Brewer Fanatic

Turang for sale??

Are the Brewers in a position to put Turang up on the block?? With Adames making himself the future and Urias around as a good backup along with Wong Turang might be the best chip we have to get a guy who moves the needle. Anyone thinking he's not on the table??

Everyone is available for the right return.

Given Stearns & company's past deadline behavior I don't expect them to deal any of the higher profile guys at AA or above like Turang, Mitchell, Ashby or Small, though.

Given Stearns & company's past deadline behavior I don't expect them to deal any of the higher profile guys at AA or above like Turang, Mitchell, Ashby or Small, though.

I don't know. Lewis Brinson was our consensus #1 prospect. Ortiz was up there.

Community Moderator
I think Hiura or Turang are the pieces most likely to be involved in a trade for a true impact player that has control beyond this year. Obviously trading Hiura at his low point isn’t ideal. I hope they’ll place a high value on Turang, his Double-A stat line looks a lot more impressive when you sort by other 21 year olds playing at that level. The only 21 (or younger) player outhitting him in the Double-A South Division is the Rays’ Xavier Edwards. If Turang had gone to college this would’ve been his junior year, so it’s worth considering he still has a wide range of possible outcomes with his development.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Brinson was dealt during the offseason though. Maverick/Ortiz are probably the highest ranked guys (#4/5 on the 2018 BF.net Top 25) we've dealt at the deadline.

Phillips has been fun for sure & has posted 3+ WAR as a defense first 4th OF over parts of five seasons, but I think (hope?) the Brewers FO has a higher internal evaluation on Turang.

Brice is pretty similar to Brett in that his defense/speed combo gives him the floor of a backup IF, but Maverick has simply K'ed too much (36.3% K rate) to do anything on offense (73 OPS+), whereas Turang seemingly has a much better approach, which should hopefully allow him to be more productive at the plate despite a paucity of power.

I agree Brice is the best bet among the better prospects to be dealt, but given the MLB team needs (1B, RP, back end SP?) I think Stearns & company will go after rentals who don't require us to surrender anyone from the four aforementioned.

I won't be surprised if Stearns & company swing big at the deadline, but I'm not really expecting it either.

For me, the thing about Turang is, I imagine that Adames and Urias will both be better than Turang during the Peralta-Woody-Burnes window.

So if there's a way for Turang to be the lead in a deal for Mancini, Gallo, or Santana, count me in.

For me, the thing about Turang is, I imagine that Adames and Urias will both be better than Turang during the Peralta-Woody-Burnes window.

So if there's a way for Turang to be the lead in a deal for Mancini, Gallo, or Santana, count me in.

Why not Urias? He's not going to be a starting middle infielder before 2023 with Adames and Wong on the roster and maybe not even then depending on Wong's club option. Then the Brewers have Turang at SS in AA, he should be ready by 2023. They also just used a first round pick on Tyler Black, who is coming to pro-ball as an advanced hitter from college. He should also be knocking on the door at some point in 2023 as well.

Urias is passable as a 3B in the vein of Gio Urshela or Jeimer Candelario, but most of the perennial contenders have a third basemen who brings more power to the table: Arenado, Bryant, Devers, Turner, Donaldson, Bregman, Rendon, Machado, Jose Ramirez, etc., meaning the Brewers probably don't view him as a long term answer at 3B.

With four years of team control remaining, and a nice season under his belt he probably brings back the most talent for Milwaukee, and certainly more than Turang would.

But was good does trading Urias do for the 2021 Brewers? You’d be fixing one hole by creating another. Unless you’re packaging him as part of a deal for BOTH Rizzo and Bryant, you’re really just moving sideways.

But was good does trading Urias do for the 2021 Brewers? You’d be fixing one hole by creating another. Unless you’re packaging him as part of a deal for BOTH Rizzo and Bryant, you’re really just moving sideways.

Depends what you get I suppose. For some middling players, yeah it probably doesn't make sense. As part of a package to add a premium talent somewhere to the roster, that's different.

Depends what you get I suppose. For some middling players, yeah it probably doesn't make sense. As part of a package to add a premium talent somewhere to the roster, that's different.

Well, sort of. You’d have to subtract the regression at 3B from the value of the expected upgrade. Seems like trading Turang just makes more sense from an in-season perspective.

Well, sort of. You’d have to subtract the regression at 3B from the value of the expected upgrade. Seems like trading Turang just makes more sense from an in-season perspective.

Like I said, it depends who they could get in a package of players including Urias. Maybe you can flip Urias for Kyle Gibson. He's a 3.4 WAR player this year just moving him into the rotation and moving Anderson or Houser to the pen in place of Perdomo or Gustave etc. More than makes up for Urias AND allows the Brewers to lean less heavily on their Big 3 as they pitch more innings than they have before as pros.

Turang just isn't going to bring as much back for Milwaukee. The reality is there's a ton of prospect love on these boards, but Turang in 2021 isn't a Dansby Swanson or Trea Turner. In fact a shortstop in AA with a career OPS of .722 as a pro isn't a sure bet to see the big leagues. Urias on the other hand already has had success in the major leagues.

Why not Urias? He's not going to be a starting middle infielder before 2023 with Adames and Wong on the roster and maybe not even then depending on Wong's club option. Then the Brewers have Turang at SS in AA, he should be ready by 2023. They also just used a first round pick on Tyler Black, who is coming to pro-ball as an advanced hitter from college. He should also be knocking on the door at some point in 2023 as well.

Urias is passable as a 3B in the vein of Gio Urshela or Jeimer Candelario, but most of the perennial contenders have a third basemen who brings more power to the table: Arenado, Bryant, Devers, Turner, Donaldson, Bregman, Rendon, Machado, Jose Ramirez, etc., meaning the Brewers probably don't view him as a long term answer at 3B.

With four years of team control remaining, and a nice season under his belt he probably brings back the most talent for Milwaukee, and certainly more than Turang would.

I have thought a lot about whether I could get to trading Urias. I think your points are very good. Here's where I am.

1. I agree that he isn't a prototypical 3B, but he is currently providing middle-of-the-pack production.

2. Perhaps he won't be the future 3b in MKE, but an offseason opens up way more roster flexibility to look at ways to get better long term production at 3B.

3. 1B is our glaring hole. If we trade Urias for a 1B, we open a hole at 3B.

-- If Jace is the thing that fills either of these holes... he'd better stay hot. --

4. I would consider Urias in a trade for Jose Ramirez. He's probably the only "available" player I can think of.

Considering how poorly the Yelich trade crew turned out, Im guessing you will see Turang offered in trade if they lost faith in him or acquired a piece with team control that fills a need. So like Urias for Grisham trade.

Turang fwiw can obviously be headed a future at 2b/Utility after Wong's contract expires. So Adames imo doesn't block Turang atm. Do think team has options for same role which does make losing him less of impact. I'd be just fine trading Turang for something useful beyond just a rental.

Mitchell I would not trade.

I would not trade Urias. I believe he is blossoming, will be more impact hitter as he ages on through his prime. Things are beginning to click for him and add more confidence he and Adames will be a fantastic pair in top of lineup.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I would not trade Urias. I believe he is blossoming, will be more impact hitter as he ages on through his prime. Things are beginning to click for him and add more confidence he and Adames will be a fantastic pair in top of lineup.

Ditto. Dude is 24, and is just starting to mash. Giving him up now because he doesn't "fit the mold of other 3B" would be a terrible oversight IMO.

Yes. I think Turang goes in any major deal. Have to deal from strength.

I'd rather move Zamora while he still has value. Wasn't a fan of that pick. But not at all opposed to moving Turang.

Hell, they could move both Turang and Zamora. Still will have Hamilton, Cantrelle, and Garcia.

And if the knock on Urias is in regards to typical 3b power. He's at 13 HR now after a pretty poor start to the year. Post like April he's probably on a 25ish HR type pace, pretty normal or solid for a 3B really, especially in a massive down year for hitting.

My biggest concern on Urias is still every time he throws the ball.

Community Moderator
Like I said, it depends who they could get in a package of players including Urias. Maybe you can flip Urias for Kyle Gibson. He's a 3.4 WAR player this year just moving him into the rotation and moving Anderson or Houser to the pen in place of Perdomo or Gustave etc. More than makes up for Urias AND allows the Brewers to lean less heavily on their Big 3 as they pitch more innings than they have before as pros.

I wouldn’t mind the Brewers trading for a starting pitcher, but giving up Luis Urias for 1.5 years of Kyle Gibson is likely a zero sum game at best, with a high likelihood to be disastrous. Gibson has benefited from throwing 56 innings this season at pitcher friendly Globe Life Field. I wouldn’t have any faith in his season stat line continuing post trade. I would expect Gibson to regress towards his career norms, and that’s just too steep of a price to pay for someone that wouldn’t slot into the first three of your playoff rotation.

Turang just isn't going to bring as much back for Milwaukee. The reality is there's a ton of prospect love on these boards, but Turang in 2021 isn't a Dansby Swanson or Trea Turner. In fact a shortstop in AA with a career OPS of .722 as a pro isn't a sure bet to see the big leagues. Urias on the other hand already has had success in the major leagues.

Trying to prove any point using “career” Double-A stats for someone playing at the level for the first time who is more than 3.5 years young for the league seems disingenuous. Turang still has a lot of development to go, but he has the pedigree and potential to become a good major league player. Trent Grisham played in Double-A at Biloxi for the first time as a 21 year old (same age as Turang) and had a .693 OPS over 405 plate appearances. Grisham’s slugging percentage was also 60 points lower than Turang’s is currently.

Maybe I missed it, but I didn’t see anyone try to compare him those players mentioned (Swanson, Turner)? Turang is far from any sort of sure thing [obviously], but he still has more trade value than any Brewers prospect outside of Garrett Mitchell.

Turang isn’t close to being a finished product at this point, and the ceiling he has if he reaches his 75th percentile outcome or better is plenty high enough that he’ll maintain trade appeal for rebuilding teams. If a team is looking for certainty over ceiling, then sure Turang probably isn’t as appealing, but I think there are plenty of teams that would place a high value on his future potential.

Trying to prove any point using “career” Double-A stats for someone playing at the level for the first time who is more than 3.5 years young for the league seems disingenuous. Turang still has a lot of development to go, but he has the pedigree and potential to become a good major league player. Trent Grisham played in Double-A at Biloxi for the first time as a 21 year old (same age as Turang) and had a .693 OPS over 405 plate appearances. Grisham’s slugging percentage was also 60 points lower than Turang’s is currently.

Maybe I missed it, but I didn’t see anyone try to compare him those players mentioned (Swanson, Turner)? Turang is far from any sort of sure thing [obviously], but he still has more trade value than any Brewers prospect outside of Garrett Mitchell.

Turang isn’t close to being a finished product at this point, and the ceiling he has if he reaches his 75th percentile outcome or better is plenty high enough that he’ll maintain trade appeal for rebuilding teams. If a team is looking for certainty over ceiling, then sure Turang probably isn’t as appealing, but I think there are plenty of teams that would place a high value on his future potential.

Based on what? Some journalist’s “top prospect lists”? The scouting report when he was drafted was there were questions about his bat (why he was still available at #21 overall in the draft). 3+ years into his pro-career those questions still exist. Maybe he ends up reaching that 60 (20-80 scale) potential hit tool, and 40 power tool but he isn’t there now and it’s all speculation if/when he gets there.

He’s not a pitcher, he doesn’t have a dominant tool, he’s years away from the major leagues if he gets there at all. If you think he has the most value outside of Garret Mitchell we’ll just have to agree to disagree.

Community Moderator
Based on what? Some journalist’s “top prospect lists”? The scouting report when he was drafted was there were questions about his bat (why he was still available at #21 overall in the draft). 3+ years into his pro-career those questions still exist. Maybe he ends up reaching that 60 (20-80 scale) potential hit tool, and 40 power tool but he isn’t there now and it’s all speculation if/when he gets there.

He’s not a pitcher, he doesn’t have a dominant tool, he’s years away from the major leagues if he gets there at all. If you think he has the most value outside of Garret Mitchell we’ll just have to agree to disagree.

Being taken in the first round of the draft is typically an indication scouts and teams think you’re good at baseball. Also, while he may have been drafted 21st overall, he signed for the 15th largest bonus amount in 2018 ($3.411 million). Among all drafted high school players (those whom he had similar leverage as) only six signed for higher draft bonuses that year.

Turang’s likelihood of being a major leaguer seems pretty high since he already has the defensive skills to play the middle infield at the highest level, and is a plus runner. He doesn’t need to become an elite offensive player to be an every day major leaguer.

Regarding more recent scouting reports on his hitting, he was reportedly one of the most consistent hitters at the Brewers alternate site last summer, and led their internal “barrel board” according to Baseball America. He has added strength as well as changed both his approach and swing over the past year. He’s always shown good plate discipline, and he now reportedly has a shorter swing and is showing more power to his pull-side. Biloxi can be a difficult place for young hitters to perform, and Turang currently has a 102 wRC+. He is also carrying by far the lowest strikeout rate (15.8%) of any qualified hitter in Double-A that’s 21 years old or younger (next closest is Toronto’s Jordan Groshans at 20.3%). His walk rate has plummeted quite a bit this season (which may be part of his approach change), but for his career it has typically been very good.

Turang remains one of the better hopes the Brewers have had in recent years to develop a solid every day position player. If they decide to trade him to win now, that’s fine, but I don’t think suggesting “Turang won’t bring Milwaukee much back in trade” is true. And if it were true then they certainly shouldn’t trade him at this point.

He has a very good hit tool. He has always lacked pop, but as Eye Black aptly points out, he’s considerably young for AA and has room to get stronger and drive the ball into gaps more. He also bats left handed and plays a premium position. He has more than plus speed. He carries himself with confidence that instills belief in him. You put that all together and he’s an attractive prospect. He’s going to hit, get on base, run, play middle infield, bring a lefthanded bat. Those are a lot of positive factors that outweigh any concern over his slugging. Not many prospects have that long of a list of attributes. I think you’re talking about a guy who will play every day in the middle infield, get on base, and run. With all the player control he carries, he fits the profile of a guy Stearns will want to keep unless he gets controllable talent back. If he’s dealt for somebody with less than two years of control (i.e., a rental or a semi-rental), it would be for an impact player. I couldn’t disagree more that he lacks value and I am confident Stearns and Arnold wouldn’t disagree with anything I just said. IMO.

Archived