recent future, starting with Hader’s blown save against the Mets and subsequent two losses against the Reds, and then the impact of not having Williams and Boxberger available.

A part of the problem, or at least the perception of one, has been the number of games in which the margin for error has been so small because of low run production.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Brewers sent 9 to the plate that inning, do you consider that batting around or nah?

I’ve always considered it batting around if every spot in the order comes up in an inning. But, apparently that isn’t a unanimous, or even majority, opinion.

For example, tonight an announcer might say “Wong is leading off here again in the 8th as the Brewers batted around in the 7th.”

To me, it is when the first batter comes up again in the same inning.

Community Moderator

I consider it batting around as well, but I only recently found out that is indeed in the minority opinion.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I only tuned in for the last inning. Why are the White Sox melting down? There was like one pitch that was even borderline.

They felt like they weren’t getting some calls when the Brewers were at the plate, which caused La Russa to get tossed. The pitches he was whining about were definitely balls though.

LaRussa is smarter than to make a game about the umpires as opposed to the Brewers, he got himself tossed to wake his team up and given Anderson’s ejection it seems to have worked

Hope to see Taylor play regularly until Cain comes back.

Only two more games. It was announced earlier that Cain will be in Pittsburgh for the Pirates next week.

Play him the two or three games….

It would be sad to have maybe our best hitter against left handed pitching down in AAA. Is there any way to keep him around?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Hope to see Taylor play regularly until Cain comes back.

Only two more games. It was announced earlier that Cain will be in Pittsburgh for the Pirates next week.

Play him the two or three games….

It would be sad to have maybe our best hitter against left handed pitching down in AAA. Is there any way to keep him around?

Yeah ... send Hiura down on Tuesday. It would mean no RHH 1B, but it isn't like Hiura is doing anything to deserve playing time anyway. Both Peterson and Tellez aren't terrible against lefties.

Would be a little tougher to find time for 5 OFers, but I'm sure they can figure that out.

That’s what I hope they do. Taylor has a lot more value as a pinch hitter than Hiura, and Tellez and Peterson can produce more against those occasional left handed opposing starters than Hiura.

There might also be movement on a right handed hitter who can play 1B before the trade deadline. It’s unfortunate, but Hiura has virtually no value right now.

Archived